R7 2700/2700x on B350?

BurntToast

2[H]4U
As of yet there are no X470 mATX boards so I'm looking to pick up the ASUS TUF B350M-PLUS Gaming. Is there any reason not to do this? I was originally looking at getting the 2700 but now I might consider the 2700X as I'm not sure what numbers I'd be able to put out on a B350 and non X CPU. Think 3400Mhz memory would work or would I be lucky to hit 3200Mhz with 3400Mhz memory?

I managed to get 3333 mhz ram working on my tuf b350 and that was limited by the cpu memory controller (2400g, flarex).

The vrms may may not take a 2700 yo 4.2 ghz all core, so it would be best to just get the 2700x and forgo the cpu o/c.

Sadly there is a serious lack of good mATX AM4 boards. You've already picked out what is probably the best one, the TUF B350M. The 4+2 phase VRM will just about handle a stock 2700/2700x, but I wouldn't try to run an all core OC like Nightfire mentioned. Maybe even apply a vcore/vsoc undervolt to reduce peak voltages and power consumption, and have a fan blowing some air over the VRM sinks as well. Getting 3200-3400mhz on the memory shouldn't be an issue, although you'll have more trouble getting complete stability at higher frequencies than on higher end boards like the CH7. Mainly you're going to be limited by RAM binning/the quality of the IMC on the chip itself.

Fwiw, I have a 2600X/Strix B350-F/16GB TridentZ 3200C14 combo and I can hit 3466mhz memory @ C14 with tight subtimings no problem. I can even boot at 3600C15, although I haven't dialed in a stable setting there yet. The TUF B350M is pretty similar to my B350-F, so I don't think it will hold you back very much for memory overclocking. Definitely watch those VRM temps though and keep them cool.

I actually moved my h80i radiator and fans to blow out from the pcie outlets so I can put a fan facing the vrms.

The downside is that cpu temps go up slightly, my pcie slots are blocked, and I have no fan header left for my huge front fan.

It is a funny looking setup but it works nicely.

I actually moved my h80i radiator and fans to blow out from the pcie outlets so I can put a fan facing the vrms.

The downside is that cpu temps go up slightly, my pcie slots are blocked, and I have no fan header left for my huge front fan.

It is a funny looking setup but it works nicely.

I currently have the single fan on the ceiling of my case set up as an intake to get airflow over the VRMs, but what I'm planning to do is ordering this Noctua slim 92mm fan and mounting it with zipties to blow over the VRM sinks. Even a modest amount of airflow directly over the VRMs brings down temps considerably.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back