Quiet in mind: Zalman CNPS3100-Plus VS AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton

velusip

[H]ard|Gawd
Just trying to quiet this rig and the stock AMD HSF is the noisiest component... so here it goes:

Apparatus

Running Folding@Home for more than a day.

Data
  • stock HSF: Sixty-two degrees.
  • Zalman Flower: Seventy-three degrees.

These are 100% load temperatures 100% of the time.

Conclusion

Now, that's performance! My temperatures are so much higher, it must represent how much [h]arder my computer is. It must.

Seriously though, I'm yet to do some resetting, but for now even after installing the Zalman replacement HSF the noisest thing is still the HSF even with the resistor installed. Mind you, it is much quieter than it was, but at a cost of redlining constantly. (75 is a high threshhold for this particular processor, but 95 is the theoretical limit before instant damage)

Sure this proc is fast, and seems to outperform similar Athlon 64 procs [2800..3200], but it runs so damn hot it's hard shut it up! For this reason I do sort of regret going with SocketA. I should also note that despite I live in Canada, my house is about thirty to forty degrees. Can't help that living in the top floor of an A-frame with 3 computers running 24/7.

Follow up

After making sure the HSF was set "perfectly", no changes. Then after removing the resistor from the Zalman fan, temperatures went down to Sixty-two degrees at full load. Exactly the same as it were with the stock HSF and no, it is not quieter than the stock HSF (it might be by very little, but not noticable). All in all this Zalman HSF is a waste of money...

velusip said:
Sure this proc is fast, and seems to outperform similar Athlon 64 procs [2800..3200],
this is wrong in so many ways its not funny.

Did you follow the directions when putting the AS5 on? If the heatsink has direct contact with the chip its going to be extemely hotter. Sounds to me like a user error or you just bought a crappy hsf. Should have gotten a better zalman or just went with a better product.

I have the same HSFon a Barton 2500, however I switched the 90mm Fan with a 120mm my temps are 46C load and 40C idle. the only other fans are a 120mm on exaust in the PSU running at slow speeds and a Intake 120mm in the front running really slow also.

The system is quite quiet :D

Dew said:
Shoulda gone with the 7000 or the 7700

The 7000B (note the B) specifically yeah... kind of late now.

Destos said:
I have the same HSFon a Barton 2500, however I switched the 90mm Fan with a 120mm my temps are 46C load and 40C idle. the only other fans are a 120mm on exaust in the PSU running at slow speeds and a Intake 120mm in the front running really slow also. The system is quite quiet :D

Unfortunately I doubt all that would fit in my case as it's mATX.

And as for me putting the thing in wrong, as I mentioned I'm gonna try resetting it, but I can't imagine it helping much. I've done this hundreds of times with many HSF's and this one was probably the easiest installation.

ST|FFY said:
so, what is your question?

Didn't really have a question, it was more just general info that others might be able to use... however I do have a question now: Anyone else have a 2800+ that runs hot like this?

velusip said:
And as for me putting the thing in wrong, as I mentioned I'm gonna try resetting it, but I can't imagine it helping much. I've done this hundreds of times with many HSF's and this one was probably the easiest installation.
sounds like the hsf isn't doing its job then if it can't produce better temps over stock.

velusip said:
however I do have a question now: Anyone else have a 2800+ that runs hot like this?
I have a 2800+ barton in my second machine, OCed to 2.2 on stock hsf and it idles at 39c and under full load its around 52-55c. No where near your temps, the only thing I did is I used AS5. Have you compared the temps that sandra or any other prog gives you to what your bios is reading? Maybe its giving you bad readings.

AS5 can create higher tempatures than stock thermal paste before it sets in. Have you let the AS5 sit for a week or so? Temps should go down gradually. Maybe the fan isn't getting the power it should be, do you have a way to measure its RPM? Is it moving as fast as it is supposed to?

What kind of temps do you have in your case? In the surrounding room? If the ambient temperature is high, there isn't much you can do about high temperatures. What kind of case fans do you have? Maybe you should try to improve your case airflow if it isn't adequete.

I haven't been impressed with Zalman fans. I've spent hundreds trying out different fans, (Panaflos, Vantec Stealth, Nexus, etc.) and the absolute best I've come across are the 120mm aluminum EverCools. They are so smooth and can start up below 5V, and they don't make any audible motor humms that even the L1A Panaflos do.

Ditch the 92mm Zalman fan and buy a 120mm one, then slightly reduce the speed of it with whatever method you prefer, to get better cooling plus extremely quiet operation.

hardBBQ said:
I haven't been impressed with Zalman fans. I've spent hundreds trying out different fans, (Panaflos, Vantec Stealth, Nexus, etc.) and the absolute best I've come across are the 120mm aluminum EverCools. They are so smooth and can start up below 5V, and they don't make any audible motor humms that even the L1A Panaflos do.

Ditch the 92mm Zalman fan and buy a 120mm one, then slightly reduce the speed of it with whatever method you prefer, to get better cooling plus extremely quiet operation.

Thanks. All I want is a quiet computer.

Back