Quietest cooling solutions for Core i7-5820K?

justbenice

Limp Gawd
Hi all,
I am building a new computer with Intel Core i7-5820K and x99 motherboard, i wonder what will be quietest cooling solutions for it ? Air or water? I do OC , but not much, i think i will running it 24/7 with 3.6 or 3.8 Ghz.
Thank you !

Well one issue is that "quiet" is relative. I would say look into the AIO water coolers, as they are simple, easy, and effective. Big radiator area means you can use slower/quieter fans. Some dislike the sound the pump noise can make however. It's usually very quiet, but again, "quiet" can mean different things to different people. Sometimes water pumps can give off a noise that, while still quiet, sound very different from fan noise (more like fish tank noise) and can still bother some.

I am on that does not like the fishtank buzz/hum of the water pump.

I would suggest going with a Noctua DH-15, it makes very little noise unless the fans are ramped up to 70% or more, depends on your case too.

TRUE Spirit 140 Rev.A cools 1c warmer and 2dBA quieter than NH-D14, which is about 1c warmer then the best like NH-D15, R1 Ultimate, Silver Arrow IB-E, PH-TC14PE, FI-REEX Deluxe, etc.

I like the TRUE Spirit 140 more than the Noctua DH-15, the Noctua DH-15 take a lot of space.

If you aren't going to OC much, a heavy chunk of an air cooler with 1-2 large slow spinning fans will probably be quietest. I went with a full water loop to quiet the GPU too and it's great, but obviously pricier.

What is your GPU? I've generally get nice cooling and noise improvement by simply removing the stock fans and shroud and replaying with 120mm fans. Need an extra PCIe space for thicker fans and takes some slight of hand to wire them up to GPU fan header, but depending on what GPU there are adapters available .. or use Arctic F12 TC fans. They have temperature control on a probe. Placing the probe between finpack and GPU PCB usually give the rpm range needed. They idle 400rpm up to 32c, then climb to full speed at 38c, and can be use different voltage input to regulate their top speed.Available in normal housing and "Pro" housing (I prefer normal) in 80, 90 & 120mm. s

Hi doyll,
My card is SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X, thank you for the advise, i will check the Arctic F12 TC

If you have a couple of 120mm fans you can try out on it first I would advise it. That way you don't spend money and find out it didn't work for you. Just run them at full speed with heavy load on GPU to see if temps are same or lower than with stock fans.

I'm assuming it has a 3x fan cooler similar to this
11226-00_R9_290X_TRI-X_4GBGDDR5_DP_HDMI_2DVI_PCIE_C01_635225387918285753.JPG
, not a reference

and not a reference model with a single blower fan like this.
21226-00_R9_290X_4GBGDDR5_DP_HDMI_2DVI_PCIE_C01_635180474402048214.jpg

Here is link to a guy doing the conversion.
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/131944-two-120mm-case-fans-to-gpu/?p=1780721

Mount as low as possible to help keep heated exhaust moving up and away rather than circling under fans and back in. I use zip-ties to secure the two fans together, then use zip-tie on each end of fan double pack going down through fan mount hole of fan, around back of finpack and up through mount hole of fan, then put the locking end of another zip-tie on and tighten.
22small.jpg

23small.jpg

For temporary mounting for testing rubber bands are quick and easy. ;)

Thank you doyll, yes my card have 3 fan. I will see if i can "upgrade" to that 2 bigger fan.

5820k here on a h100i.

The h100i's fans are as loud as my last i7's heatsink/fan combo. Disappointing, but I'm already used to fan noise at this point and don't notice it during games.

From my reading, unless you can invest in higher quality water cooling equipment, than it can sometimes make more noise than an air cooler. I'll recommend the BeQuiet! Dark Rock CPU cooler. Not only Is it a beautiful looking piece of equipment, it also performs wonderfully, and it is literally the most quiet thing you will never hear. I have one cooling my i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz and temps never go over 65° max but they are usually just under 60°C. Even with the Silent wings fan at full bore, I have to literally stick my head in my case to hear it, and I still can't really hear it. The Silent Wings fans are amazingly quiet, they are basically inaudible. However, there are fans that perform better at the cost of a small amount more noise. If you would prefer performance over silence in this sense, then you simply can't beat Phanteks PH-F140 SP fans. They also make the MP model which have a different blade design ideal for radiator use. They are very quiet and push a lot of air and produce good static pressure, and to boot, phanteks customer service is some of the best service I have had.

From my reading, unless you can invest in higher quality water cooling equipment, than it can sometimes make more noise than an air cooler. I'll recommend the BeQuiet! Dark Rock CPU cooler. Not only Is it a beautiful looking piece of equipment, it also performs wonderfully, and it is literally the most quiet thing you will never hear. I have one cooling my i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz and temps never go over 65° max but they are usually just under 60°C. Even with the Silent wings fan at full bore, I have to literally stick my head in my case to hear it, and I still can't really hear it. The Silent Wings fans are amazingly quiet, they are basically inaudible. However, there are fans that perform better at the cost of a small amount more noise. If you would prefer performance over silence in this sense, then you simply can't beat Phanteks PH-F140 SP fans. They also make the MP model which have a different blade design ideal for radiator use. They are very quiet and push a lot of air and produce good static pressure, and to boot, phanteks customer service is some of the best service I have had.

Thank you so much !!!!
I am very impressed and can't resit to buy a Dark Rock PRO 3 !
But the problem is, i read some review and the DARK ROCK PRO 2 even better than the DARK ROCK PRO 3 ? ? ? What happend ?

Last edited:
My current HSF is Is Prolimatech Megahalems, Do you think it worth to change to Dark Rock PRO 3?
Thank you !

Last edited:
Dark Rock Pro 3 is a great cooling, but so is the Megahalems. Megahalems with good fan/s is very close to what DRP3 is, just doesn't look as nice. :D

just in case someone need the Dak Rock Pro3 : Newegg are selling it at 59$ !!!! i'v just bought one.

Back