R9 290X and Radeon 7950 in crossfire?

jcagara08

Limp Gawd
Hey guys I was just wondering if it is possible to crossfire an R9 290X with a Radeon 7950? Presently I have the 7950 Boost edition (6+8 pin power port) and I will be using a Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 micro ATX mobo which has 3 PCI express slots which are as follows X16 X8 and X4. Am I better off with one GPU the R9 290X (which I am looking to buy) or get another 7950/R9 280 and crossfire these babies?
I do have some spacing issues as I already purchased the Cooler Master N200 which only has 4 expansion slots which can face some Heat and Performance issues?
A little bit of an advice might help though!
10571_big.png

13_fc932dbfddd0226e723e5f6cbe1e3e38_1366066083.jpg

13_6b1b299b73d1c77bc53be52fe0291146_1366066083.jpg

don't think so. The 7950 uses the bridge, the 290X does not. At any rate for the moment, not sure if mantle has yet to allow mixing of cards for crossfire. Most games still use AFR, meaning each GPU takes turns producing frames, so the 290X would have to revert to the 7950s level and that seems such a waste of a GPU.

And if that is your MoBo doesn't look like like you would have room, the 290X is a 2 slot card. You would have to Watercool.

don't think so. The 7950 uses the bridge, the 290X does not. At any rate for the moment, not sure if mantle has yet to allow mixing of cards for crossfire. Most games still use AFR, meaning each GPU takes turns producing frames, so the 290X would have to revert to the 7950s level and that seems such a waste of a GPU.

And if that is your MoBo doesn't look like like you would have room, the 290X is a 2 slot card. You would have to Watercool.

Yes exactly as I thought it would be..
But for sure another R9 280/7950 wouldn't hurt my budget but should I be better off with a single R9 290X or a GTX 970 as of the moment?
all the parts are on the way to me now as of the moment and I will be using an Intel Core i5 4690K.

Thanks for your reply buddy!

Well if you've a choice or if it is within your budget - go for the single best card that you can afford.
CF is good but some games lack support and even among the ones that officially support CF, the performance improvements are all over the place.

So my suggestion would be to get a 290X/970 or wait to see what AMD is getting ready to offer within the next couple of months.

single card all day. A 290 is a good boost up but so is waiting. I sold my 7950 bc i got a 290 for under $200.

From all reports, we are on a time frame of around the end of February, beginning of March for the new Nvidia/AMD high end card releases if they stick to schedules from years past.

I would wait for a little while longer.

Yes thanks to all of your wise replies, as I have half way finished my build I realized that CF for my mobo and case is quite tight, ya'll guys think a Sapphire R9 290X with reference cooling in CF might be a good idea? I know heat..heat everywhere, I can score the said card right now at $270 bucks each, a good deal or nay?

Are the upcoming GPUs from AMD will have a die shrinked version? An answer to that GTX 980/970 blow months ago? Would love to see that! Its like Pacquiao taunting Mayweather..I am still down with the Red Team BTW

Are the upcoming GPUs from AMD will have a die shrinked version? An answer to that GTX 980/970 blow months ago? Would love to see that! Its like Pacquiao taunting Mayweather..I am still down with the Red Team BTW

That remains to be seen. From everything I have read, the upcoming GPU's from AMD and Nvidia are still at 28nm. The AMD GPU's will be using the stacked memory while the Nvidia GPU's will still use DDR5 memory. 16/20nm will come later this year or early next...

This is all conjecture at this point because we all read the same rumors.

The 7950 crossfires with R9 280X only (which is really just a rebadged & tweaked 7970)

I have this setup myself, but now I regret going for it since it doesn't work in most of the games I play.I'm even thinking of selling my cards and getting a GTX 970, even though technically together they have more computing power than even a single GTX 980 or a R9 290X.

I don't think I will go crossfire again in the future unless support drastically improves. It's just not worth it, unless you know for sure that the game(s) you are playing support it without issues.

always a technical issue with dual cards.
next gen is when the single cards becomes at the level I wanted them to be for a while.

The only thing that crossfires with a 290x is another 290x. (or 295x2 if you're rich)

Back