Quite and Cheap hard drive

Aku12

Gawd
I know this isnt really HTPC, but i dont go into the harddrive forums and the quite factor is better suited for the HTPC crowd.

so here is the deal, i think my old 40gb 5400rpm seagate died on me after 6 loyal years.

the major dilemma, and if people could help me out then i wouldnt need a new drive is this:

When installing windows on my new sATA drives i get to the first install and copying of files just fine, but when it reboots it gives an error of "Error loading OS", yes i know this is because it is not reading from the motherboard in the correct format, but unfortunately i do not have the option to put sATA drives into LBA mode, only only Default and Large.

but off that subject, i just need an OS drive. 20 would be enough, but from my searching the cheapest you are going to get nowadays is around $50-$60 dollars and the difference from 40 to 80 is about 4 dollars. But if anyone out there knows of a dead silent 40-80gb hard drive for around $60 dollars that would be great. Just figured if i was going to be buying a new harddrive i might as well get a silent one.

Thanks...

The Maxtor DiamondMax 10 series are said to be pretty quiet but I also hear alot of head drives as well.

If your not looking for anything "fancy" I would suggest a Seagate 7200.7 series HD.

quiet
quite

For cheap and quiet, there's nothing better than PXE boot. No hard drive required, and you use a server you already have.

Otherwise, I'd look for a used Barracuda 5.

kleptophobiac said:
quiet
quite

For cheap and quiet, there's nothing better than PXE boot. No hard drive required, and you use a server you already have.

Otherwise, I'd look for a used Barracuda 5.

Posted: Yesterday, 03:48 AM ;)

Back