QX9775 = 3.2 ghz, 1600fsb, 45nm 12mbL2 , DP, 150w tdp = $1500 each

Not me this time. I'll wait a bit. I've got my V8 platform and I'm quite happy with it for the time being.

But those, who demand to have eight processing engines under the hood of their gaming station will have to pay a price for that. Each Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9775 will cost $1499 in business quantities, meaning that end-users will have to pay over $3000 for processors alone. Dual-socket mainboards for workstations typically cost from $300 to $550, whereas high-end graphics cards usually retail for $399 and upwards. Typically, high-end systems also use high-performance hard disk drives, such as Western Digital Raptor X 150GB, in addition to high-capacity HDDs, such as Seagate Barracuda 1TB, which are also not really affordable. As a result, gamers will have to pay roughly $6000 only for critical components, such as two Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9775, 4GB of memory, 4 graphics cards, one high-speed HDD and one high-capacity HDD. Given that monitor, case, power supply, optical drive, workmanship, various software and so on also do not come for free, Intel Skulltrail gaming stations will easily pass $10 000 milestone.

How many people can honestly say they'll be willing to pay $10,000 on an 8 core, 4 graphics card, 1600W power supply system just so they can play with 16x CSAA on their dual Dell 30" displays? I don't think this is going to be a very popular solution at all....

"$1500 each" ...only. Wow that's a lot. No offense but is that really a great deal, dollar wise? I guess I'll continue with my skip a generation or two policy. Will have a Q6600 in a few days, hopefully.

Here I was hoping that with the price drops on the quad cores, Intel would make an affordable dual quad core system a reality. Two Q6600's for under $300 a piece, and a motherboard for about the same would have sold like hotcakes among the "enthusiast" market. Oh well...:(

How many people can honestly say they'll be willing to pay $10,000 on an 8 core, 4 graphics card, 1600W power supply system just so they can play with 16x CSAA on their dual Dell 30" displays? I don't think this is going to be a very popular solution at all....

The absolute best in any hobby is never cheap. Bugatti Veyron isn't and neither is a Wilson Audio loudspeaker. Only a selected few will be able to afford them and i don't think there are meant for the masses.

The absolute best in any hobby is never cheap. Bugatti Veyron isn't and neither is a Wilson Audio loudspeaker. Only a selected few will be able to afford them and i don't think there are meant for the masses.

I agree, although the MOST people seem to spend on an entire setup would be at the MOST half this.

Although I guess there are crazier things to buy... like Phase Change Coolers and such... I'm sure there WILL be some who will buy this.

I agree, although the MOST people seem to spend on an entire setup would be at the MOST half this.

Although I guess there are crazier things to buy... like Phase Change Coolers and such... I'm sure there WILL be some who will buy this.

Hopefully they will buy the 4 video cards and phase change to go with it, I wanna see records kicked in the face.

Hopefully they will buy the 4 video cards and phase change to go with it, I wanna see records kicked in the face.

If QuadSLI actually worked... that 3dMark score would be like kicking a preschool girl in the face then rolling her down a big hill into the ocean where you had your pirate ship ready to blast her with the cannons.

The Extreme High End, emphasis on the Extreme, the absolute leading edge. Too rich for my blood.:p

If QuadSLI actually worked... that 3dMark score would be like kicking a preschool girl in the face then rolling her down a big hill into the ocean where you had your pirate ship ready to blast her with the cannons.

What, LOL

Still trying to compute this...

You need help. :rolleyes:

If QuadSLI actually worked... that 3dMark score would be like kicking a preschool girl in the face then rolling her down a big hill into the ocean where you had your pirate ship ready to blast her with the cannons.[/QUOTE

Wow, I am glad I dont have a daughter. :eek:

I can't wait for this. It's going to be a beast.

I'm sorry, but did no one else seem to notice the "FB-DIMM" part once again???

Talk about sucking a golf ball through a garden hose...... :rolleyes:

oh wow....i thought intel was moving away from fb-dimms? why are they using it on their latest and greatest enthusiast board?

The Wilson Audio loudspeaker is a great comparison. Both the high-end audio and high end gaming hobby have the same problem--a lack of source material worthy of the hardware.

In other words, yes, you can stack four graphics cards and eight cores, but what software will you be running that takes advantage of that? Even if a game could scale to eight cores, developers will not truly tap that capability until that technology is affordable.

What can you do with eight cores that you can't do with four, as far as gaming goes? Physics and whatnot, eventually, but not for quite a while.

On the graphics card side, the rate of obsolescence of graphics cards is about 1 - 1.5 years, too short to justify shelling out for three or more cards unless you really have disposable income to throw around and you really want to game above 1080p, today. I can appreciate that.

It is nice to have that super high-end option, but that is just not where most enthusiasts are heading--at least not unless there is a big proliferation of 1080p+ monitors. Right now there are like five of them and none of them are high-end.

To really sell this stuff to enthusiasts, hardware and display manufacturers need to convince us that we really want to be above 1080p. When that idea catches on, three or four graphics cards won't seem so far fetched.

oh wow....i thought intel was moving away from fb-dimms?
They are, but it's still a secret. :p

I don't know who really buys these overpriced things, but I'd wait for the 5100 series San Clemente chipset (2S Xeon DDR2) and just overclock cheaper chips. There are bound to be 5100 chipset workstation boards, unfortunately probably not SLI compatible unless nvidia stops being so tight with licenses.

Intel is probably going with the 5000 series chipset because it has a lot more memory bandwidth available than San Clemente will have, essentially quad channel vs dual channel respectively. With such a large amount of L2 cache in the QX9775, bandwidth is probably more important than latency.

That's true, but really, how much bandwidth are PC2-6400 (800MHz) FB-DIMMs going to give you? Add in how insanely hot FB-DIMMs get, higher latency, and insane cost, and I'll take DDR3 ANY day. And I'll second the comment about Intel moving away from FB-DIMMs and moving towards DDR3 -- what happened? I thought they had fully-registered DDR3 already? Isn't that good enough Intel? :confused:

Either way, I don't care -- my next computer will be of the Nehalem variety, anyways. :D

so if its 1600fsb does that mean that p35 chipsets wont support it? or it will just run at a lower fsb?

I would like to see some low multiplier (2-2.4ghz) 300 dollar QCs work with this platform, then I would consider it.
Edit, I wonder if QC kentsfield xeons would work, same socket, same platform basically.

Back