R5 2600X overclocked to 4.32GHz on Strix B350-F

m3ta1head

OqCMAbl.png

I just upgraded my rig - went from a 2600k @ 4.6ghz to a 2600X paired with the Asus Strix B350-F and 16GB of G.Skill TridentZ 3200 cl15 bdie. With minimal tweaks I was able to push up to 4.32ghz stable (1.4vcore 1.15vsoc) before hitting a voltage/freq wall. I was easily able to tighten timings and run the TridentZ at 3200 cl14 @ 1.36v. I am using a Noctua D14 and temps stay below 70C with this overclock.

Despite those impressive results, I have actually settled on a 24/7 setting that is @ stock with precision boost overdrive enabled & current limits raised to 130%. At these settings the CPU runs at 4.05ghz base clock with boosts to 4.3ghz, while keeping dynamic voltage states and clocking individual cores up and down as needed. I find this to be far more efficient, and the performance penalty is minor (176 st/1417 mt in Cinebench). Temps also stay below 60C at full load. I would definitely recommend pairing Ryzen+ with a robust B350/X370 board, and spending the money saved on good memory instead. The Asus boards are especially awesome as most of them seem to have precision boost overdrive enabled in the latest bios (what is supposed to be an x470 exclusive feature).

Some pics of the build:

igZG2T9.jpg
BgfsGN3.jpg
UkG0UQ9.jpg

Last edited:
Very Impressive. The new R5s are unbeatable in price/performance. Against the i5 (non-k) models, they really put a hurt on Intel with the SMT.
It's good to see the old motherboards are every bit as capable as the x470s. Very cool to see 1500 CB score on the 6 core parts. This means the R7s will hit 2000 points.

Very Impressive. The new R5s are unbeatable in price/performance. Against the i5 (non-k) models, they really put a hurt on Intel with the SMT.
It's good to see the old motherboards are every bit as capable as the x470s. Very cool to see 1500 CB score on the 6 core parts. This means the R7s will hit 2000 points.

My 2700X topped out at 4.3GHz. And that bought me 1965 points. Not QUITE 2000, damnit.

Very nice results.
Any idea what the mosfet temps are? I'm just curious. To be honest I know some boards don't even have sensors so maybe there is no way to know unless you have an IR thermometer.

What's the batch number on that CPU?

I'm amazed that you can hit 4.3 GHz on the B350.

Not bad at all. My 7820x @ 4.7 hits ... 1900'ish

Ever since I owned a 1700x ai always felt AMD was much stronger in the multicore SMT arena, just not on IPC. Please post your results of your absolute best single core score in CB R15 please.

https://postimg.cc/image/pz20lr32l/

Will do later when I get home. But offhand, I think it was ~180 or so. So yours still blows mine away in single core.

Will do later when I get home. But offhand, I think it was ~180 or so. So yours still blows mine away in single core.

Yeah but 180 is closing the gap. I wouldn't say it blows it away. I'd say Advanced Micro is closing the ipc gap. I'm excited to see what 7nm Zen 2 is gonna be like and will probably switch platforms in 2019 when it drops.

This is making replacing my 4790K more attractive by the day. If only DDR4 wasn't so expensive. I always talk myself into the highest end motherboard of a chipset every time. Looks like AMD will be breaking me of that habit. Very clean build you've got there.

My 2700X topped out at 4.3GHz. And that bought me 1965 points. Not QUITE 2000, damnit.
Give Cinebench realtime priority using task manager, it always helps me get a few extra points. It'll help keep other background programs from hogging the cpu during a benchmark. Might help you get closer to that 2000 screenshot haha. (Task manager->right click on your .exe -> Go to details -> right click on your .exe -> set priority -> realtime)

Give Cinebench realtime priority using task manager, it always helps me get a few extra points. It'll help keep other background programs from hogging the cpu during a benchmark. Might help you get closer to that 2000 screenshot haha. (Task manager->right click on your .exe -> Go to details -> right click on your .exe -> set priority -> realtime)

Wow that is alot smarter than running it in safe mode.

It was the only way I could hit 900 points with my 2400g LOL.

Wow that is alot smarter than running it in safe mode.

It was the only way I could hit 900 points with my 2400g LOL.
I admire the dedication hahaha.

Its also a useful place to set core affinity manually. Say a game performs better without hyperthreading or you only want it to run on 1 CCX. You can do that there too though sometimes it takes some doing to make it a permanent change.

This is making replacing my 4790K more attractive by the day. If only DDR4 wasn't so expensive. I always talk myself into the highest end motherboard of a chipset every time. Looks like AMD will be breaking me of that habit. Very clean build you've got there.

yeah it's pretty nice not having to be forced to always buy the top of the line board anymore. can pick and choose what features you want.

Very nice results.
Any idea what the mosfet temps are? I'm just curious. To be honest I know some boards don't even have sensors so maybe there is no way to know unless you have an IR thermometer.

I don't think this board has a VRM temp sensor, unless I'm missing something and haven't seen it yet. I have made sure the VRM sinks have some airflow over them, however, and they stay cool to the touch under full load,
What's the batch number on that CPU?

1809SUS

Managed to squeeze out a little more with tweaked subtimings and llc settings. This is as far as I can take it before hitting a massive voltage wall, 4.35ghz wasn't stable even with 1.46v (at which point I tapped out).

guVBZPW.png

Last edited:
Managed to squeeze out a little more with tweaked subtimings and llc settings. This is as far as I can take it before hitting a massive voltage wall, 4.35ghz wasn't stable even with 1.46v (at which point I tapped out).

View attachment 70227

I had the same problem with my 2700X at 4.35. Just wouldn't go stable. I went as high as 1.475 vcore. No go. I couldn't get even one step higher than 4.3GHz, though. So good on you for the 4.32.

I had the same problem with my 2700X at 4.35. Just wouldn't go stable. I went as high as 1.475 vcore. No go. I couldn't get even one step higher than 4.3GHz, though. So good on you for the 4.32.

Guess we found the infamous clock wall. I'm still incredibly pleased with this chip - that multicore score is at 8700k levels, and I only paid $300 for both the chip and the mobo which is still less than the cost of a 8700k alone! Not to mention the long term benefits of adopting the AM4 platform. I can't wait to see what Zen2 will do.

Guess we found the infamous clock wall. I'm still incredibly pleased with this chip - that multicore score is at 8700k levels, and I only paid $300 for both the chip and the mobo which is still less than the cost of a 8700k alone! Not to mention the long term benefits of adopting the AM4 platform. I can't wait to see what Zen2 will do.

Yup. Zen+ at 4.3 is like Zen at 4.0. Getting over it is only possible with silicon lottery, a lot of voltage, or both. AMD claimed a ~250MHz uplift. Seems about in line with what we're seeing.

Silicon lottery is one thing but it seems to be these chips are highly bined. Same variable performance metric across the board. I know they are accumulating higher bine for TR+ and it leads me to believe that a 2800X is in the shadows.

What UEFI version are you running? I just updated to 4009 (4011 was just released 4/27) I don't see the options for these settings: "precision boost overdrive enabled & current limits raised to 130%"

I found the Current limits on my x370-I under Digi+, but not on the B350-F board. The Precision Boost Overdrive may only be available for Ryzen+ I am using a 1700X on the B350-F, but i didn't see the option in the X370-I board for my 2700X.

I'm also having issues with memory Corsair LPX 2666 4x4G (Pulled from old system), that is on the QVL, but wont run at 2666 with DOCP at 1.2 -1.36.

Damn, that is an 8700k with MCE level of performance. Considering this was done at about 300 mhz less speed, that is VERY impressive.

What UEFI version are you running? I just updated to 4009 (4011 was just released 4/27) I don't see the options for these settings: "precision boost overdrive enabled & current limits raised to 130%"

I found the Current limits on my x370-I under Digi+, but not on the B350-F board. The Precision Boost Overdrive may only be available for Ryzen+ I am using a 1700X on the B350-F, but i didn't see the option in the X370-I board for my 2700X.

I'm also having issues with memory Corsair LPX 2666 4x4G (Pulled from old system), that is on the QVL, but wont run at 2666 with DOCP at 1.2 -1.36.

I am running 4011. The precision boost overdrive settings are located under Advanced->AMD CBS->NBIO Common Options->Precision Boost Overdrive Configuration. The default settings when you enable PBO should be: 105W (PPT), 95A (TDC), 140A (EDC). My settings are set to manual for increased current limits: 1000W (PPT), 125A (TDC), 180A (EDC). I don't believe that menu will show up if you have a 1st gen Ryzen installed, although I may be wrong. Should be the same on the X370-I as well.

Last edited:
For those curious, these are my results at stock clocks with PBO enabled. With PBO doing its thing and all threads fully loaded, the base clock sits between 4-4.05ghz. In less demanding workloads (such as gaming), all cores will run between 4.1-4.25ghz. I have also seen single cores boost as high as 4.3ghz (although I am not always able to replicate this, I think it is temp dependent). As you can see, I only sacrifice a little bit of performance over a normal overclock but gain a ton of efficiency, with much lower temps to boot. This is my 24/7 setting - not gonna bother running an all core OC when the built in boosting is this good.

lQZHd69.png

Last edited:
Another interesting development to report. I had been reading that some users on OC.net were getting gains in boosting performance by undervolting. I used the exact same settings as the post above with -.1v offset vcore applied, and saw a small bump, with the base clock now going up to 4.1ghz at full load. Still fully prime stable with the undervolt applied. It seems XFR/PB behavior is very sensitive to temp & voltage, even down below 60C at load. Next step for me is going to be pushing the memory speed up with tweaked subtimings - it seems most of the performance gains are to be had there.

2nZhBVi.png

Last edited:
Did you get 1435 CB points with 3.6 ghz or is that an error?

Your timings look good but you could bring the trfc down probably.

Did you get 1435 CB points with 3.6 ghz or is that an error?

Your timings look good but you could bring the trfc down probably.

That's 1435 CB at "stock" with an undervolt, but with precision boost overdrive switched on. The base clock is detected as 3.6ghz, which is the stock frequency of the 2600x, but in reality it is running all cores at 4.1ghz for the benchmark.

What are you using as your PB Scalar value? I am really wondering how far I can push this?

What are you using as your PB Scalar value? I am really wondering how far I can push this?

My board doesn't have the PB Scalar setting. I played around with mem subtimings more and these are the results I'm getting. It's perfectly stable at 3200 low latency, but I can't seem to push up to 3466 without serious stability issues, even when slackening the timings and pushing vmem up to 1.45v. Seems I'm running into either the IMC limitations of the chip or this CL15 kit just can't go any higher.

X6r2coI.png

Last edited:
Some more progress from last night. Pushed up to 3400mhz dram and got it stable at the same timings with 1.48v. I reloaded my previous 4.32ghz OC and got these results:

K1QEwZv.png

qW6LerJ.png

Last edited:
Damn thats pretty bangin. I have not pushed my system much but 1521 CB score is pretty damn impressive.
I really need to tune my box but I am so out of the game I don't even know where to really start.

2600x, on a Asus Prime X470 with 16gb of Trident Z 3200C14 Ram. I am pretty much running the DOCP profile for my memory at the moment and that's pretty much all I have done.
My thermals look good. My machine is sitting in a Meshify C and is cooled with a Dark Rock Pro 4.
My CB scores are no where near where you are at, I think the highest I have seen is 1370ish.

20180503_130934.jpg

Damn thats pretty bangin. I have not pushed my system much but 1521 CB score is pretty damn impressive.
I really need to tune my box but I am so out of the game I don't even know where to really start.

2600x, on a Asus Prime X470 with 16gb of Trident Z 3200C14 Ram. I am pretty much running the DOCP profile for my memory at the moment and that's pretty much all I have done.
My thermals look good. My machine is sitting in a Meshify C and is cooled with a Dark Rock Pro 4.
My CB scores are no where near where you are at, I think the highest I have seen is 1370ish.

View attachment 72669

Build looks sweet! That Meshify is a real nice case - makes my Lian Li look pretty outdated in comparison. Those are great hardware picks all around too - that TridentZ kit should easily be able to push up to 3466C14, and possibly even higher. So with these CPUs there's basically two ways to approach overclocking - you can either raise the multi & vcore for an all core overclock, or you can play around with the overdrive settings and retain the power saving/dynamic boosting features of XFR/PB. I would start by simply enabling Precision Boost Overdrive in bios (Advanced->AMD CBS->NBIO Common Options->Precision Boost Overdrive Configuration). That will give you a 25-50mhz bump in base and boost clocks over stock. You can also try applying an offset vcore undervolt(-.05v to -.1v seems to be a good range). That will lower temps/volts and allow for higher boost clocks as well.

If you want to try an all core OC instead, that's easy enough to dial in - I would start with a multi of 42x, and vcore around 1.38v. Increase the multi in .25x increments, adding voltage as needed. You may also need to use higher LLC settings to add some stability and decrease the amount of vdroop at load. It's unlikely you'll be able to push much beyond 43x as that seems to be the limit of these chips.

Your ram should already be running at 3200C14 with the DOCP profile, but there is a still a considerable amount of performance to extract by tightening the secondary and tertiary timings. Download the Ryzen DRAM calculator. Start by selecting your memory type, rank, and desired frequency (should be B-die, 1, 3200). Next, hit the R-XMP button to load your SPD profile, then hit Calculate FAST and it will spit out recommended timings and voltages. Save the screenshot, pull it up on another device and then carefully input the values in bios. Verify that the timings applied correctly in Windows using Ryzen Timing Check. Use Aida64 and memtest to check for stability. Repeat the same process if you want to try a higher speed (3333, 3466, etc).

It can be a bit overwhelming but hopefully those instructions are straightforward enough. Just give us a shout in here if you need help along the way.

Last edited:
That actually does help, I think I am going to try the PBO route for a bit. My board has 10 levels of PBO, need to see what they exactly break down to before I do.

So I ended up picking up some different memory - got a kit of TridentZ 3200C14 (basically slightly better binned b-die). I'm getting good results with the new memory - I'm able to run tighter timings on these at 3200/3400mhz compared to the C15 kit I had before. Goes to show how important dram binning is, even between different bins of b-die. I really recommend just buying the best binned memory you can allow for in your budget (3600C15 and 3600C16/3200C14 b-die will give the best results). I managed to get sub 60ns on memory latency which is pretty exciting - that's getting close to Intel ring bus levels.

s1aT1Qt.jpg
ERf5lv2.png
4HT1eac.png

Last edited:
Back