R9 290/X AIB Cards

That would depend solely on the block that you buy.

I am aware there are universal blocks, but these require alternate methods to cool the memory and vrm, don't they? This is why so often full blocks are recommended, isn't it? I'm not totally adverse to the idea, but you have to admit there is a cost associated.

As it so happens, I got impatient and just bought an XFX 290 w/BF4 from Newegg with the 5% off code. $379, plus I will resell the code. The saving, plus the cash for the code will almost pay for the Arctic cooler when they come back in stock, if necessary. I guess I will find out for myself how loud the cooler actually is.

I just ordered a PowerColor R9 290, It should be here friday. I think ill use it until they announce the non-reference then return it and get one of those.

Oh FFS.

I was going to pull the trigger on either 2x 290X or 2x 780Ti TODAY!

Now there's a suggestion of AIBs next week.

Argh!

Oh FFS.

I was going to pull the trigger on either 2x 290X or 2x 780Ti TODAY!

Now there's a suggestion of AIBs next week.

Argh!

Wait until AFTER Christmas, recent consumer history shows vividly that you're (almost) guaranteed to get a much better deal than the pre-Christmas rush. I understand that Christmas holidays is when you generally have time to -play- on your computer, and you want the latest shiny, but really, you can save a heap of money by buying in the inevitable post Christmas sales.

I'm waiting. Also because I want to see the non-reference cooler performance on the R9 290, if it isn't cutting it even with 'better' cooling (I am not keen on 70C+ video card silicon in summer, and 95C is just not tenable in my situation.) Post Christmas / New Year sales should have some great bargains.

People are holding off their AMD R9 purchases for non-reference-cooler implementations. It's a wise decision. Although, if you can afford to drop ~$US1400+ on a pair of GTX780ti video cards and not be wincing, then half yer luck!

Aussie prices are $AU850 -each- for those cards, so $AU1700 (about ~$US1,535 @ $AU1.00 = $US0.90 current exchange rate)

Scorptec current 780ti prices

I wonder if they'll offer an Asus Matrix 290X; I've always enjoyed the RoG Matrix line, if available. At the moment, I'm definitely leaning towards a 290X myself, preferably a non-reference design (though, if the reference designs are cheap enough, maybe one of those ARCTIC Accelero coolers would be a good idea), as the latest comparison shows that the 290X equals the performance of the 780 Ti at even super high resolutions, and for a lot less money - and things will only get better with non-ref 290Xs.

I'd be willing to wait until after the holidays, but it would be nice to see the non-reference ones debut in the next week at retail.

Wait until AFTER Christmas, recent consumer history shows vividly that you're (almost) guaranteed to get a much better deal than the pre-Christmas rush. I understand that Christmas holidays is when you generally have time to -play- on your computer, and you want the latest shiny, but really, you can save a heap of money by buying in the inevitable post Christmas sales.

I'm waiting. Also because I want to see the non-reference cooler performance on the R9 290, if it isn't cutting it even with 'better' cooling (I am not keen on 70C+ video card silicon in summer, and 95C is just not tenable in my situation.) Post Christmas / New Year sales should have some great bargains.

People are holding off their AMD R9 purchases for non-reference-cooler implementations. It's a wise decision. Although, if you can afford to drop ~$US1400+ on a pair of GTX780ti video cards and not be wincing, then half yer luck!

Aussie prices are $AU850 -each- for those cards, so $AU1700 (about ~$US1,535 @ $AU1.00 = $US0.90 current exchange rate)

Scorptec current 780ti prices

Normally I would agree 100% with you, but not in this case, this is why: There were no deals during Black Friday on either the 7970 or 280X, reason being is twofold, high demand for mining and low stock, as a matter of fact EVERY single of these models is completely sold out on newegg after two batches being sent out. I expect the exact same thing to happen with the 290/X's so if you really want to score one of these cards it's not about getting a great deal but actually being able to get one before they sell out, and who knows when retailers will be getting a second batch. I just don't see them lowering the prices with such high demand and low volume of cards.

The real question will the non-ref designs be significantly better performing/allow for silly clocks?

If the chip is simply at it's limit and can't clock much higher than the current ref-design regardless of cooling then I'll happily go for a ref card now.

x43x.jpg

The real question will the non-ref designs be significantly better performing/allow for silly clocks?

If the chip is simply at it's limit and can't clock much higher than the current ref-design regardless of cooling then I'll happily go for a ref card now.

The clock can go higher, how much on air? I guess we will all have to wait and see.

I'm in the UK. Does that alter your view?

I'm clueless about UK hardware costs, or GBP <-> AUD conversions, it just never seems to be relevant to us Aussies :)

You could clue us in on how much dual 780ti cards would be setting you back, in Pounds Sterling ... perhaps with a www.xe.com handy dandy conversion chart attached ;)

There were no deals during Black Friday on either the 7970 or 280X ... it's not about getting a great deal but actually being able to get one before they sell out

Hmm, long response, I wonder if there is a spoiler option?

I dunno about you, but my grind/quest for MOAR FPS, was pretty well finished back in 2009 or so, with a lowly AMD Radeeon 6850. Two years of putting up with endlessly updating Catalyst drivers that -always- reset the Overscan on my Sony Bravia, and the drivers casually clobbered my City of Heroes games multiple times per week, I eventually threw in the towel in 2011 and switched to a slightly more capable card, GTX 570.

People who do not have '2011 or newer' reasonably expensive/capable video cards, may well be in a real bind, trying to build their system with a -reasonably priced- video card, and lust for an immediate R9, "I want it NOW", yada yada yada. And if that is what will make them happy or make their computer functional, then more power to them, and they should absolutely satisfy their desires ASAP, damn the prices, and just suck it down and get on with enjoying current-top-of-the-line graphics. I'm never ever going to attempt to stand in the way of enthusiasts who are seeking to spend their money (or parent's money :) ) on hardware. Retail Therapy really works. For a while.

What I would hope to inject into the mix, is a warning flag of 'hey, if you're satisfied with what you have, and can -afford- to wait, then it's probably a good decision in the long run.

Technology is marching on. The R9's will be superceded in 6-9 months time, and Nvidia will be bringing out "GTX880" or whateverthef*ck the moment they can.

What's great about the current state of play, is that AMD has brought competition back to the Graphics Card market. Nvidia's gouging of the market with it's $1,000 and $999 video cards has immediately stopped, there is a choice now, and people are obviously enthused about the R9's capabilities, whilst simultaneously being disappointed that AMD cards just -aren't- available at AMD Recommended Retail Price.

Bitcoin values going through the roof, and the patent excellence of AMD cards in doing the bit-twiddling, is a double-whammy on the 'new kid on the block' and 'hey, it's christmas, what should I get #1 son for his computer, ooh, how about the latest AMD card, because $399 is a fraction of the previously -stupid- price that Nvidia's Titan was fetching.'

(etc).

I'm not really arguing with you here, just putting some more background on why I think waiting until after Christmas OR when supplies of the card are secured, is a far better option for those who aren't in immediate need of a new bit of kit. In the long run, you'll ALWAYS save money by buying stuff -after- Christmas. Outliers be damned, you can negate any argument with one-off 'what about ...', but you cannot possibly argue the general trend "buy after Christmas, it's going to be significantly cheaper!". That trend has been going for at least 40 years, I don't see it stopping anytime in the next 10 years :)

Have a great holiday season. (I subscribe to Hardforum because rational discussion is way more possible here than in the less salubrious options ... keep on keeping on.)

Good post.

I've been without a gaming PC for 8-years so on one hand waiting until after Chrimbo won't kill me...On the other hand...maybe it will???

Ok here goes:

780Ti -

GBP £550

Ouch. $AU2,000 for two graphics cards. I know people who spent multiples of $AU1,300+ on Nvidia Titans -- they wanted the fastest possible at the time, and were able to justify it to themselves. To people who buy supercars, I guess a couple of thousand is peanuts, but there is simply no way I can justify to myself, dropping 2K on two video cards, just so that I can get a few more FPS out of my already pretty good system (SLI GTX570's in my case).

Thanks for the numbers. I still reckon you will be much better off waiting until January before you make your decision.

It's your money. Or your credit card company? :p (See previous post).

Hmm, long response, I wonder if there is a spoiler option?

I dunno about you, but my grind/quest for MOAR FPS, was pretty well finished back in 2009 or so, with a lowly AMD Radeeon 6850. Two years of putting up with endlessly updating Catalyst drivers that -always- reset the Overscan on my Sony Bravia, and the drivers casually clobbered my City of Heroes games multiple times per week, I eventually threw in the towel in 2011 and switched to a slightly more capable card, GTX 570.

People who do not have '2011 or newer' reasonably expensive/capable video cards, may well be in a real bind, trying to build their system with a -reasonably priced- video card, and lust for an immediate R9, "I want it NOW", yada yada yada. And if that is what will make them happy or make their computer functional, then more power to them, and they should absolutely satisfy their desires ASAP, damn the prices, and just suck it down and get on with enjoying current-top-of-the-line graphics. I'm never ever going to attempt to stand in the way of enthusiasts who are seeking to spend their money (or parent's money :) ) on hardware. Retail Therapy really works. For a while.

What I would hope to inject into the mix, is a warning flag of 'hey, if you're satisfied with what you have, and can -afford- to wait, then it's probably a good decision in the long run.

Technology is marching on. The R9's will be superceded in 6-9 months time, and Nvidia will be bringing out "GTX880" or whateverthef*ck the moment they can.

What's great about the current state of play, is that AMD has brought competition back to the Graphics Card market. Nvidia's gouging of the market with it's $1,000 and $999 video cards has immediately stopped, there is a choice now, and people are obviously enthused about the R9's capabilities, whilst simultaneously being disappointed that AMD cards just -aren't- available at AMD Recommended Retail Price.

Bitcoin values going through the roof, and the patent excellence of AMD cards in doing the bit-twiddling, is a double-whammy on the 'new kid on the block' and 'hey, it's christmas, what should I get #1 son for his computer, ooh, how about the latest AMD card, because $399 is a fraction of the previously -stupid- price that Nvidia's Titan was fetching.'

(etc).

I'm not really arguing with you here, just putting some more background on why I think waiting until after Christmas OR when supplies of the card are secured, is a far better option for those who aren't in immediate need of a new bit of kit. In the long run, you'll ALWAYS save money by buying stuff -after- Christmas. Outliers be damned, you can negate any argument with one-off 'what about ...', but you cannot possibly argue the general trend "buy after Christmas, it's going to be significantly cheaper!". That trend has been going for at least 40 years, I don't see it stopping anytime in the next 10 years :)

Have a great holiday season. (I subscribe to Hardforum because rational discussion is way more possible here than in the less salubrious options ... keep on keeping on.)

I dont dissagree with you at all, it's all about the need and the timing, you can always "wait" in general, to save $ regardless of the season, but to me personally being specific to this case, saving $20-$30 (if anything at all) by waiting for another 2 months is not really worth it.

I've been without a gaming PC for 8 YEARS! You guys have serviceable machines (at least WSLN does)...

I'm wasting away...

You are not alone :)

Would be nice if it started out sooner rather then later :)

I hear you guys, I'm on the same boat. Last GPU upgrade for me was GTX 460 SLI when I got them for $120 each holiday season 2010, talk about bang for buck. This time around I'm not waiting. I'm pulling the trigger on an ASUS DCII as soon as they become available.

The performance gap for the R9 290X(vs reference) can be quite good with a custom cooler. Will it drive the price up as well. Some of the reference cards still very expensive. My card is the ATI 6970 :) and main interest is Mantle ;).

Last chance to reign me in...Wait for AIB or not???

Finger is on the button. Tick tock, tick tock...

Bro, you have come this far already.

Waiting a few more days to reap the benefits of an AIB card seems worth it to me.

Join me in the UNKNOWN!

A few more days...? Last I heard its closer to waiting another month than a few days.

LOL!

The thing is, people are saying wait for AIB but if going CFX surely I will want a blower style card anyway?

Will any of the AIB cards be blower?

A few more days...? Last I heard its closer to waiting another month than a few days.

What is a month but a collection of days!

You're right though. :D

Kyle said 2nd week of Dec back in Nov.

Latest estimates are *some* AIBs for 290s only dropping in late Dec (3ish weeks)

At the same time Asus is teasing their 290x DC2 and saying the 290 is still in dev...

LOL!

The thing is, people are saying wait for AIB but if going CFX surely I will want a blower style card anyway?

Will any of the AIB cards be blower?

I've never seen a true AIB partner board have a blower style fan.....except some of the EVGA cards, which are just slightly overclocked without any other changes, or the Classified models which sometimes have beefier blowers......but EVGA is NVidia obviously.

Most of the AMD AIBs always make an "open" design......and with these 290s, man they run hot,hot,hot. Mine sit straight lined at 95C when I'm gaming, fans running an obnoxious 75%.....sounds like a Airbus coming in for a landing.......I can't wait for the Heatkiller waterblocks to be released for these cards.

For what it's worth a modicum of self-restraint and this thread have saved me from spending in the region of £2300 today.

I was awfully looking forward to having something to play with over the weekend though!

EDIT:

mid-Jan!!!! FML.

Heh, this launch makes me glad I watercool everything. Got my 290s flashed to X the week they came out :p

Back