R9 290x Aftermarket Coolers?

I don't usually run those settings. I've settled for 800/1250 for 720khs and undervolted. Big difference in wattage used. It's almost 100W less than at my max settings. The fan setting is still somewhat high at 50%. Still less than a blow dryer.

That's what i'm talking about. bingo. ;)

ive seen postings of people getting over 1000khs on r9, but i dont know how valid those results are.

I'm surprised at your vrm temp.
My 290 running as a 290x on an Xtreme III cooler has a max vrm temp of 55C running Heaven 4 at stock 290x speeds (1000/1250), stock volts.
I used L shaped heatsinks (from the Xtreme III kit) on the vrms with minimal amount of glue, in case that matters.

I've not had anywhere near an issue with gaming, temps dont reach that of running heaven.
With +100mV on the core, max vrm temp running heaven 4.0 was 75C.
Can you do the same test?

ive seen postings of people getting over 1000khs on r9, but i dont know how valid those results are.

I think it's valid on a 290X, but you have to take into account cooling used. At stock that blower is spinning mighty high.

The day may come (again) where hash rate is more important than power used. That day aint here. ;)
At (only) 0.22 kwhr when I pass a certain threshold, energy ain't cheap! Obligatory shot of something I want:
http://www.stomped.me/pics/case/100_0249.JPG

You know what. I never knew my electric bill charges.. I never paid attention until now. 100 bucks last month? hmm..okay.

You got one... fire it up. Make some coins. Tell us what you get.

I'm surprised at your vrm temp.
My 290 running as a 290x on an Xtreme III cooler has a max vrm temp of 55C running Heaven 4 at stock 290x speeds (1000/1250), stock volts.
I used L shaped heatsinks (from the Xtreme III kit) on the vrms with minimal amount of glue, in case that matters.

I've not had anywhere near an issue with gaming, temps dont reach that of running heaven.
With +100mV on the core, max vrm temp running heaven 4.0 was 75C.
Can you do the same test?

If you're talking to me... my VRM1 got blasted to 105c by MSI's version of furmark. Under heaven it looked alright 70c or so.. but the monitoring software was causing hiccups. My R9 is in a cheapo celeron-powered system just for mining. I would put it in my main rig and run heaven for an hour or so.. but i'm kinda cruising making my bit of coin. I've been deconstructing and reconstructing my systems for a few weeks now, getting them mining-ready... or at least what I think is mining ready... I want to let them go for a while.

And i'm about to get drunk soon so... happy new year!

Last edited:
You know what. I never knew my electric bill charges.. I never paid attention until now. 100 bucks last month? hmm..okay.

You don't know your rate? MUHAHAHAHAHA!!! Prepare for the reckoning!
(Wait why am I laughing... my underwear is bracing for the next bill...)

You don't know your rate? MUHAHAHAHAHA!!! Prepare for the reckoning!
(Wait why am I laughing... my underwear is bracing for the next bill...)

I know it now.

0.09417​ Kw/h Winter rate. There's so many charges and taxes.. I don't know if they are included in that rate or not. I'm about 4 dollars a day right now. According to that price- the website says I'm using. My last month was 110 without mining. I'm guessing about 160-170 this month since I use no heat other than my rigs.

Right now, I'm making more than 4 dollars a day. I just banked a few shekels. I have no illusions. If I make ROI before the rate hike in April, I'll be thankful.

Anyone using the NZXT bracket solution with Crossfire 290s? Which water cooler did you hook to the bracket? And have pics of how you mounted them?

Anyone using the NZXT bracket solution with Crossfire 290s? Which water cooler did you hook to the bracket? And have pics of how you mounted them?

I ordered one yesterday. I picked up a h55 for $40 at bb, I will be using that. I am still trying to find some ram and vrm heat sinks.

Anyone here know the height of the Gelid? The specs say 52mm which seems really thick to me. I have a 290 and I'm assuming it will take up 3 slots with the Gelid on? Thanks.

Anyone here know the height of the Gelid? The specs say 52mm which seems really thick to me. I have a 290 and I'm assuming it will take up 3 slots with the Gelid on? Thanks.

My Gelid def takes up 3 slots. But you really need 4 so that it gets fresh air

From my experience with 3 cards, stock settings R9 290's get 800khash base. Properly overclocked and optimized they can get close to 900. If the memory doesn't overclock to 1500mhz they can't get above 800. Actually, my hash diminished if I overclocked from 1250mhz and less than 1400mhz. At 1400 I broke even with stock memory speeds, and 1500mhz was optimal and the max I could overclock to.

There is an awesome routine out there that will test all of your clock settings and memory speeds, plus thread concurrency and record hash rates every interval in a master file.

http://www.holynerdvana.com/2013/12/cgminer-optimal-thread-concurrency-for.html

Realistically you need 4 slots for the Gelid and Arctic Cooling aftermarket coolers.

Realistically you need 4 slots for the Gelid and Arctic Cooling aftermarket coolers.

I was afraid of that. There goes my Soundblaster Z.

The Xtreme III is such a very good cooler that it will work fine if a 120mm fan is placed blowing down onto it when placed next to another card.

With full breathing space, my max load temp during any game is 55C, stacks of headroom.

My case is the Corsair 350D which is microATX. Also has no side fan. May have to switch to a USB based sound card.:mad:

I might not even use the Gelid except I keep hearing some type of noise coming from the card. Almost a rattling sound. Doesn't last long, but will arbitrarily come up. I figure it's the fan doing something weird.

If you're talking to me... my VRM1 got blasted to 105c by MSI's version of furmark. Under heaven it looked alright 70c or so.. but the monitoring software was causing hiccups. My R9 is in a cheapo celeron-powered system just for mining. I would put it in my main rig and run heaven for an hour or so.. but i'm kinda cruising making my bit of coin. I've been deconstructing and reconstructing my systems for a few weeks now, getting them mining-ready... or at least what I think is mining ready... I want to let them go for a while.

And i'm about to get drunk soon so... happy new year!

Soz I missed your post.

I wont run furmark as it serves no purpose and wears out the card rapidly.
If I'm Heaven stable, its stable in practically everything, with my past card as well (GTX580 with Accelero Xtreme).
If I had an issue, I increased the voltage or reduce the overclock slightly, no need to harm the card to find out what it can do.
After all a return to desktop during a game harms nothing, takes a moment to correct and doesnt need long testing sessions at max power.

With my 290x, max temp running heaven for 30-40 mins was 55C on the core and highest temp VRM.
I havent exceeded 55C playing any game.
Case airflow is important too, I'm using an Antec 900 with fans on slowest speed.

Happy new year to you too :)

My case is the Corsair 350D which is microATX. Also has no side fan. May have to switch to a USB based sound card.:mad:

I might not even use the Gelid except I keep hearing some type of noise coming from the card. Almost a rattling sound. Doesn't last long, but will arbitrarily come up. I figure it's the fan doing something weird.

With low case airflow and a high power card, you really should use an external venting cooler or water.

There may be something you can do.
Try making all case fans into intake fans and open up the rear PCI/PCI-E case holes (unused ones) to let hot air escape.
If there arent many holes, find other places to open up that will let the hot air escape.
If there is space over the rear case holes fit a fan blowing/drawing air out, you can fit a fan on the outside of the case if that helps.

There may be something you can do.
Try making all case fans into intake fans and open up the rear PCI/PCI-E case holes (unused ones) to let hot air escape.
If there arent many holes, find other places to open up that will let the hot air escape.
If there is space over the rear case holes fit a fan blowing/drawing air out, you can fit a fan on the outside of the case if that helps.

Thanks, but not having any heat issues. I've got front 140 intake and 2 top 140 out fans plus the Corsair H75 pulling in air for the CPU. I'm just not happy with the rattling I keep hearing.

I installed the Accellero today and am very happy with the results. At 1050/1375 it maxes out at 60C GPU and 70C VRM1 and 54C VRM2. No more throttling, no more fan noise, this is how the 290 should have been from day 1.

its also a 3 slot solution.

AMD is never going to do that.
Of course not, but AMD certainly has a lot of room to improve their cooler and still fit into the 2 slot restriction. There's a 35C delta between aftermarket 3 slot coolers and AMD's 2 slot cooler.

Watercool them.:D The end.

The Acceleros are awesome, but they are so fucking huge, you're limited to one GPU unless you have a giant motherboard.

Here's your ill-advised ghetto mod of the week. Place a corsair CFM fan from an H80i right on the back of the VRM. 15c drop immediately. Fuzzy MSI (furmark) went from 105c to 90c. I'm sure the more industrious sorts can find a much better way to rig that fan there. But it's highly advised if you want to knock that VRM1 temp down. Better versions of these fans are what 15-20 bucks?

2rr51zk.jpg

hahahaha

that is pretty ghetto...

i might try that with my gelid icy.

debating between keeping my reference sapphire 290x or getting a windforce 290x and not deal with aftermarket cooling.

BUMP
Acquired a reference Gigabyte 290. Yes, it's f'ing loud. toooo loud, and throttles like crazy when pushed hard. But, the price was more than right and it seems to have a lot of potential.

Anyone using the Accelero Xtreme IV ?

I was going to try it, combined with this VRM kit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426042

Thoughts? Only drawback seems to be the space it eats up inside the case. Some people don't like the new version of the Accelero Xtreme due to not having ram sinks, but I don't see the need for them. My goal is to have it WAY quieter and to basically NEVER throttle the GPU when being pushed.

I'm using the Xtreme III with glued vrm and ram sinks, its very good.
The Xtreme IV has a "backside cooler" for the vrms and ram that doesnt need any gluing.
http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/accelero-xtreme-iv.html
But if going for extreme clocks, I agree that glued sinks will be better.
I would use both methods and get more extreme cooling of ram and VRMs.

Its a bit big but I would have got one if it was available at the time.
Looks like it could be a good cooler, I'm puzzled why there are no reviews from mainstream sites and no 290x reviews.
I found a really crap 280x review where they didnt even try overclocking lol, the card was nowhere near thermally limited with the stock sink!
http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/arctic-accelero-xtreme-iv-280x-gpu-cooler-review/

This guy used both methods to cool the ram and VRMs, but his vrm temps are too high imo @ 77C, 59C.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2385368
When running Heaven 4, my highest vrms are 68C, 54C and core temp is 63C, 290x at stock clocks.
He was running Unigine Valley, results should be similar.

He could have ambient temps way above mine but he doesnt mention them. Mine were around 22C.
If his ambient is 10 or 15C above mine, his results are on par.
I suspect a problem with how he fitted it.

Quick report:

The Arctic Accelero Extreme IV rocks!

(please excuse the lousy cell phone pics)

I also used the Gelid VRM 290 kit (two heatsinks for the VRM areas as seen below) and NO ram sinks. This does not come with any ram sinks:
14958579792_791be37952_c.jpg

Thermal pad placement before installing the heatsink on the back:
14772260980_a7ea5309a6_c.jpg

It's HUGE - but I was ready to do anything to have a quiet pc again:
14958988475_c99d64c91c_c.jpg

This heatsink for the back seems to get pretty warm, so it's definitely functioning as designed:
14958952805_4143e1cbed_c.jpg

If your video card slot is the one CLOSEST to the ram/cpu you may not be able to fit one of these in. Luckily with my board, there was an unused PCI-E slot between the first full length x16 slot and the cpu/ram

This cooler is barely noticeable at 100% fan speed. Now the card doesn't really go higher than 70c, and the VRM1 gets up to 71c, VRM2 gets up to 61c while looping the Unigine Heaven benchmark at 1102MHz core speed.

Running the card at 1102 MHz core, 1400 MHz memory speed. The core speed stays maxed now as well, and doesn't throttle down.

Running Furmark (omg yes furmark) for 15 minutes the VRM1 temp got to 86c, with VRM2 at 73c. Core got up to 72c

Last edited:
Back