R.I.P. PS3 60GB w/ BC

LurkerLito

2[H]4U
Well it finally happened, my launch PS3 is dead. It finally YLOD on me today after 7 years of service. I will try to do some of the YLOD fixes, since I already partially took it apart to remove the disc from the BluRay drive. Though it now gives me a reason to buy a heat gun ;).

Ugh, Worst part is I just want at least to get it to work again for a few hours to back up the data off the HD. I now kind of regret that I only rarely used the save to cloud feature of PS+ :(.

I have the same PS3, about 2 or 3 years ago I got YLOD and then it wouldn't power on. I got a power supply on ebay and put it on its been working ever since.

Good luck with fixing it.

Just so you know sony will still repair it even if you opened it if you can't fix it. Put it back together exactly the way it should be and they will fix it. They did mine twice after I had opened it and re pasted it years before.

Take the mb out of it and throw it in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. I just did this to my fat 40gb last weekend that had the rlod and it worked. I figured I had nothing to lose if it didnt work since the console was dead anyway. Not sure of the mb layout in the 60gb bc model but I believe that model has the battery mounted on the mb which will need to be removed prior to putting the mb in the over otherwise the battery will explode.

Yeah, dont be lazy! Try and fix it, or get someone else to. It's a great console!

Definitely going to try to repair it with a heat gun (well after I buy one). I am at the moment trying the hairdryer thing to see if I can it to work long enough to do a backup of the data, but after 3 attempts and no success, I'll give it one more go but I don't think it'll work. Temp wise I was only getting about 142 F max and that isn't good enough IMHO. This last attempt I tried using the hairdryer for 30 mins, if this doesn't do it forget that trick. ;)

Don't you dare send it in. They'll keep it and send you a slim or super slim.

What makes an older PS3 great, other than if you have a big PS2 library you want to emulate now or in the future? Other than that a Slim would be better no?

I thought they give the option to keep the same model, but they quote a longer turn-around time. In any case I'd confirm that multiple times before sending it in.

I thought they give the option to keep the same model, but they quote a longer turn-around time. In any case I'd confirm that multiple times before sending it in.

Yeah they won't just send you a slim. I asked them that when I did mine because I had that fear. I got mine back fixed.

What makes an older PS3 great, other than if you have a big PS2 library you want to emulate now or in the future? Other than that a Slim would be better no?

It's so you can play ps2 games the launch 60gb has the ps2 and ps3 hardware in it.

After mine broke again I said screw it and bought a slim and a used ps2 slim.

Take the mb out of it and throw it in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. I just did this to my fat 40gb last weekend that had the rlod and it worked. I figured I had nothing to lose if it didnt work since the console was dead anyway. Not sure of the mb layout in the 60gb bc model but I believe that model has the battery mounted on the mb which will need to be removed prior to putting the mb in the over otherwise the battery will explode.

^ try this, but be careful. DIY always gives you a incomparable (this is weird word btw, sounds wrong) feeling of accomplishment.

Well yeah the BC was nice when I got it, but not really necessary for me anymore, but there are some nice features in the old fat systems, like 4 usb ports, and SACD playback. Probably nothing most people really care about but it's nice to have it in there. The BC was more of a space saver, I still have my original PS2, but I haven't used it in years because I didn't need it once the PS3 with BC came out. Unfortunately with the PS4, I still need a PS3.

I might get the new slim, maybe the GTA5 bundle out a week from Tuesday so it includes a 500GB drive (not too interested in GTA5 but for $70 extra you get a 500GB drive). I just want to attempt the fix before I decide. One way or the other I want a working PS3, especially being a PS+ member and having a collection of games.

Today, I checked the PSU, and it seems fine after testing the voltages with a multimeter so I am pretty sure the PSU is OK. I need to get some no clean flux and a heat gun before I try the actual fix. I don't know about the oven method, you're heating up both sides at the same time, won't that cause issues with the reflow on the side pointing downward if that's where your problem is?

Gah, my 60 gig PS3 decided to stop reading DVD's last night. Blurays still read just fine. This seems to be the exact opposite of almost everybody on the internet.

Just so you know sony will still repair it even if you opened it if you can't fix it. Put it back together exactly the way it should be and they will fix it. They did mine twice after I had opened it and re pasted it years before.

WUT. I just threw a 60gb BC in the trash

Gah, my 60 gig PS3 decided to stop reading DVD's last night. Blurays still read just fine. This seems to be the exact opposite of almost everybody on the internet.

When the last time you used a dvd lens cleaner?

WUT. I just threw a 60gb BC in the trash

That sucks. Yeah I asked them every variable, as long as the machine shows no damage from tampering they will repair it.

I bought a broken one from a yard sale for 15 bucks and spent 100 repairing it so I have a second old one.

Never. Definitely worth a shot before I try sending it in.

I actually had to open mine once and clean both lens directly and it started reading discs again. But try the lens cleaner target sells one that does DVD and bluray it's like 8 bucks.

Cowboom[BestBuy] sells used backwards compatible PS3. With a coupon discount, they can be fairly cheap.

Tried fixing it today, and it sorta works again. It boots up fine now I can get to the XMB, but it seems the machine just shuts down after a few minutes (no game running just trying to access the save game). It looks as if it's overheating, but it's not that hot. I got to copy one save file to the cloud before it shutdown. There is no longer a YLOD, but it does go blinking red after a few minutes. I guess I have to take it apart again tomorrow.

Well my PS3 is fixed as well as it can be by me without spending anymore money. I ended up doing a fan mod to it so the fan runs pretty near full speed at the moment. It's still running very hot, I put it in my bedroom since the TV had an open HDMI port and ran a long Ethernet cable to do the HDD transfer and it's like there's a space heater in the room. It's not even playing a game, it's just transferring data over a wire :eek: . I can probably lower the fan a bit now that I transferred my system to a new Super slim PS3. I am amazed that my system lasted 7 years with the default fan settings. I mean it was nearly silent all these years and right now it's just a little bit quieter than my old XB360 so it's f**king loud :).

For some reason as stated in my previous post, after the initial fix, the PS3 was shutting down so I thought the problem was the fan, but after running the PS3 upside down I could see the fan spinning but really slow. I thought that the fan speed was the cause of the overheating, so I ended up buying a plug and play fan mod on ebay since, I didn't want to splice into the wires on the PS3. The fan mod didn't really help at first after I installed it, but then all of a sudden the PS3 started to work for longer and longer times. I think maybe it's because of my arctic silver 5 being 6 years old (stored in my fridge), took a bit of time to settle in. Not really sure if that really is the cause but at least it's working well enough to transfer the data :D.

The PS3 data transfer utility is not that great and poorly explained. You have to wait a LONG time before the transfer utility even would start, then after it started, it formatted the destination drive, and then the wait happened again after it rebooted before the actual transfer. Counter intuitively I had to disable the internet connection on both consoles before I could get it to work. It also doesn't update the ETAs correctly. When I finally got it started (about 10 hours ago) it gave me an ETA of about 4 hours which sounded reasonable for a little less than 200GB of data. All throughout the process though, it would like hang there for a long time, which having a YLOD PS3 makes you think oh crap it died, but it eventually continued and kept going. That "hang" time is NOT reflected in the ETA, so when it started updating again, it's as if a couple of minutes past instead of the 20-40 minutes that actually went by.

The super slim is very quiet but still does get hot like the old fat PS3. The sliding door thing is something I thought I'd prefer but now that I have used it, having a slot loader was nicer for where my PS3 is located. It also made it feel a bit more like it belonged in a Home Theater setup, but on the plus side you'll never have a disc stuck in the drive if something goes wrong with the PS3. The Super Slim is so much lighter and smaller than the original I am really impressed they made it that small. But I do miss the 4 USB slots. One slot for the move camera, one for charging, or your other accessories like a wheel, or joystick, but it was nice having those extra slots when you wanted to plug in a USB stick and not remove the stuff that's there.

So with that it's done. :D Now I wonder how long that YLOD fix will actually last. I doubt I'll be playing many games on my old phat system, but I guess I can now have a BR player in the bed room if I can make it still work properly with a lower fan speed.

don't the newer PS3s also still play PS2 games just more or less in software/emulation (kinda?) and not in hardware?

don't the newer PS3s also still play PS2 games just more or less in software/emulation (kinda?) and not in hardware?

Nope. It will play PS one. There some ps2 games in the PlayStation store those are converted games not the same thing. The fat ps3 had ps2 hardware in it that has long been removed.

Nope. It will play PS one. There some ps2 games in the PlayStation store those are converted games not the same thing. The fat ps3 had ps2 hardware in it that has long been removed.

That's both correct and wrong at the same time.
There are a few fat PS3s out there that have emulation level backwards compatability and they're all fats as far as I know. There may be a way to get it onto a slim with modded firmware but i'm not 100% sure there.
I sort of lucked into one when I bought the Metal Gear Solid 4 edition. Granted I hardly ever use it as I don't really play PS2 games that much and when I do I use a PC emulator.

My gen2 40GB died about 2 hours after putting in GTA5. Definite system killer for those of us who have older systems. My cooling fan would never calm down for 2 years now while playing ha ha.

That's both correct and wrong at the same time.
There are a few fat PS3s out there that have emulation level backwards compatability and they're all fats as far as I know. There may be a way to get it onto a slim with modded firmware but i'm not 100% sure there.
I sort of lucked into one when I bought the Metal Gear Solid 4 edition. Granted I hardly ever use it as I don't really play PS2 games that much and when I do I use a PC emulator.

I didn't really see the necessity to go into the detail of the backward compatibility.

Launch ones had full hardware then later software. Then slims lost it all but ps1. Now it's easier as the old fat units die to just grab a slim ps3 and if you need ps2 buy a used slim ps2 , it's the more reliable and cheaper way to go.

If you really wanna be anal about it here
https://support.us.playstation.com/...n/playstation-2-games-on-playstation-3-system

Back