R520 ready for production!!!

Wolfkin

[H]ard|Gawd
X-bit labs posted an article about ATI's new generation cards passed validation process at PCI-SIG, the industry body that leads the development of PCI and PCI Express busses, which means that the chips already exist in the final revision and are production ready.

So, with a bit of luck we might see the cards late August or early September. :D

Read the story here. http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20050807051447.html

I hear it comes bundled with a not yet released title that has had the release date pushed back just like the card.

dad11345 said:
I hear it comes bundled with a not yet released title that has had the release date pushed back just like the card.

Let's hope the bundled title isn't Duke Nukem: Forever :p

Wolfkin said:
X-bit labs posted an article about ATI's new generation cards passed validation process at PCI-SIG, the industry body that leads the development of PCI and PCI Express busses, which means that the chips already exist in the final revision and are production ready.

So, with a bit of luck we might see the cards late August or early September. :D

Read the story here. http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20050807051447.html
More like Mid November, mid early december.

IceWind said:
Fuck that, i'll buy a 7800GTX then soon, im sick of Ati's vaporware launches.
I don't think ATI has Paper, Vapor, Or any kind of launch for the 520, It's all just people on forums BSing themself, not ATI.

1. The X850 series was like the only real paper launch, but during that year both nvidia and ati paper launched the 6800 and X800 series, call it the year of the paper launches or something ^.^
2. The R520 was never given a release date (and to my knowledge still hasn't)
3. The R520 did a pretty good job at E3 and Computex for 'vapourware' e.g. 'doesn't exist'

Just for fun, I hope it blows the 7800 outta the water, just to prove all you guys wrong....

LOL

QJ

tornadotsunamilife said:
1. The X850 series was like the only real paper launch, but during that year both nvidia and ati paper launched the 6800 and X800 series, call it the year of the paper launches or something ^.^
3. The R520 did a pretty good job at E3 and Computex for 'vapourware' e.g. 'doesn't exist'

If you are talking about last year, the 6800 was semi-paperlaunched...IIRC the 1st cards were available in limited quantity about a month after the announcement (I got one!) and then demand drove supplies down. ATI, well they are the king of paperlaunches/vapor ware.

People have wanking off to the 520 for the better part of this year and its still 2 months away, minimum.

tornadotsunamilife said:

Crossfire, X800GT, etc, etc

QwertyJuan said:
Just for fun, I hope it blows the 7800 outta the water, just to prove all you guys wrong....

LOL

QJ
OMG let's all laugh and have fun !

QwertyJuan said:

LOL

QJ

doesn't it actually have to come out first in order to do that?

Hey, I don't care, because I won't buy it, haven't bought a new card in 2 years(last one as ATI8500, but have owned 3 Geforces as well, so no brand loyalty at ALL here).... but I still would find it funny.

QJ

Dang it ATi start producing then!!! ARGHHH

nVidia is robbing us blind with their $300 6800GTs and $500 7800GTX cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ultra Wide said:
Dang it ATi start producing then!!! ARGHHH

nVidia is robbing us blind with their $300 6800GTs and $500 7800GTX cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if you think R520 cards are going to be any cheaper, then you going to be in for a big suprise.

QwertyJuan said:

LOL

QJ

it wont blow 7800 out of water. it might be 10% ahead in performence but that will be fixed by 7800ultra

swatX said:
it wont blow 7800 out of water. it might be 10% ahead in performence but that will be fixed by 7800ultra

It has to be able to blow the GTX out of the water or its a wasted release... No one is going to want to see another 6800 vs X800 war.

Cards are at a new level thanks to the 7800GTX, if the R520 can't give 30% over the 7800, its a failed product IMO.

What possess people to think that there will be a 7800U? There has been no hints or even rumours abut it, it is only there because now that ati are nearing the release of the R520 core nvidia fans are panicking and hoping that nvidia have something up their sleeve.

I sincerely hope ATI has a better card coming out then the 7800 GTX. The problem is
they did not have it ready when the 7800 GTX was released.

The Nvidia cards were available at suggested retail at launch and now are out there for less then retail.

dad11345 said:
I sincerely hope ATI has a better card coming out then the 7800 GTX. The problem is
they did not have it ready when the 7800 GTX was released.

The Nvidia cards were available at suggested retail at launch and now are out there for less then retail.

Well to be fair, ati were changing to a whole new process (90nm) and they can now maintain this for a few cores. Nvidia however still need to move to this process meaning we may see nvidia in a similar position that ati is in now, next generation. This is just speculation though.

tornadotsunamilife said:
What possess people to think that there will be a 7800U? There has been no hints or even rumours abut it, it is only there because now that ati are nearing the release of the R520 core nvidia fans are panicking and hoping that nvidia have something up their sleeve.
All there is right now is "hints and rumors" about the R520, so why not speculate about the 7800U. Both cards enjoy the same degree of availability right now.

mike0219116 said:
All there is right now is "hints and rumors" about the R520, so why not speculate about the 7800U. Both cards enjoy the same degree of availability right now.

Because the R520 actually EXISTS.

Wonder how many more of these it will take for people to use the search function.

57773buttersbear.gif

Oh I forgot that for something to exist you must be able to purchase it straight away. It was at E3 and Computex for starters, but you're suggesting that ATi are readying the production of an 'unexisting core'? I think you're trying to be difficult for the sake of it.

There is no proof of the 7800U, unless I've missed something?

tornadotsunamilife said:
Oh I forgot that for something to exist you must be able to purchase it straight away. It was at E3 and Computex for starters, but you're suggesting that ATi are readying the production of an 'unexisting core'? I think you're trying to be difficult for the sake of it.

There is no proof of the 7800U, unless I've missed something?

There is a very good chance it exsits, since the drivers the gtx was labled as

NVIDIA_G70.DEV_0091.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX" which leaves the 0090.1 open which traditional has been the Ultra of the geforce family.

NVIDIA_G70.DEV_0090.1 = "NVIDIA G70"
NVIDIA_G70.DEV_0091.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX"
NVIDIA_G70.DEV_0092.1 = "NVIDIA G70"
NVIDIA_G70.DEV_0093.1 = "NVIDIA G70"
NVIDIA_G70.DEV_0094.1 = "NVIDIA G70"
NVIDIA_G70.DEV_009D.1 = "NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500"
NVIDIA_G70.DEV_009E.1 = "NVIDIA G70GL"

from driver 77.40

tornadotsunamilife said:
But that's merely speculation, it's not a lot of evidence to uphold that there will be a 7800U

No its not a lot of evidence but gut feeling is that nVidia left themselves room to make an ultra once prices start to drop or when the R520 is out. It would just make good business sense too.

7800Ultra is 'just' a higher clocked 7800GTX 24 pipe card on 0,11. Still no match for R520 in case this is a 32 pipe monster. :) Nv's 0,09 with prob 32 pipes doesn't arrive before Jan '06.

"i'll buy a 7800GTX then soon, im sick of Ati's vaporware launches."

Amen, did just that already

Back