Quote of the Day

Coming from someone whose money comes from ads, data, and diddling with user content. But still amusing. :)

So Myspace Tom is still using the same default picture he used on Myspace all those years ago?

apply-cold-water-to-the-burned-area.jpeg

Yeah, ouch. Yeah, not going to slam a guy that made hundreds of millions of dollars but yeah, those Instagram terms simply sucked.

This kinda reminds of those people that were mocking Mark Zuckerberg when Facebook stock tanked and he lost a couple billion dollars of net worth. Like "haha, thought you were so smart Zuck, how's it feel now??".

This kinda reminds of those people that were mocking Mark Zuckerberg when Facebook stock tanked and he lost a couple billion dollars of net worth. Like "haha, thought you were so smart Zuck, how's it feel now??".

Kind of stupid for the average person to mock a guy that lost a couple of billion on paper but still had billions more left.

Somebody is eating humble pie and I seriously doubt it is Tom. :D

Nice. :) Glad to see money didn't kill his sense of humor. Got that guy pretty good! :D

Down from 12b$ and if he didn't sell out he wouldn't have even made 500m$.

Also, who still uses MySpace.

I hate twitter myspace facebook etc. etc.... But seeing someone pop shit off, then get destroyed, THEN delete his account because the bitch could not handle a couple million people laughing at him... made my day...thanks for the laugh steve...

That was awesome. It's like those beer commercials. Polotapia = Smooth but not rich. Tom = Rich and Smooth.

if i Had 500 million dollars I'd be pretty damn funny and witty too. Simply because I could spend my day doing nothing but thinking up cool and or crazy shit to say.

Seriously though - 500 million is enough for him and his next 5 generations of kids to live very very well. (properly managed of course) If you are making 25 million a year off interest alone, you are winning.

If I had that type of money I'd say the same smart sass mouth type of stuff, but I'd do it while wearing a top hat and monocle. Just because.

If I were worth $500m, something tells me I wouldn't be spending my time on Twitter...

Well he succeeded, insult some random guy and totally deflect from the original comment being right.

Both Zucker and Tom live off selling people's info, and jesus f*** they're defending cryptic lawyer speak.

It makes me laugh that this guy thinks making some money improves him as a person. An asshole is an asshole.

1. 500Million is a boat load of money no matter how you look @ it. BURN!
  2. Instascam was and will be (kind of) free to use still. So if you don't like the terms of use and jump off the bandwagon, they're not loosing sleep (or money) over you.

It bothers me that people don't grasp the true economic cost of providing a service. It would bother me bother me if I had to go to work and not get paid. So if the people found some way of making a buck off you, big deal!

I'm surprised by the amount of ignorance I've seen in response to this Instagram thing. Instagram's a free service. It's not like they can imbed ads in your shitty artistic pictures of your cat. Seriously, how do people expect them to make money?:rolleyes:

Today's XKCD was fitting:
http://xkcd.com/1150/
instagram.png

I'm surprised by the amount of ignorance I've seen in response to this Instagram thing. Instagram's a free service. It's not like they can imbed ads in your shitty artistic pictures of your cat. Seriously, how do people expect them to make money?:rolleyes:
They gave people less than 30 days to get out and half of that is over the holiday. One hell of a way to annoy your user base.

Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean people are obligated to sit there and take it. They have a right to leave. This is why they're backtracking. And freaking bad attitude by people who expected people to just take it, isn't helping them.

The fact is that Instagram used investor money to 'dump' their service on the market in a way other services trying to monetize couldn't match. Their service is so capable of being mimicked it isn't funny. Its the lack of trying to monetize their service is the same reason they are so popular. So now that Instagram has become ubiquitous, they want to charge. And crying that they may lose their marketshare. Boo Hoo.

If this was TV's or autos (and politicians weren't bought and paid for like no other time) anti-trust would have been all over their asses for what they did to capture the market.

Down from 12b$ and if he didn't sell out he wouldn't have even made 500m$.

Also, who still uses MySpace.

:rolleyes:

Yeah he probably cries in his Natty Light over only having a half bil. I mean what can you do with only half a billion? Probably has to fly first class with the plebs.

It makes me laugh that this guy thinks making some money improves him as a person. An asshole is an asshole.

I am pretty sure in that little twitter battle the issue of what kind of person one is never came up, but let me read it again. Yup, no mention of what kind of character a person has. Clearly the first attempt at a burn had to do with running a business. Clearly the response had to do with the fact that the person being criticized became a multimillionaire off of his simple idea. But nice try on trying to mislead and misdirect the intent.

[snippet]

Wow, where to start. Let's go bottom to top here...

If this was TV's or autos (and politicians weren't bought and paid for like no other time) anti-trust would have been all over their asses for what they did to capture the market.

If it was TV's or autos you would be 'paying' for actual property no? What are you 'paying' for on instagram? This model has been around and approved for a long time now. There is nothing new or fishy about it.

The fact is that Instagram used investor money to 'dump' their service on the market in a way other services trying to monetize couldn't match. Their service is so capable of being mimicked it isn't funny. Its the lack of trying to monetize their service is the same reason they are so popular. So now that Instagram has become ubiquitous, they want to charge. And crying that they may lose their marketshare. Boo Hoo.

Exactly, they used 'investor' money, not YOUR money. So they are doing what they think is in the best interest of the 'investors' namely trying to make more money to improve revenue and dividends. If their service could be mimicked so easily then why don't you go develop a system and mimick it and see how that works out for you? Don't worry I'll wait...nothing? Thought so.

Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean people are obligated to sit there and take it. They have a right to leave. This is why they're backtracking. And freaking bad attitude by people who expected people to just take it, isn't helping them.

Wow, spot on again. They DO have the right to do it. You realize your entire post self contradicts. You argue about the government getting involved over anti-trust (which is a completely ludicrous assertion) yet you admit they have a 'right' to do what they are doing. Seriously, why are you so butthurt? If you don't like it, don't use it. People don't just expect people to 'take it'. Instagram obviously expects people to accept it like they have accepted policies from Facebook and Google which are wildly popular. Other people, like me, who find 'this' sort of argument ridiculous understand the best way to vote is with your feet. If it was that bad, society would speak up and leave. Obviously society does not agree with your assertions at this time.

They gave people less than 30 days to get out and half of that is over the holiday. One hell of a way to annoy your user base.

So what 'exactly' is the correct number of days people need? How are their policies going to affect people that are vacationing or enjoying the holidays? I doubt the average person takes a month off for the holidays as the average person can't afford to take that much time off for the holidays. And even if the average person 'were' to take off that much time for the holidays, the average person still is usually checking the internet. We live in a connected age where the average person barely goes a day without the internet much less a week or a few weeks.

*completely misses the point*
Actually the point is they gave away something that was financially unsustainable, a service without ads, to dominate the market.

If dumping physical product was too much of a mental stretch for you, how about Dish TV going commercial & fee free for 3 years? Using some big wad of cash to destroy the competition. Then once they're gone, They believe they have a right to that captive audience.

That's what is exactly happened here. They did something that was externally subsidized to take the market. Now they expect users to sit still and be happy when they try to cash in? That's fucking nuts, really. If they didn't want to raise false expectations from consumers, they should have monetized almost from the beginning.

*completely misses all points*

See I can be snide too and now I can completely disregard everything you said, like you completely disregarded everything I said, and then make a completely nonsensical argument to then try to justify the fact that I didn't read what everyone wrote but just wanted to add my own arguments without having to bother doing any research.

Tell me jpm100, do you PAY for instagram? If you are not happy, can you not just refuse to use their service? Are you FORCED to use it at all? What a company 'expects' is irrelevant. You can always vote with your feet. Arguing over their policy changes is stupid. Are the policies ridiculous? Yes, I never argued that. Do I think the company is crazy? Yes, I have never used instagram because I saw this coming. Why would a company do this? Because other companies are doing it very successfully, why shouldn't they when it is proven lucrative? If people are so outraged they can vote with their feet.

The question is do you shop at Amazon? How about Walmart? How about Best Buy? How about Home Depot? How about NewEgg? How about MicroCenter? How about Fryes? How about any number of huge stores and chains? Because this is the exact model they all follow. Get funded, find a way to drive down their costs and sell cheaper than their competition, run their competition into the ground by mass producing at low costs and offering lower prices. While you may hate the practice, it is how business works and has always worked and will continue to work.

Back