Quote of the Day: 'Borderlands Has Zero Competition'

You speak as though you have spent <10 hours actually playing TF2. While it isn't my cup of tea any longer, your statements about the game are completely wrong.

I've played a few rounds at various times because various people have said it's the best thing evar and it for some reason (probably the usual valve teet sucking) has acclaim. But if a game is completely boring compared to other titled you're supposed to plow through 50 boring mediocre hours just to make sure? Does your brain slowly step down a few gears after a while and then you can live your life at a speed where it's actually enjoyable? I've tried with randoms, i've tried with friends, either time it's just been boorish and stolid to make it too annoying to continue. :p

But anyway, how exactly is it completly wrong? Did everyone on the server miss the sprint button or have it set on walk mode? Was there some mod on every random server where the aiming was set to easy and there was a constant slowmo? Or is there a hidden gamemode without all the weapons or with better balanced classes and larger maps?

The only people i know who play it regularily just seem to do it so they can "grind" for crap. It's a dull tedious casual paced version of Q3 or UTwhatever focused on easy play to the level it's had all the fun drained from it's already withered husk. Maybe if I was 8 it might be enjoyable... but by then i'd already been playing better games.

I can't say much about the PC version of Borderlands, since I played it on Xbox 360, but I can definitely say that if you went in thinking it was supposed to be like Fallout, then yes you are going to be dissapointed. It's like saying Dragon Age is a terrible copy of Diablo. I guess it is, since it's not a copy of it at all.

NOT ALL GAMES OF A GENRE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE SAME.

Borderlands was more of an Action RPG/FPS hybrid. Take Diablo 2 and mix it with roughly equal portions FPS and that's basically what you get. The story isn't the focus, it's finding new weapons that are better than the ones you have, and levelling up. It's not really open world, but you are given a good deal of freedom regardless.

The closest game to it was probably Dead Island, but there were significant differences, like larger open areas in Dead Island, different art style, inclusion of breakable melee weapons, etc.

I think that Dead Island plays like Fallout 3 and a bit like Rage and Left 4 Dead. You have a safe house, missions, traders, money, weapons upgrades & searching containers.

It's a legitimate question despite some people's notion of a successful game, sales numbers-wise. If Portal 2, which didn't exactly sell CoD numbers but did well for a niche genre, has had multiple knockoffs already, then why not Borderlands.

The real answer might be because it was a sleeper hit. And Chinese knockoff studios like the one behind the TF2 clone game Final Combat can't make a knockoff overnight after they've identified a game they want to copy.

To some degree Rage had a similar concept to Borderlands. At the very least, the post-apocalyptic setting, racing/shooting, and Mad Max'ish look and feel.
Probably worth noting that because Rage took so damned long, Borderlands beat them to the punch, but didn't take nearly as much time/money to produce.
The idea of a Diablo'ish FPS really hasn't been messed with all that much.

I would say the closest thing to a Borderlands clone is Dead Island. They are both FPS RPG that were designed with 4-player online co-op as the ideal way to play. Both have similar loot systems and both use a three tiered skill tree for leveling.

Obviously the art style is very different, as is the setting, and the quality / stability of the game. But still... I would call that the closest thing to a copy / competitor of Borderlands.

C'mon now, a game spawns a ton of clones you get *qq* "Why is everyone trying to rip off our game?!"

If no one clones a successful game you get *qq* "Why isn't our game good enough for people to copy?!"

Stop whining and hurry up with BL2! Needs moar dubstep robot.

Cloning games is how games involved, improve and get better. Don&#8217;t know why people don&#8217;t get this. How many Doom clones were created when it became a hit? Were they all bad clones? Jedi Knight, Heretic and Duke3D much have been terrible!

Cloning games is how games involved, improve and get better. Don’t know why people don’t get this. How many Doom clones were created when it became a hit? Were they all bad clones? Jedi Knight, Heretic and Duke3D much have been terrible!

OMG yes, I agree. Well, maybe Jedi Knight wasn't totally awful because Star Wars hadn't quite been done completely to death by then, but those other two...yeah, no argument from me. They were just stupid.

Boarderlands was an awesome game if you had 3 friends playing with you. If you were going it solo, combat got a bit monotonous and the enemies were a bit on the weak side, even on the second play through.

I would say the closest thing to a Borderlands clone is Dead Island. They are both FPS RPG that were designed with 4-player online co-op as the ideal way to play. Both have similar loot systems and both use a three tiered skill tree for leveling.

Obviously the art style is very different, as is the setting, and the quality / stability of the game. But still... I would call that the closest thing to a copy / competitor of Borderlands.

I concur. It's too bad that Dead Island had so many problems, because the groundwork for Borderlands, while great, leaves much open to be improved upon.

Seriously it's the boringest arena shooter I've ever played, other than Brink, and Brink looks better.

The single worst part about it is the speed at which everyone moves, it just kills the game. The W key gets impacted into the backboard with the pressure applied, but you just don't go anywhere at any speed, it's like geriatric paintball with blunderbusses. The reason for this is probably because of the crappy tiny size of the levels, but it just makes it completely lack the frantic fun of other arena shooters. Even the "speedy" class is fairly slow. I know they did it to make it easy and "accessible", but it makes it dull to play as you walker frame down a corridor for 15 minutes. The levels are all too small for proper long range battles, so it's close up action at walking pace. The aiming is a little...screwy too.

The cheap classes and random pay 2 win weapons means the balance is kind of screwy. Starting with all the weapons also means there isn't really any tactics/resource domination like in other gamemodes. Shit balance, shitty visuals, boring weapons, boring classes, shitty community, boring tiny levels...then they added micro transactions/p2w to kill it.

It's been heavily casualized to make it easy to play and accessible for everyone, but it's just dull. It never raises tempo from slowass. It's hard to finish a whole round without bored quitting, and I've done 24 games of Quake 2/3 various UT, Tribes, CS, BF etc. :p

What the fuck did I just read? Did someone slip crystal meth into my drink this morning?

But anyway, how exactly is it completly wrong?

I'm not calling it wrong. Just grossly uninformed. Reading your comments made me feel like a teacher reading a book report- from a student that skimmed the movie trailer instead of reading the book.

I finished Borderlands but I had to really force myself. The game had a severe lack of interesting enemies and was quite boring after awhile.

I'm not calling it wrong. Just grossly uninformed. Reading your comments made me feel like a teacher reading a book report- from a student that skimmed the movie trailer instead of reading the book.

So...if a game is awful for the first hours of play you should plow through it for a month just to make sure? I don't think I could put up with that crap for that long, I guess i'm just going to have to "miss out".

So...if a game is awful for the first hours of play you should plow through it for a month just to make sure? I don't think I could put up with that crap for that long, I guess i'm just going to have to "miss out".

I played TF2 for a few hours...probably less than 15 to see if I liked it and your earlier comments are pretty much a mirror of my opinion. To TF's benefit, it was sluggish enough not to trigger FPS nausea, but far too much of a gear grind. Also, paying money to open item boxes collected in the game was sorta a turn-off (though I understand there has to be some incentive and payout for the people that created and maintain it).

Come to think of it, TF was the last new FPS I bothered playing so I guess it was bad enough discourage me from playing something else. I used to really enjoy the Unreal Tournament and Battlefield games, but going back them after the giant "meh" of TF made them seem sort of unfun too.

That's true, other shooters are way better so they don't really compete with it so much as stop all over it :).

I never could get in to Borderlands.

I loved Borderlands. Once the PC configurator came out it made all the difference in the world. Single player, multiplayer...addictive as hell. I can't wait for part 2. I very seriously doubt Gearbox will repeat the same mistakes that happened on the launch of part 1.

To TF's benefit, it was sluggish enough not to trigger FPS nausea, but far too much of a gear grind.

Majority of the items ingame are reskins. They provide no benefit over stock weapons at all or they don't give anyone a boost without tradeoffs. (25% faster shooting speed but 25% less ammo before reload. Reloading takes as long as a shot, so in the end it's a wash.) You don't need the item drops to play as well as the next guy. Hell, half the classes I play with use the stock weapons anyway. Especially sniper, that scope is awesome.

If you dislike the crates that much, just trade them for a weapon you want. Plenty of people will take a crate for a common item in exchange.

Isnt Borderlands just a complete rip-off of Hellgate London, just done better?

My thoughts exactly. Hellgate: London beat them to the punch but failed hard and early. Thing is though, Hellgate: London didn't just focus on gun-play, you had wands and melee weps too.

They are right though, they currently have no competition in their sub-genre. Like right now, I'm planning to buy both Torchlight 2 AND Borderlands 2 instead of choosing between the two.

There's currently barely anything out like Borderlands.

can i say the driving in borderland ... was AWFUL

I'll agree with that. Back when RAGE first hit, people said that Borderlands was "better in every way."
Not the driving...and it's not like Rage's driving was overly good to begin with.

I don't care if you, you, or you didn't like Borderlands. I loved the game and will get BL2 on launch day.

Back