R520 ready for production!!!

keysplayr said:
ATI just should have stuck with 110nm and been done with it. And saved 90nm for the next round.

Considering they're attempting Unified Shaders on the R600 core, which is already going to make the core far more complex then anything out currently, it would of been extremely stupid. They'd problably be in a far worse condition. This fab process is going to last them 2 years or more on the high end. They made the comittment to get it done.

Uh, I just said save 90nm for next gen (R600). I was referring to 110nm for the R520/515/whatever. Stupid is as stupid does holds true here.

keysplayr said:
Uh, I just said save 90nm for next gen (R600). I was referring to 110nm for the R520/515/whatever. Stupid is as stupid does holds true here.

yes....but one way or another they have to fab processors out to iron out problems.

keysplayr said:
ATI just should have stuck with 110nm and been done with it. And saved 90nm for the next round.

In order to keep up with NVIDIA I think ATI had to move to 90nm. ATI cards do not match NVIDIA cards in clock for clock performance. By moving to a 90nm die size they can run at higher speeds with less heat and power.

My guess is that a R520 running on a 110nm process would not clock high enough to compete in the high end.

I would not be suprised to see the G70 core moved to the 90nm process soon.

In order to keep up with NVIDIA I think ATI had to move to 90nm. ATI cards do not match NVIDIA cards in clock for clock performance. By moving to a 90nm die size they can run at higher speeds with less heat and power.

Yeah for the prvious core ATi did less work for clock (none the less staying faster) but this is a new core the R520 may be more Nvidia like and do less work per clock. I know we have heard rumours about a 700mhz part with 16 pipes or a 500mhz part with 32 pipes all this speculation and hooplah just because it isnt out yet. Moving to smaller fab proc is hard and 90nm is even harder (look at FX series) ATi may allready have the R520 specs finalized but is just having fab or some other weird ass problems. I think they are making a 32 pipe or 24 pipe card, the whole 16 pipe theory to me sounds too unlikely.

keysplayr said:
Better to move to thr 90nm process with the simpler design to work the bugs out than have to go through a completely different kind of architecture AND fab process at the same time... Not sure how staggering the two things is stupid....

Has anyone else put this into speculation that 110nm was to HOT for the r520 core? :D
So they had to move to a 90nm.

All speculation. Or it could even be reverse. Like what intel did with the presshot.

they moved to the 90nm and the core became a heater. Like i said, all speculation. But it could happen..shit even 110nm and 90nm is way to hot for the r520. Who knows. We all won't know till it comes out.

If heat was the issue I bet they would just stick it with some massive cooler. I doubt they would have all this hooplah. Unless the card literaly burned up so bad that it was just plain useless. Well then agian maybe it is a theory.

if i was ATI, id just create another step up using the same technology as the 9700 pro/9800/x800 . Nvidia did the same thing, the 7800GTX is just a rewrite of their 6800 technology.

^^^

Ya but that 3 year old tech...no SM3.0 no HDR nothing new. Bad deal for ati.

People are wanting from ati what they can get from nVidia. Putting 3 year old tech out again would almost put ati in the hole.

{NG}Fidel said:
If heat was the issue I bet they would just stick it with some massive cooler. I doubt they would have all this hooplah. Unless the card literaly burned up so bad that it was just plain useless. Well then agian maybe it is a theory.

A 3 slot cooler ;)

Big Fat Duck said:
if i was ATI, id just create another step up using the same technology as the 9700 pro/9800/x800 . Nvidia did the same thing, the 7800GTX is just a rewrite of their 6800 technology.

only works for so long. It was time for a new generation. They might have got one more release out of the old tech, but better to use the R520 to iron out the 90nm bugs for future chips. Meaning their next card baring any comlications should prove to be alot easier on ATI.

{NG}Fidel said:

The heatsink for the R520 will be essentially the same thats used on the X850 line except the block is going to be copper stock rather then aluminum.

[RIP]Zeus said:
People are wanting from ati what they can get from nVidia. Putting 3 year old tech out again would almost put ati in the hole.
You mean like the one they are in right now with the R520 and Crossfire? ATI is getting p0wned right now by Nvidia and don't look to be in shape to respond.

pwned in the high end yes, but does that matter that much? In the long run, I think ATI will thank themselves for doing this now. nvidia sucked in teh 3X line, so they were able to improve and make the 4X line, which has been doing fairly well. Now they are riding on it, and it's ATI's turn to pioneer and have some difficulties.

Despite this, neither company was/is really in danger of collapsing. Why? Because the high end is only a small portion of their sales. ATI is in a small hole R&D-wise, but it is escapable. If they left it until next gen, they might have had to sacrifice one of the things they want to do to get out.

And I'd like to echo what a lot of other people have said. "It was time."

Russ said:
pwned in the high end yes, but does that matter that much? In the long run, I think ATI will thank themselves for doing this now. nvidia sucked in teh 3X line, so they were able to improve and make the 4X line, which has been doing fairly well. Now they are riding on it, and it's ATI's turn to pioneer and have some difficulties.

Despite this, neither company was/is really in danger of collapsing. Why? Because the high end is only a small portion of their sales. ATI is in a small hole R&D-wise, but it is escapable. If they left it until next gen, they might have had to sacrifice one of the things they want to do to get out.

And I'd like to echo what a lot of other people have said. "It was time."

Well ATi missed the halo effect form the high end this coming quarter. So this coming quarter is also going to be very bad for them if not worse then last quarter, they missed back to school sales and If the r520 doesn't come out soon in the next month the r520's entire line will not sell well since they will miss christmas sales too. This will also undoubtable hurt crossfire sales. Q4 ATi will see xbox 360 profits kick in and possible nintendo's soon after that. Which overall isn't great for them but the consoles will get them out of the hole until the r600's come out.

ATi has very little chances uping nV in the midrange this round.

If the r520 has 32 pipes (like the rumors hinted at)then it will definetly kick the crap out of 7800 gtx

^^^ If pigs had wings ....they might fly, too. I like others am anxiously waiting to see what they've got because seriously I think its gonna be good. I hope it rivals or bests SLI and the 7800 series so the game makers will continue to make stunning games that utilize these new boards to their fullest. I just wish people would stop guessing....but I guess thats half the fun. BTW has there been any news out of QuakeCon about this???? :D

Anyone listened to the HardOCP QuakeCon Workshop? It seems that a Ati representitive mentioned that R520 arrives next month.

god damn i wish ati just paper launched their crap right now and send out preview cards so i could at least decide if im going to get it or not and get a 7800GT now

Big Fat Duck said:

3 year technology for ati. no sms 3.0 and I was under the impression this round of desktop wars was to signal things to come on the xbox 360 and ps3 since the rsx is basically an overclocked 7800 gtx etc.

They've had working r520 chips and PCB for a while now. IIRC, ATi had problem with yeilds, so they kept re-taping the chip.

I for one do not think ATI will be introducing better cards than Nvidia this round. Performance should be on par though. If they were about to offer a product of superior quality, they would of had at least a paper launch by now to deter buyers from going the Nvidia route. I am waiting until the new XT v.s Ultra reviews are out.

If I don't see engineering sample reviews within the next two weeks, I'll be going nvidia, I suppose.

razor1 said:
sept, oct seems to be the release date now
Huh, that was a great 'scoop' by Dave..... I posted that link/info here at B3D 2 days before his story appeared and waaaay back on the 7th here on the [H]ardforum.

The step to .90 nm process has been really hard for every company so far except AMD. Nvidia hasn't done it yet.

Obi_Kwiet said:
The step to .90 nm process has been really hard for every company so far except AMD. Nvidia hasn't done it yet.
Intel too, err we will be seein intel releasin 65nm processor in very few months.

Actually both Intel and AMD had problems going to .09, Intel had similiar problems like what ATi is having with leakage and heat dissipation, and AMD had different types of issues.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1758/

The process itself isn't flawed but the design of the chip built for these small processes have to modified to take into account for possible higher resistance from smaller gates.

Obi_Kwiet said:

NVIDIA may have enough of a lead now, that they can simply move there 7xxx series to the new process instead of having to prove out a whole new core at the same time.

5150Joker said:
ColStripe said:
Ya but considering this is ATI, that's 1-2 months in dog years.
1-2 months in dog years would be a few days for us.
<snicker> :D

I went on ZZF site and found 230 bux Sapphire X800XT PE (AGP), but out of stock. Does this indicate the sign of upcoming R520? :p

BigDaddy85 said:
<snicker> :D

I went on ZZF site and found 230 bux Sapphire X800XT PE (AGP), but out of stock. Does this indicate the sign of upcoming R520? :p

It rained today and I got a little stiffness in my left ankle...does that mean R520 is coming soon?

^eMpTy^ said:
It rained today and I got a little stiffness in my left ankle...does that mean R520 is coming soon?
hope so, uhh relax u r not gonna die tmw. :p

also, i checked out for more video card at zzf. I saw like almost 3 or 4 video cards from ati is pretty cheap for high end card. Sapphire X850XT PCIE cost us like 230 bux. I was like wtf is it zzf fault or teh king of vc is on the way?

Back