Quietest Case with room for NINE HDDs?

If you dont need an optical (not that unlikely if this is for a server) Id get a PC-A17 and 2x ex-33s to have 3x120mms in the front so you could run them pretty slow and still have great airflow

I suspect most cases have very poor air flow.

I finally built a wooden case. I put 2 120mm fans - blowing in, on the left and 2 on the right, blowing out. Antec 3 speed fans on low. Tends to be quiet.

8 hard drives hang in front of the fans on the left, 3 hard drives (and the power supply) hang in front of the fans on the left. The motherboard is in the middle of the case.

I have one of the original cosmos cases which supports 6 hard drives and can easily mount another 3 or 4 if you don't need an optical.

I've packed 11 HDs + floppy + cdrom in a P182. If you don't need floppy/cdrom, swap them for another couple of drives. Plus, the P182 is both quiet and cool. I find the Lian Li's to toast the drives in the drive cage furthest from the front intake fan; many of their series lack sound deadening material, and the case I used to have seemed to vibrate something, maybe one of the side panels; it was very very annoying. The build quality of the P182 is very good (though not always perfect), but I find the sound deadening design to be top notch.

Stacker 810's are great for capacity, but once I experienced a door to block the immediate noise eminating from the front of the case, I never turned back. You could pack 9 to 11 drives in a Sonata too, but its not as cool as the P182.

Yes, it'll be for my server... I'd like room for at least 6 drives but would prefer 10. looks like the P182 will be it.

Thanks

for about $100 you can get a 5in3 hotswap module, fits 5 HDs in 3 - 5 1/4" bays. Or for less you can get a tray that just holds the drives. I've been meaning to see if I can mod out the lower 4HDD bay to take a hotswap module instead but I haven't found a 5in3 hotswap that I like the features of and is available locally.

Back