Quiet keyboard?

PTRMAN

Limp Gawd
Hi all - I love my logitch G710+ keyboard but my wife says when I'm gaming it is WAY TOO LOUD. I do tend to hammer on the space key (trying to jump in TF2). I have the brown Cherry MX switches. Does anyone have a recommendation for a full-size keyboard (with numbers) that is quieter and won't break the bank?

O-rings and landing pads can help and I've heard good things about the new Cherry MX red silent switches but for the space bar the biggest consideration is the stabilizer, most will rattle quite loudly and some have a tendency to squeak.

O-rings and landing pads can help and I've heard good things about the new Cherry MX red silent switches but for the space bar the biggest consideration is the stabilizer, most will rattle quite loudly and some have a tendency to squeak.

I'd second Reds or Silent Reds where possible -- look at Ducky and Durgod -- along with thin O-rings -- but getting that key 'rattle' under control is going to be the challenge.

Right now, if you need silent, I'd recommend finding a quiet membrane keyboard. I haven't looked for those in years but I know they once existed...

Trying to find a silent mechanical option, if it's even possible, is likely to cost an arm and a leg in customizations. Most that market as 'silent' do so in terms of the noise made by MX Blue switches while the rest of the keyboard clatters and clanks away as you type.

I'd second Reds or Silent Reds where possible -- look at Ducky and Durgod -- along with thin O-rings -- but getting that key 'rattle' under control is going to be the challenge.

Right now, if you need silent, I'd recommend finding a quiet membrane keyboard. I haven't looked for those in years but I know they once existed...

Trying to find a silent mechanical option, if it's even possible, is likely to cost an arm and a leg in customizations. Most that market as 'silent' do so in terms of the noise made by MX Blue switches while the rest of the keyboard clatters and clanks away as you type.
I seem to remember reading reviews about keyboards that use other types of stabilizers that are less noisy but I don't recall anything beyond that.

The other option would be to remove the stabilizer and either replace the keycap with a shorter one or only hit it in the center, if they're used to years of using membrane KBs like me then that should already be habit.

I love my logitech illuminated keyboard. I'm the anomaly that dislikes mechanical keyboards because the noise is annoying to me. I'll take a silent membrane keyboard over a clackety one any day.

As others have said, get some linear switches use o-rings... don't hammer on your keys so hard. Reds, silent reds, speed silvers, or if you're feeling adventerous get some Tealio's. Those are all excellent linear options which when paired with o-rings, will be as quiet as a mech can really be.

I can also second the quality of durgod products. I own 5 + durgods, and it's the only brand of pre-built keyboards that I will buy anymore. Quality is astounding. Well, the logitech g815 with the romer-g tactile or clicky switches is also a nice option.... but not if you wanna be quiet.

Back