Quiet your noisy HDD drives this one works!

Comixbooks

Fully [H]

I had these noisy drives which would start grinding after like 5-6 minutes. If you disable both the defrag as shown in the video along with the Windows 10 search your drives HDD drives won't make any noise worked like a charm on my X2 6TB Hitachi Helium drives. I don't even get those random bump noises any more my PC is really quiet I was afraid I would have to get x2 8TB SSDs or something I have 6.5 TB of SSD space. but it's a collection of 6 drives.

Last edited:
Yep. Turned off what used to be called Superfetch and it solved the issues on my wife's laptop.

I already had sysmain or formerly called superfetch but it was still making noises.
The above video shows two additional things to disable from the start.

Last edited:
Superfetch in 7 and 10 is a Low disk priority (it was super broken in vista because it ran as normal priority)

get a SSD for boot drive or the system will be busy for about 5-10 minutes after desktop load

$25 shipped for a 256gb ssd on deals nowadays. Upgrade! It'll hold all your apps plus windows and solve this instead if slowing down further to work around it.

I must be old fashioned (now get off my lawn you youngsters, with your automated cash registers and tubeless HiFi stereo phonograph systems) but I actually like the noise of a seeking hard disk I like the old ones the best my first PC was a used Dell OptiPlex XL-590 (4GB HDD I think) I got it for $50 (this was in 1998 or so) I got CD-ROM (yes CD-ROM!) I thought I would put it in myself I was wondering why the drive had "extra" pins on the flat cable (Yes I know why now I used the floppy drives cable!) Damn I was stupid but I guess we all have to learn about stuff at our own pace luckily I did not damage anything.

I built my first PC when I was 16 (2000) I got a 1GHZ AMD Athlon (that was a lot of $ then but I wanted the bragging rights of what was cool back then the frist 1GHZ chip) Abit KT7A In-Winn Q500A how I would love to have that case again.

I do however love the speed increase of modern SSD's

Attachments

• 57_bfee9fa6-1c65-4378-b38d-2a196aa3baac_grande.webp
    15 KB · Views: 0
  • 57_bfee9fa6-1c65-4378-b38d-2a196aa3baac_grande.jpg
    57_bfee9fa6-1c65-4378-b38d-2a196aa3baac_grande.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 0
Already have a SSD like 7 of them even if Win10 was not on the secondary HDD it was making noise I'm talking grinding not searching and bumps. The above video worked so good was able to use my HDD again for old ignored Steam games. This has been a issue for alot of people if you check out Microsoft's help page.

Or just install Crystaldisk Info and adjust the power settings of the HDD.

Back