R7 5800X3D, R7 5700X, R5 5600, R5 5500, R5 4600g, R5 4500, R3 4300 incoming

Which new AMD are you most likely to purchase?

• 5800X3D

• 5700X

• 4600g

Results are only viewable after voting.
3 new cpus just showed up on the Microcenter website: 5500, 5600, and 5700X.
Ryzen 5 5500 - $159.99
Ryzen 5 5600 - $199.99
Ryzen 7 5700X - $299.99

Like I thought and said before, some of this makes little sense to me. Microcenter also has the 5600X for $209.99. So you only save $10 with the 5600. The 5800X is $319.99 so you only save $20 with the 5700X. No heatsink with the 5700X either.

Sometimes Microcenter drops prices after a few weeks, so we'll see what happens.

3 new cpus just showed up on the Microcenter website: 5500, 5600, and 5700X.
Ryzen 5 5500 - $159.99
Ryzen 5 5600 - $199.99
Ryzen 7 5700X - $299.99

Like I thought and said before, some of this makes little sense to me. Microcenter also has the 5600X for $209.99. So you only save $10 with the 5600. The 5800X is $319.99 so you only save $20 with the 5700X. No heatsink with the 5700X either.

Sometimes Microcenter drops prices after a few weeks, so we'll see what happens.
All other SKUs are being dropped once these hit shelves. That’s why the pricing is the way it is.

No source, just common sense. 5700X exists because the 5800X3D is replacing the 5800X. The rest of the lower stack follows to support that.

This is why if you want any of these chips you need to get them now. Not that there is a huge difference between a 200mhz total boost clock though.

My assumption is to meet production capacity for the 3D this is affecting the rest of the single chiplet stack.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
No source, just common sense. 5700X exists because the 5800X3D is replacing the 5800X. The rest of the lower stack follows to support that.

This is why if you want any of these chips you need to get them now. Not that there is a huge difference between a 200mhz total boost clock though.

My assumption is to meet production capacity for the 3D this is affecting the rest of the single chiplet stack.

Doesn't seem like common sense to me. Just seems like they are filling out their product stack to different price points. The old parts boost slightly higher and are ~$30 more expensive.

Tom's Hardware has their review up:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-5-5600-and-ryzen-5-5500-review

Performance is as expected for the 5500 and 5600. Cezanne manages a 2000 mhz fclk which is pretty neat.

Price/performance is competitive with ADL. The 5600 is a tougher sell against the 12400 unless you simply want an upgrade to your B450 with a 3600 or lesser.

The 5500 looks to be the new budget king, especially when paired with AMD's cheaper motherboard options. Performance mostly lacks in gaming, and let's be honest, you will doubtfully see a difference running short a 3090 at 1080p. (or the 6500 XT that needs pcie 4.0). For video editing, it is not that far off from Vermeer. For pure gaming, the 12100 is a better buy, but I wouldn't recommend 4 cores to even a budget build in 2022.

Last edited:
4500 review here as well:
https://lanoc.org/review/cpus/8472-amd-ryzen-5-4500

This seems to be the 1600af replacement at $129.

On CPU tasks it matches 6 core Skylake and 8 Core Zen+ parts. Gaming it is much worse than Skylake but still better than Zen+ or even Zen 2.

Those running midrange GPUs at 1080p or high end GPUs at 1440p or higher should still be just fine.

It's nice to see the budget CPUs are back to bring in new enthusiasts.

"Taking nearly 18 months to bring the company's newest architecture down to its more cash-strapped customers isn't a great look."

Basically, a slap in the face?

"Taking nearly 18 months to bring the company's newest architecture down to its more cash-strapped customers isn't a great look."

Basically, a slap in the face?

Well, if you have a chip shortage because you launched new GPUs, CPUs, and consoles using your APUs at the same time, you might as well use what silicon you have on the highest margin CPUs.

Rough review for the 5500 from Steve. I agree this CPU should have came out months ago, but 75% of his review on a budget CPU was how well it performed at 1080p with a $1000 GPU. It had a nice lead in non gaming applications and AMD still has an advantage in motherboard prices which makes up for the the CPU price difference of the 12100.

It doesn't sound like he was too excited with the upcoming 4500 review.

None...

I have a 5800x and its gobs of power

Looking forward to 6900xt replacement. Not refresh, think 7900xt

Early testing leaks of the 5800x3D are online. 244fps average, at 720p. Not sure what the 290fps number under D3D12 is supposed to be, max fps?

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1512151405615849477

Screenshot 2022-04-07 at 17-37-28 CapFrameX on Twitter.png

Well I did want to get a 5900X3D but those never got announced so I seriously considered the 5800X3D for awhile until I heard about the voltage-related OC limitation, so I got a regular 5900X instead and I'm happy with it. Felt kind of silly to go from a 5800X to 5900X but eh, I can use the extra cores.

So I guess that out of the new chips, I'm most likely to purchase a 4500 or 4600G, if I or someone I know has a need for a cheap, low-power box.

Once they bench a variety of games utilizing the standard gamut of game engines AT 1080P, then we'll know what's up....

Tomb Raider? At 720p? .... Come on now

Show me: CoD: Warzone, Cyberpunk, Elden Ring, Far Cry 6, GTA V, Witcher 3 etc. (and whatever Unreal engine game is considered the standard)

Don't hold back Steve! Perhaps this chip will end up being the new cheap r5 1600AF once they drop the price $30+.

I love long haired Steven but again, I don't get him here. He goes through like 8 game tests running a 3800 at 1080p and then moves to a production test saying "finally a test where the 4500 beats the 12100!"

Like what the hell?!

His non gaming tests consisted of Blender and Adobe. That's about it.

This a a decent 6/12 budget CPU that will provide the same real world performance of any other CPU for most casual users while costing about $200 for the CPU and motherboard.

Eh, its a bit better than a 2700x but costs $30 more than a used 2700x.

You will always find a better value getting used parts.

Steve even admitted that finding a affordable B660 with DDR4 was tough when he tried to help someone at Microcenter.

This paired with a midrange B450 or B550 is still a good option for someone building a budget PC and still have good upgradability to a 5700X, 5900X or 5800X3D.

Yeah, I get GN's point somewhat, but generationally, we've seen this stuff before. I mean, a generation doesn't have to completely trump an older generation (or two or three) on every level. That would be a huge leap.

So what if the 4500 is sort of refresh of something from the past? It's "new" and available.

But he's definitely right to compare AMD's offerings with Intel's. Though, he does only think primarily from a gamer's point of view, but he does admit that.

One of the things that interesting to me that maybe doesn't get talked about a lot is the huge power consumption differences, especially under moderate to heavy loads. Those Intel chips require twice as much power, even when NOT beating their AMD rival of the same class.

For some, that could be very very interesting.

The 4500 is basically an 3600AF with a $30 price bump (over the 1600AF) if you factor in inflation. That CPU received high praise so not sure why the bashing here.

Even when compared to the Intel offerings, you still need to compare the entire real world system price and not just best CPU performance / $.

There are even some B-350 boards that would work with this now and the higher end parts in the future if you are really strapped for cash.

And yeah, this CPU is incredibly efficient.

Last edited:
A lot of what reviewers say is true, but sometimes they forget that not everybody has deep pockets or can access the latest gen motherboards in their markets or have really high energy rates. It always amazes me to see what people in other countries around the world game on just fine. The lower end AMD CPUs seem to not bottleneck lower end cards you’d anticipate they be paired with, while requiring very little power to run. There’s a market for these things, and with the whole am4 ecosystem being very mature at this point, there are literally millions of boards available in less affluent market that can take these with a simple bios update.

A lot of what reviewers say is true, but sometimes they forget that not everybody has deep pockets or can access the latest gen motherboards in their markets or have really high energy rates. It always amazes me to see what people in other countries around the world game on just fine. The lower end AMD CPUs seem to not bottleneck lower end cards you’d anticipate they be paired with, while requiring very little power to run. There’s a market for these things, and with the whole am4 ecosystem being very mature at this point, there are literally millions of boards available in less affluent market that can take these with a simple bios update.
But, as I've been reminded (reprimanded?) many times here, this is HardOCP,....

But, as I've been reminded (reprimanded?) many times here, this is HardOCP,....

Personally, I think that's ridiculous. There is something to be said for getting the best bang for the buck. Back in the day, it was more of a badge of honor to cheat the system and overclock to get high-end CPU performance for less money then just pay up for the highest end CPUs.

Even today when that kind of overclocking isn't practical, not every AMD user on this forum has a 5950x and a 3090Ti/6900XTX. I think it has more to do with pushing the hardware you have to the limit rather than just buying what is fastest.

My $.02...

I think some people are missing something on this 4500. It is based on an older APU die, not the regular 3000 series dies like Ryzen 3600. Steve did point out that it doesn't even have the chiplets. He was trying to explain.
L3 cache on the 3600 is 32MB and the 4500 has just 8MB. There are reasons Steve is bashing it. L3 cache is very important and why the 5800X3D is being introduced. This 4500 goes in the opposite direction with predictable results. It was near the bottom of most charts. I doubt overclocking will improve scores very much with the lack of L3.

Back