Quiet/understated cases like the Corsair 550D - options?

grambo

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

Curious if anyone is making a better/newer version of something like the Corsair 550D? Mid-tower, sleek/understated looks (no RGB, no case window) focused on quiet operation. I looked at Corsair's website and didn't see much.

I've been running a Corsair Obsidian 550D since 2012 and am very happy with it. I like the understated industrial/matte black look and the sound dampening foam does a good job. I run 2x 120mm front intake, 1x 120mm bottom intake both of which have easily removable filters for cleaning and I run just 1x 120mm rear exhaust (I leave the top port closed). The positive pressure + filters means the inside of my case does not get dusty at all and no cat fur gets in.

Looking at doing a new build, would rather just sell everything I have now as a complete PC and buy new but having trouble justifying not just re-using the 550D. Front ports are USB 3.0 only, so having newer USB 3.1/Type C etc. for high speed external storage would be kinda nice but not a deal breaker.

Fractal Design Define series

Wow, Fractcal has really stepped up their game in the past 5 years while Corsair seems to have stagnated a bit? When I built this PC in 2012, Fractcal was OK but more budget focused and lesser build quality. Some of the higher end Define series look exactly like what I want. Debating if I really need Type C on the front panel, would be nice for sure.

Thanks

You might want to take a look at Be Quiet! case offerings.

A68V_131284641558252597ahbn5JPXni.jpg

You might want to take a look at Be Quiet! case offerings.

View attachment 172190

I check one of GN's videos on this design. The side panels seems really well thought. I have to say Fractal Design looks better but I have my doubts about build quality

I had the same dilemma earlier today

Wow, Fractcal has really stepped up their game in the past 5 years while Corsair seems to have stagnated a bit? When I built this PC in 2012, Fractcal was OK but more budget focused and lesser build quality. Some of the higher end Define series look exactly like what I want. Debating if I really need Type C on the front panel, would be nice for sure.

Thanks

I have the Define R5, and just picked up a define C for a new plex runner (though I'm going to end up reselling the C, it I think I'm just gonna dockerize everything for power/space reduction.
I really like the look of the new Define R6, but cant justify it :(.

They're all amazingly well done especially for clean builds, watercooling, and all super quiet due to the fans/sound dampening.

Please check out our often overlooked Kublai KL07, it has excellent thermal efficiency to noise ratio. At default configuration, it can rival many supposedly "airflow" focused mesh cases while maintaining much quieter sound profile. This means if you don't need the thermal performance that we give you from the factory, you can simply undervolt the included three 140mm fans to lower noise level further without cooking your components.

Back