Quote Of The Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Cliff Bleszinski, trying to explain why there was no GoW2 beta, gave us the quote of the day.

A beta is like hooking up with a girl just to say, "yeah, I f***ed her." I know that sounds crude, but it's the honest-to-God truth. Once you play a beta, you can check it off your list--you can say, "yeah, I played it." Then you might not feel motivated to get that initial cherry popping from the proper, final game.

A beta is kinda like a turd in aluminum foil because you can say hey look at that turd in aluminum foil.

So they don't want to release a beta for fear of getting fucked?

Sounds like they just want to milk more money out of a game with few updates from the original.

They really need to start gagging that guy. If I was doing pr for Epic I would be extremely pissed off at this loser.

I liked it how he went on about no GOW2 for PC (didn't know the first one came out until the news told me about how poorly it sold) because of piracy, and then GOW2 360 "leaks".

As if most PC games these days aren't released as pay-to-play betas anyway.

LOL @ pfunkman
yeah Cliffy is a bit too frank but with respect to most of the more casual gamers I know, he's right. A lot of them just play betas and demos and never bother buying.

From now on, stealing software will no longer be called 'pirating', but will henceforth be known as 'Game Rape'.

I know that when I buy a new title, I always say "Gee, I can't wait to get this home and violently penetrate it!"

I think he's just trying too hard to sound cool. It doesn't work incredibly well in public especially if its nerd-to-nerd conversation :D.

LOL @ pfunkman
yeah Cliffy is a bit too frank but with respect to most of the more casual gamers I know, he's right. A lot of them just play betas and demos and never bother buying.

Maybe because the beta and demos taste like shit and leave a bad taste in their mouth?

if it was good, people would want more, but if they dont, it must be because of piracy, or lame ass "hook up references"

This guy Cliffy is a good example of what happens when you make some money with a big hit, all that money goes into your Ego and rots the rest of your brain

he is like the 2008 version of John Romero

hmmm this seems like a horrible ploy for people to figure out how bad the game is by paying for it. if people play the demo and realize how shitty it is of course it doesn't make sense to put out a demo. better to get the suckers who will play for the whole bull when all you needed was some milk.

Cliff Bleszinski said:
A beta is like hooking up with a girl just to say, "yeah, I f***ed her." I know that sounds crude, but it's the honest-to-God truth. Once you play a beta, you can check it off your list--you can say, "yeah, I played it." Then you might not feel motivated to get that initial cherry popping from the proper, final game.

Translation = "If we let people see our games before they buy them, they'll know our games are a shuddering heap of uninspired shit and we'll lose a potential sale."

Bravo Cliffy. /Notice how he dropped the Y after being criticized for it.

Here's his thoughts:

If DEMO = CRAP, then PEOPLE = DON'T BUY AND MONEY = 0

If FINAL GAME = CRAP AND NO DEMO, PEOPLE = PISSED OFF AND MONEY = ALOT

hmmm this seems like a horrible ploy for people to figure out how bad the game is by paying for it. if people play the demo and realize how shitty it is of course it doesn't make sense to put out a demo. better to get the suckers who will play for the whole bull when all you needed was some milk.

Unfortunately, even a free bull will get you no milk. ;)

Here's his thoughts:

If DEMO = CRAP, then PEOPLE = DON'T BUY AND MONEY = 0

If FINAL GAME = CRAP AND NO DEMO, PEOPLE = PISSED OFF AND MONEY = ALOT

Since when did beta translate to demo? I guess Ill play devil's advocate here, but I think he means there are more people out there who want the beta to play the game before release instead of actually reporting bugs. The more popular the game the more true the statement becomes. Anyone who played the tribes2 beta/meta will know exactly what I'm talking about.

I couldn't disagree more. Betas are conducted for very specific purposes, typically load testing and to gauge the playability of certain features or configurations of the game. Not every game needs a beta, but it is common for games that expect to host large numbers of multiplayer users to conduct a beta to at least make sure they can perform well under stress.

What Cliff seems to be talking about is Demos, which I also diagree with him. Demos of good games drive sales, it's a proven metric. If you love chocolate, and I give you one piece from an entire box, you are more likely to buy the entire box than if you hadn't tasted it. Of course if it sucks, you've lost a sale, but given the track record of the original Gears of War I don't think he has much to worry about. My guess is that for Gears 2, it has more to do with either not enough time to produce a demo, or not wanting to reveal any more of the experience and storyline prior to actually playing the full title than they have to, which is a far more legitimate reason than making an analogy to a sexual conquest.

Since when did beta translate to demo? I guess Ill play devil's advocate here, but I think he means there are more people out there who want the beta to play the game before release instead of actually reporting bugs. The more popular the game the more true the statement becomes. Anyone who played the tribes2 beta/meta will know exactly what I'm talking about.

When it comes to Cliffy B and his crew demo = beta, release = beta and patched release still = beta.

Wtf is a meta though?

I will agree with you if there is in fact a demo out before the game.

Otherwise he speaks truth. beta/demo = bad idea if the game is a pile of shit.

My argument goes back to the "used game sales hurt the market" mentality. I think we should be able to sell used games. They cost $50 and if I bought one only to find I hated it, I really do not deserve to be fucked out of $50 (which has happened before). At least being able to sell used means I can get something back. If these game devs stopped putting out shitty games, less of them would already be for sale used less than a week after release. There probably is some % where someone blows thru a game and then moves on.. but then again why do games have to keep getting shorter and shorter.

I buy all my games, and I will be the first to point out that piracy has had a bad impact on PC gaming. We should all pay for the games we like and play. But by the same token I don't think I should get stuck with a pile of crud game without some kind of recourse. And you know they aren't going to give full refunds to dissatisfied customers. (Sierra used to do that you know)

CliffyB said:
A beta is like hooking up with a girl just to say, "yeah, I f***ed her." I know that sounds crude, but it's the honest-to-God truth. Once you play a beta, you can check it off your list--you can say, "yeah, I played it." Then you might not feel motivated to get that initial cherry popping from the proper, final game

Translation:

"Once you play a demo, you can check it off your list -- you can say "yeah, that game was a steaming pile of shit". Then you might not feel motivated to give us your money for that steaming pile of shit when we release the full product"

Every time he opens his mouth he digs a deeper and deeper hole where all the respect for Epic used to be.

They just don't want to put the effort into releasing a demo and don't want to risk the demo reveling the game is a total POS.

No demo = at least day one sales on hype and trailers alone. Both of which the producer has full control of and can manipulate however they wish.

Is he still single...I just wouldn't be surprised if he was from using lines like that on the ladies?

And I always regarded Beta's as the almost final demo of the game, surely feedback from the public would have helped make the game better, Force Unleashed would have been better if they listened to the public for a change (unfortunately LA don't read the forums, and they don't listen to the public), so we are stuck with a game that has short appeal, no multi-player, and is still full of obvious bugs that Quality Control somehow missed?

Not providing Beta's/Demos is a little bit of a risk to take on a final product that could easily do well and make a substantial amount of money or get buried as the biggest turkey ever.

hiring Cliff Bleszinski as a PR guy in the future is a great idea only...........................not. He may help in making great games and level designs but he is a shitbag otherwise. im dissapointed there is no GoW2 pc version, but at the same time i know im not contributing to a bonus he may get down the road.

When it comes to Cliffy B and his crew demo = beta, release = beta and patched release still = beta.

Wtf is a meta though?

point well taken.

The meta was the second go around with the beta testers. Long story short..if you were actually beta testing and bug reporting you got into the "meta" . It was their way of weeding out the folk who just weren't up to the task and keeping the ones who were taking it seriously.

What about a demo? Or is beta the new marketing buzzword for demo?

"Come play our 'beta' build! If you think our game sucks, thats okay, because it's only a beta and we're working on improvements as we speak. Yup. Even though the game is about to go gold, this is still a beta!"

I can understand no beta, frankly the term "Beta" is being used far too much these days and has really lost the overall meaning of what it was meant to be.

However the fact that they are not releasing a Demo takes this game straight off the buy list. There is no Excuse at all for not releasing some form of a Demo. If we are going to be forced to not be able to return a game to the store. Then there had certainly better be a Demo so I can try it before dropping hard earned cash, especially in Today's econ. I simply wish more gamers would take this stance and stop forking out money to bad games. The no return policies and lack of "Try before you Buy" is allowing for far too many crap games to make far more money then they should. I do not advocate piracy, but if a game company refuses to release a proper demo (Proper meaning able to get a good feel of the game, not some bullshit 5 minute "oohh look at the pretty colors" crap), then by all means Rent it or if it is unavailable to rent Pirate it before you buy it. Stop Giving crappy games your money, stop encouraging piss poor development, and lastly stop for the love of all that is good defending shitty games. Game publishers need to either force a Demo to be released by the devs, or allow people to return a product. If they are confident in the quality of their game, then a demo should be no problem. If they don't want to release a demo because they fear loss of sales, then that right there should tell the consumer "Buyer Beware, We don't believe our product is good enough to let you try it first."

Wait, wait... There was no beta, because the developer thinks gamer have a fear of commitment?

Or is it that they can't stand to look in the mirror the morning after the one-night-stand beta? I mean, c'mon Cliff, let's be realistic. It was great, really! We had a lot of fun, but we both know this isn't going anywhere. It's not you, it's me. But call me, you know, if you're ever looking for a good time...

I don't get this analogy at all.
The point of a BETA is to get all the bugs out of the software....wait a minute, I think I get it now...

Back