R420 canned for R500??!!!

Dithium

Gawd
Did ya'll see this? I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about this? Fact or Fiction?

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...re/grafikkarten/ati/2004/april/ati_r420_r500/

ATi rejects R420 and sets on R500

To all appearances ATi knows somewhat more than the remaining world and sees themselves therefore forced to reject the R420 completely and directly on the successor to set the R500. So ATi has quietly and quietly at the successor trade ELT, while the world waited for the R420. The R500 is allegedly three times faster than the R420!

Reason for this radical step is obviously nVidias future flagship, which seems to be so fast that ATi sees itself except conditions, to begin with the R420 against it. Whether the alleged 16 pipelines of the NV40 are reason for ATis acting or which regards other surprises of the NV40 ready as us, can be so far only speculated.
Surprisingly zaubert ATi however a successor from the hat, which is to take up it with the competition. The R500 ward born. It is to concern a multi-chip solution, which makes possible up to four GPUs on a plate. An PCI express interface is naturally likewise obligation such as GDDR3 memory. Even the solution with only a R500-Grafikchip on the plate will probably not be delivered with less than 512 MT GDDR3 memory. At least 1024 MT memory are to a four-chip solution on the diagram map at the disposal.

Further details are so far however not yet well-known and so may also upon the clock rates and the price be momentarily only speculated. Many more interesting is however, which may be expected of nVidia in view of this message. From the R420 one expected already much, but if ATi can bring the R500 now even without temporal delay directly on the market, the increases in output might be again larger to the current diagram chips finally times than few per cent points.
But nVidia might it still another hot spring is naturally not dormant and so also become, with which nobody would like to lose so fast customers to the competition.

"http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?
lp=de_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.computerbase.de%
2Fnews%2Fhardware%2Fgrafikkarten%2Fati%2F2004%2Fapril%
2Fati_r420_r500%2F"

For some reason it won't paste quite right. Sorry. Just put it together.

That is what I was thinking? Though the that would be a bit of a sour April fools joke. Nvidia and ATI are beating the crap out of each other right now. I have to say it IS possible, but the timing leaves credibility in question.

I don't believe it. For one thing, the R420 (the one being announced in 2 weeks) doesn't support pixel shader 3.0. This is widely known, and "verified" by the ATI ppt slides that were leaked. R500, from all sources in the know, will support PS 3.0.

Also, the R400 was scrapped in favor of the R420. I doubt they'd scrap 2 designs for a third.

I have come to a conclusions. Don't buy a video card, 'CAUSE THEY ALL SUCK!!

Did Ati have a 320 core? Or are they just trying to suck us potheads in? :p

Even if they used overstocked 9700Pro chips, a four-chip solution with 512MBs of DDR3 RAM would cost how much to produce? And therefore "how" much at retail for the end user?

So, a $500 newly designed card from NVIDIA or a $1,200 R500 ATI card? And likely to be a card with no driver support because there couldn't possibly be ready to maximize the hardware driver that could use the four chips?

What a silly thread. :)

Slightly off-topic: as a professional translator, I'm glad to see the quality of that automatic translation... :D There'll be lots of work for me still, especially in Hungary, a country with a language so unique that it hardly resembles any other.

God its scary how quick april fools jokes spread throughout the net this year:eek:
Im suprised the HL2 gone gold hasnt hit hear yet(2 words gullable lmfao:p )

Shame on you for believing that. No company in their right mind would dump a product 2 weeks before launch, let their competition leapfrog them and then spend tens of millions to bring a card to market that won't product returns for several months.

Bah PS 3.0 is a BS position to take on the cards.

We aren't going to see any games out for 12 months that support it and I'd bet the majority of people that buy a card this time around will pick up one next round as well. Not to mention, I'd bet a PS3.0 app runs like ass on a 12 month old piece of hardware when the software DOES hit the street.

Might as well buy for the games today since the ones in the future will probably tax the card too much.

Back