Quiet, lowe power build?

Eocene

Limp Gawd
What to you guys recommend for a low power, quiet build?

I have a few computers but I want something I can leave on all the time. Probably gonna put nix on it but it needs to be able to play 1080p video. I thought about buying a R-po but it seems to be underpowered.

check the htpc in my sig. I still have not measured how much power it uses, but Im sure very little.
Plays 30 gb mkv files just fine in xbmc.

how's the current Celerons compared to a Core i3 anyways? I only have experience with i3, i5, i7, A4, A8, and the newest Atom. Every time I see the word "Celeron", I admit I balk and look elsewhere.

still somewhat neutered compared to i3, but the cores are still fairly powerful. More than enough to run HTPC workloads easily. Its really a case of "good enough" with HTPC in general. As long as you can playback and maybe do a small amount of transcoding, theres no need for anything more.

Celeron is fine as long as you aren't doing anything CPU intensive. With modern day videos which should be encoded for GPU decode, it doesn't really matter. The celeron for nearly all HTPC cases is basically sleeping. Only time I've seen one struggle was on a really badly encoded 1080p file.

Thanks. Honestly, I hate sluggish processors. Some of you guys would even say that an Atom is fine for these tasks too, but I just don't like the sluggishness of an Atom processor. Takes too long to run updates for one thing. After a quick look at CPU comparison sites, I see that an Ivy Bridge Celeron compares with a Sandy Bridge Core i3, so I guess that means the current Celeron's an excellent HTPC processor without the sluggishness of the Atom. Just need a dedicated GPU seeing how it doesn't have one built in like an i3 does.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I am hoping it will be a little future proof and be able to handle 4k content.

Thanks. Honestly, I hate sluggish processors. Some of you guys would even say that an Atom is fine for these tasks too, but I just don't like the sluggishness of an Atom processor. Takes too long to run updates for one thing. After a quick look at CPU comparison sites, I see that an Ivy Bridge Celeron compares with a Sandy Bridge Core i3, so I guess that means the current Celeron's an excellent HTPC processor without the sluggishness of the Atom. Just need a dedicated GPU seeing how it doesn't have one built in like an i3 does.
actually the celeron does have an IGP, no need for a dGPU

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i have an Intel Celeron NUC with a Silverstone aluminum case(passive cooling) and 4GB RAM. Plays 1080p videos perfectly without fan noise.

Back