QVL list - Using Non QVL RAM?

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm going to use this board in my upcoming build, and I have several 32GB sets of x16GB DIMMs selected, but none of them are on the QVL list - including some newer Corsair options.

B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0)

Here is the QVL list download link:

For Pinnacle Ridge CPU

I'll be using the Ryzen 2700x

I was going to use the Silicon Power option below:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_dp_19?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A25SITGFW0OQJA
81XZbzEeyrL._SL1500_.jpg
These were selling for 130.00 USD just a week ago, but now I see they have increased to 158.00 USD.
So, now they are the same price as the well known Corsair:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GSKGSM6/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200
71O62yfX1-L._SL1500_.jpg

So why not go with a White set for my all white Corsair case? That, and Corsair is a better known RAM.

However, Neither of those is on the QVL list, whereas this older set of HyperX Fury is - but for a whopping 177.00 USD! Nope!
HyperX Fury 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL16
511qEzw2bmL._SL1200_.jpg

So am I stuck using QVL only RAM that is the older version of almost all RAM currently (Since the board came out in 2018 and it looks like they haven't updated the QVL for some time).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
2000 and 3000 series arent quite as picky with ram. i dont remember checking the qvl and my ram is fine. one thing i have had though is that every set of corsair ram ive ever had or installed has needed a little extra voltage to be rock solid.

There is memory like G.Skill Flare X that is specifically rated and tested to work with AMD cpu's which imo would minimize the risk of it not working but ymmv

They don't test all RAM. Before the 1xxx ryzens I never bothered with qvl and always had good luck.
Even when RAM didn't hit rated speeds on the 1xxx chips it still typically worked.
I wouldn't worry about it. Just know you either might not hit advertised overclock speeds, or you may need to bump up the volts, or both.

They don't test all RAM. Before the 1xxx ryzens I never bothered with qvl and always had good luck.
Even when RAM didn't hit rated speeds on the 1xxx chips it still typically worked.
I wouldn't worry about it. Just know you either might not hit advertised overclock speeds, or you may need to bump up the volts, or both.
The concept of faster ram seems lost on you.

The concept of faster ram seems lost on you.
The concept of overclocking vs shit just working seems lost on you.

Op is concerned about qvl and trying to save money. This is not about faster Ram.

The concept of overclocking vs shit just working seems lost on you.

Op is concerned about qvl and trying to save money. This is not about faster Ram.
You dont care if ram can run at its rated speed as long is can be made to function and are flipping out because you think that is overclocking?

Are you going to overclock? You want the cheapest? Needs to glow? Ram doesn't have to be on the QVL of course it doesn't hurt if it is. And I guess there is some chance it wont work, mostly like mentioned it wont run at rated speed of 3200 is that important? You want to run at rated speeds then you might want to stick to the QVL I would imagine. I like this note at the bottom.. • When running XMP at DDR4 2933 MHz or higher, the system’s stability depends on the CPU’s capabilities

My 2600X on an Asrock runs fine with out QVL list memory. I got them at Microcenter and I think they had one stick of 8gb memory that was on the list and it was only good for one slot and that was it. I think if there was some sort of overwhelming problem with picky ram they would either sell a QVL listed kit or two or not sell the board at all you know what I mean?

Granted I thought there was a ram problem but it turned out to be a bad cpu and when I returned it they gave me what I paid for it and the new processor was on sale for 25 bucks cheaper!

Are you going to overclock? You want the cheapest? Needs to glow? Ram doesn't have to be on the QVL of course it doesn't hurt if it is. And I guess there is some chance it wont work, mostly like mentioned it wont run at rated speed of 3200 is that important? You want to run at rated speeds then you might want to stick to the QVL I would imagine. I like this note at the bottom.. • When running XMP at DDR4 2933 MHz or higher, the system’s stability depends on the CPU’s capabilities

My 2600X on an Asrock runs fine with out QVL list memory. I got them at Microcenter and I think they had one stick of 8gb memory that was on the list and it was only good for one slot and that was it. I think if there was some sort of overwhelming problem with picky ram they would either sell a QVL listed kit or two or not sell the board at all you know what I mean?

Granted I thought there was a ram problem but it turned out to be a bad cpu and when I returned it they gave me what I paid for it and the new processor was on sale for 25 bucks cheaper!
Pretty much you nailed it. I've just had RAM problems before and I really don't want that again. I will not be OCing at all. In fact, I'll turn the turbo mode off on the 2700x for lower power usage and lower cooler fan speeds under load. I wanted to go wiith the R 2600, but I wanted either the Prism cooler or an after market cooler, and so after buying a 50.00+ cooler, I could just buy the 2700x and use the Prism cooler for the same price.

Back