r9 290x issues ~ After monitor turns off vid card will not wake up

manilaboy1vic

Weaksauce
Hi - Ill start off with sys specs:

cpu: amd fx-8350
ram: adata xpg v1.0 series 16gb (2 x 8gb)
hdd: samsung 840 pro series
psu: corsair rm850
vga: xfx double dissipation r9-290x-edfd radeon r9 290x
Display Driver: amd-catalyst-14-9-win7-win8.1-64bit-dd-ccc-whql.exe
mobo: asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0

this is running on dual monitor setup.. and using DVI cabling.

running into a bit of trouble with a new vid card.

I just installed the R9 290x last friday..

The install went fine, I removed my old cards, installed the new card, removed the drivers, installed updated drivers.. played games, etc..

Next day, monitor says no signal, so reboot, play games, etc.. next day, monitor says no signal.. i move the mouse, hit enter on keyboard.. mobo beeps, one long beep, 3 short beeps.. (VGA FAIL) reboot, beeps again, reboot beeps again,, let it sit for 10m, then reboot and i have VGA signal..

I have my monitor to turn off after 20m of no activity.. screensaver comes on after 10m of no activity, nothing unusual here... typical pc settings..

so last night i did a full wipe of display drivers and disabled ULPS, this morning, no signal.. reboot, beeps right away, wait 10m, boots up fine.

ive done a lot of searching regarding the no wake up issue, i see alot of threads on it... is there a real fix for this..? Or should i follow through with the RMA and try a dif. card?

If I set my screensaver to start after 1m and turn off monitor after 5m and come back in 15m its fine.. it really only seems like it doesnt wake if i check it the next day.. it will not wake if the PC is idle for 5+ hrs. I do not have my PC set to sleep in power mgmt settings.. just screensaver and turn off monitor.

i did not have this issue with my 7870s CF.. but the driver was definately not the latest either..

thanks,

Last edited:
Have you tried the 14.4 drivers? My 290x does this with the 14.9 drivers and it's my only issue with them. Everything works fine for me with 14.4's so I've stuck with those for now.

Thanks, I will try that tonight.. If I wake up in the morning and the video card does not wake up, its going back to newegg..

I do not know when my WIN was last updated to be honest,, i usually get a NOTIF if there is something to install.. all I know is, my CF 7870s never had a problem waking up, but I def. was using 13.x drivers for those cards... This is really frustrating.. and my issue seems to be if its idle for hours.. like when I go to bed.. I wake up and move my mouse and get the "no signal" on the monitor..

I don't let my computer sleep and power it on when I'm using it and shut it down when I'm stepping away usually. But it's interesting that 2 threads from each side of the fence pop up at the same time with the same problem.

it actually doesnt go to sleep.. only settings i use is:

screensaver after 10m, monitors off after 20m, sleep never.. i keep my pcs running all the time.. never shut them down..

it actually doesnt go to sleep.. only settings i use is:

screensaver after 10m, monitors off after 20m, sleep never.. i keep my pcs running all the time.. never shut them down..

Sorry about that I missed that part in the OP, It's possible the guy on the other thread is doing the same thing as he says he gets no video but he can access the pc still through remote client software.

Sorry about that I missed that part in the OP, It's possible the guy on the other thread is doing the same thing as he says he gets no video but he can access the pc still through remote client software.

No problem. I have something to try tonight...

Try drivers 14.4 with ULPS disabled.. if i get the "no signal" problem, will try to disable the secondary monitor to see if that helps (turn it off & unplug DVI cable)

If i cant get in, Ill RDP it to reboot, dont like just hitting the power button to kill it..

Ill give it until tomorrow morning, if i wake up in the morning and cant get into the computer, I will processing an RMA for a replacement.. Ive read threads where end users got an RMA and it solved their issue.

Also, I opened a trouble ticket with XFX this morning and still have not heard back.

just updating this log:

i removed the 14.9 display drivers
updated windows updates (there was of framework updates)
installed 14.4 drivers.

per my window pwr savings, the monitors turned off after 20m of no activity, I let the pc sit like that for 2hrs, came back and no issues.. crossing fingers that the win update and 14.4 are the sweet spot for my issue.

I did not disable UPLS, wondering if i should even do that

I have that same problem sporadically with my system in sig. I am connected to my ROG Swift with DisplayPort. I find that if I unplug and replug the displayport cable it turns the monitor back on. Have you tried physically disconnecting and reconnecting your display? DP is easy to unplug and replug so for me I don't mind as much, although I imagine a DVI connection would make that fix a pain in the ass.

I have that same problem sporadically with my system in sig. I am connected to my ROG Swift with DisplayPort. I find that if I unplug and replug the displayport cable it turns the monitor back on. Have you tried physically disconnecting and reconnecting your display? DP is easy to unplug and replug so for me I don't mind as much, although I imagine a DVI connection would make that fix a pain in the ass.

i just got an asus 27in vg278he and it only has hdmi, vga, and dvi :/

i wanted to get that rog swift but its sold out everywhere.. how you liking it? wonder if one r9 290x would be enough gpu horsepower for that thing, but yea i disconnected the from the gpu ports.. will try again to make sure..

Update:

This morning "no signal" issue.. the D@mn vid card does not want to wake up after several hours of being idle.. :mad:

It woke up after 2hrs of being idle and ULPS enabled. it consistently does not wake up after turning in for the night and checking it 1st thing when I wake up...

i just got an asus 27in vg278he and it only has hdmi, vga, and dvi :/

i wanted to get that rog swift but its sold out everywhere.. how you liking it? wonder if one r9 290x would be enough gpu horsepower for that thing, but yea i disconnected the from the gpu ports.. will try again to make sure..
At 1440p, you won't be able to drive 120fps in most games. You would need CrossFire or SLI. I would probably recommend you go with NVIDIA GPUs if you are going to get this monitor. It works fine on AMD for sure, but you are paying around $200 for GSYNC which is NVIDIA only, LightBoost on this monitor only works on NVIDIA, and you can only use 120hz with an AMD card. At least I haven't seen anyone who's gotten 144hz to work on AMD. I can enable it, but my screen tears and flickers even with the included short DP cable that is intended for 144hz.

At 1440p, you won't be able to drive 120fps in most games. You would need CrossFire or SLI. I would probably recommend you go with NVIDIA GPUs if you are going to get this monitor. It works fine on AMD for sure, but you are paying around $200 for GSYNC which is NVIDIA only, LightBoost on this monitor only works on NVIDIA, and you can only use 120hz with an AMD card. At least I haven't seen anyone who's gotten 144hz to work on AMD. I can enable it, but my screen tears and flickers even with the included short DP cable that is intended for 144hz.

funny you mention nvidia. im looking at the gtx 980 right now.. im calling newegg shortly to see if i can exchange my 290x for the gtx 980.. just get it over with.. pay the extra cash..

funny you mention nvidia. im looking at the gtx 980 right now.. im calling newegg shortly to see if i can exchange my 290x for the gtx 980.. just get it over with.. pay the extra cash..
Well I was specifically referring to use with a ROG Swift monitor, but the 980 is a fine card regardless.

I just called newegg.. i explained that every morning i have to reboot in order to get a display on my screen.. they are shipping me a UPS label and giving me store credit for the full amount of the video card..

so long r9 290x, hello gtx 980 ~ a vid card not being able to wake up is a defect wether it be drivers or hardware.. not killing pwr to my PC everyday.. uneeded wear and tear on the other components...

Last edited:
I just called newegg.. i explained that every morning i have to reboot in order to get a display on my screen.. they are shipping me a UPS label and giving me store credit for the full amount of the video card..

so long r9 290x, hello gtx 980 ~ a vid card not being able to wake up is a defect wether it be drivers or hardware.. not killing pwr to my PC everyday.. uneeded wear and tear on the other components...

I hope you have better luck on the green team... although I'd throughly laugh my ass off if it still happens :D

I hope you have better luck on the green team... although I'd throughly laugh my ass off if it still happens :D

:D

Was not happening with my CF 7870s on older drivers tho.. I really am undecided.. the gtx 980 is sold out now on newegg..

I read on the 14.9 release notes that the idle issue happens after maxing out the GPU (playing games for an hour or so).. Ill see what happens when I get home; rebooted this AM and no load on the gpu what so ever today.... if it wakes then there might be a chance AMD can fix it and ill keep the 290x ;)

my main worry is.. if i disable put monitor to sleep and the screen saver fails..and i forget to turn off the monitor.. screen burn on a new monitor would upset me.

I just started experiencing the same thing after updating to the latest driver. It indeed has been happening after gaming and then letting the monitor go to sleep. I tend to leave my PC on when downloading Steam games and the like overnight. I didn't notice it the first few days, but I also was not gaming on it on those days. Now that I have some games installed/downloaded, this is disappointing.

Does restarting the PC fix the issue or does it have to be shut down completely? It wouldn't be the worst thing if I simply had to reboot after gaming to keep this from happening.

my main worry is.. if i disable put monitor to sleep and the screen saver fails..and i forget to turn off the monitor.. screen burn on a new monitor would upset me.
This isn't 2002, LCDs don't screen burn anymore.

I just started experiencing the same thing after updating to the latest driver. It indeed has been happening after gaming and then letting the monitor go to sleep. I tend to leave my PC on when downloading Steam games and the like overnight. I didn't notice it the first few days, but I also was not gaming on it on those days. Now that I have some games installed/downloaded, this is disappointing.

Does restarting the PC fix the issue or does it have to be shut down completely? It wouldn't be the worst thing if I simply had to reboot after gaming to keep this from happening.

I have not choice but to hold the power button down in the AM. No signal to any monitors.. I have not done a reboot immediately after hours of gaming..

So to add to the mystery/confusion:

This morning "no signal", (gamed last night)
killed the power this AM, left the secondary DVI unplugged from the GPU and come home and move the mouse and the GPU comes out of sleep/idle.. what the heck.. :confused:

I had the same thing on my current card. Personally I think it plagues a lot of AMD configurations out there. Happened in Win 7 and Win 8.1. I disabled PCI-E Power State or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_State_Power_Management

Its pointless on PCs especially if your sleep state is close to your monitor power off, like min is (20 mins and 1 hour to sleep).

Also you can try the second DVI port on your graphics cards. I had this fix a friend's computer.

I had the same thing on my current card. Personally I think it plagues a lot of AMD configurations out there. Happened in Win 7 and Win 8.1. I disabled PCI-E Power State or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_State_Power_Management

Its pointless on PCs especially if your sleep state is close to your monitor power off, like min is (20 mins and 1 hour to sleep).

Also you can try the second DVI port on your graphics cards. I had this fix a friend's computer.

whats pointless??

I have two monitors going.. it only happens if im on a gaming bender for like more than 3-4 hrs.. finally i hit the hay, then wake up and the gpu is unresponsive.. i dunno. anyway my PCI-E power state is off. that makes no dif.

so latest log update, it came out of sleep state twice today...

hard boot at 6am.. after 8 hrs (at work) came home and gpu responsive then:

wiped drivers via control panel and DUU.. re-installed 14.9 because 14.4 was funky.. compared to 14.9,

windows update.. then:

played 1 round of COD..

went to beach to surf, cleaned fish tanks, ate dinner, and gpu woke up about 7:35PM PST.. so about 2hrs after maxing GPU for 1 round of COD..

COD loaded now at 7:47 pm pst.. will update log right before i hit the hay

Try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete. I have the same issue happen and that gets the signal back.

Try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete. I have the same issue happen and that gets the signal back.

Tried that and tried winkey+l no go.. im not giving up yet.. i like this card.. i really dont wanna send it back then pay another 300 for the gtx 980, id rather NOT do that... at least im not crashing in game or while doing other things.. its clearly a zerocore issue.. dont like the no wake from monitor sleep issue tho.. just irks me.

end gaming: 9:15

so most recent gaming session: 7:35pm to 9:15pm

I'd say it's the drivers. I couldn't get 14.9 working. I have the same symptoms. I leave the computer on and it never wakes. I think there are some new beta drivers. You can always try those.

log update:

no signal this AM... GPU fans are spinning.. Cannot VNC into the WIN box from my Freebsd box connected on the same LAN segment. Tested VNC night last and it def. does work, but this AM is a no go.. i left the pc the way it is.. no signal all day, maybe it will come out of idle when i get home from work.

looking at an RMA it seems.. gtx 980 or 970

Last edited:
Alright, ive decided to give it one more go.. im going to try the drivers i used with my crossfire setup.. 13.12.. this is my last resort.

log update:

Good ole 13.12!! wakes up after long idle and hard gaming.. no mantle tho for bf4 :/ no game crashes..

log update:

trying the latest drivers again.. since I know that 13.12 works..

this time around, im going use "sleep" mode. I have a feeling that the card does a repost when coming out of sleep..

AMD cards have been not waking up from sleep since the first Mantle build at least. That's why I love my Silverstone RV03. The motherboard is turn 90 degrees so the DVI cable is easy to unhook and hook back up. It's right on top of the case. :) That wakes the card up 100% of the time. AMD really should fix that shit though. I wouldn't expect a normal consumer to know what to do or want to do it.

AMD cards have been not waking up from sleep since the first Mantle build at least. That's why I love my Silverstone RV03. The motherboard is turn 90 degrees so the DVI cable is easy to unhook and hook back up. It's right on top of the case. :) That wakes the card up 100% of the time. AMD really should fix that shit though. I wouldn't expect a normal consumer to know what to do or want to do it.

unplugging the dvi cable doesnt bring the signal back unfortunately... i have to do a hard reset... im thinking the sleep mode will do make the vid card do a re-POST.. signal came back this AM will test more over the next few days

whats pointless??

I have two monitors going.. it only happens if im on a gaming bender for like more than 3-4 hrs.. finally i hit the hay, then wake up and the gpu is unresponsive.. i dunno. anyway my PCI-E power state is off. that makes no dif.

PCI-E power states

Back