R9 290 Black screen as soon as the driver loads

spadefoot

Limp Gawd
Works fine with MS generic display driver, but as soon I the Radeon driver tries to load during the install, the screen goes black and the GPU fan goes to 100%. Any ideas?

I'm running a Corsair RM850 PSU, which should be good enough for a single 290, based on what I have read. Prior to installing the GPU, system ran stable for several days using the intel on-board video. I've tried the WHQL drivers and the current beta drivers from AMD's site, and I've tried clean installs using Display Driver Cleaner, same result. I've tried JUST loading the video driver, without CCC/other parts, same result.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like moving to another slot may have solved the problem, but I don't know why.

Have you set an unstable overclock via afterburner or CCC? It sounds like it is loading that profile on boot to me.

Well, putting it in the other slot let me load the drivers, but it still doesn't work properly:

I have tried the 14.4 WHQL, the 14.7 Beta and, most recently, the 13.12. Of the bunch, the 13.12 let me get the farthest, but I still artifacts, some kind of whining noise, and eventual black-screen lockups running 3dBench (1st time through 1 test, not looping for hours). This is a new system build, so no previous overclocking profiles or anything like that, I would think. I did go in to CCC on the 13.12 drivers and try setting the max fan speed higher, but it didn't seem to have any impact.

I'm open to suggestions, please.

Thanks

A little more info: As I mentioned before, I"m not doing any overclocking or anything, just stock speeds, etc. I loaded Afterburner so I could get a view of what the temps were doing. Playing the first demo in 3dmark, I start getting artifacts about 30-45 seconds in, and it black screens after a couple of minutes. Temp in Afterburner never went above 65c.

it sort of sounds like a thermal reset, what are the temps on the VRMS like?

How can I check those?

It does "feel" like it's a heat-related problem. but after having afterburner run the fans wide open, not sure what else I could do to make it cooler.

If you install the latest gpu-z you can see the vrm and core temps under the sensors tab for your card. What kind of 290 are you running? Is it one of the reference ones or one of the after market ones? If it is one of the reference ones then redoing the thermal paste on the stock cooler will make a ton of difference, maybe with some Arctic MX4, as the stock factory junk is just that.

At idle, VRM1=35c, VRM2=40c, but now I"m getting little flashing lines on the screen just moving the mouse around in Windows, so I"m starting to think I have a bad card.

Was exactly what I was going to say with the problems you are describing then the artifacts and now at idle. I would RMA or if within the return policy, just return it to whom ever you purchased it from.

yup, that kind of stuff at idle usually means bad memory, return it.

Yep. Bought it here on the forums, hopefully will work out OK.

Thanks for the advice, folks!

Yep. Bought it here on the forums, hopefully will work out OK.

Thanks for the advice, folks!

I'd contact the seller ASAP..I highly doubt this was something that just "happened" to the card during shipping..It definitely sounds like a bad GDDR5 module or two..Sorry to hear it, hope you get it resolved.

I'd contact the seller ASAP..I highly doubt this was something that just "happened" to the card during shipping..It definitely sounds like a bad GDDR5 module or two..Sorry to hear it, hope you get it resolved.

Have done so, hopefully we can work it out.

Back