Quiet case for a stock i7 860 and 5870?

Jumpem

[H]ard|Gawd
Even with the six fans on low my Antec 1200 is starting to seem loud to me.

I want something with enough cooling to keep things in check at stock settings, but it doesn't need to be absolutely silent.

Would the Cooler Master Storm Sniper be quieter with it's low speed 200mm fans? Or do I need to switch to a "non-gamer" case with onle one or two fans?

Unless you're seriously into quiet computing, why not just disable a few fans (if those 6 fans really are the nosiest part of your system)? With no overclocking, you could easily get away with 3 or 4 fans, probably less. If that's still noisy, then replace the fans with more quiet ones and soft mount them. If all goes well, you should be complaining about the noise of your 5870 not your case fans.

Ummmm, next time take the time to reply to a person's post and exlain why his idea isn't good for you or w/e. Especially considering that person is the only person to post in your thread so far.

besides his idea sounds solid so far
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Avoid cases with mesh side panels or front. Plus those larger 200mm+ fans when undervolted make a fairly loud growling sound. I'd stick to a case with just 120mm fans.

Avoid cases with mesh side panels or front.
Yep, seeing to inside of the case through holes means sound getting out with no chance for anything which could muffle it. Also HDDs without soft mounting are another noise source.

Antec's P-serie is pretty much only case serie with good noise containing/muffling design in nearly every area... P193 is even Antec's only E-ATX case and as such lot more spacious for long graphics card than Hundred serie bling blings... As very dubious fashion gimmick design choise side fan just obstructs heatsinks and its hole leaks out noise from CPU/GPU area so for spacious case I would see others with at least as good potential because while all other cases use single layer metal sheets (which can't muffle airborne noise as well as multilayer construction) as panels that aspect can be mitigated easily by mass damping.

And agree about fans, as common standard size 120mm has plenty of acoustically good choises available (Antec Tricool isn't one of those) while the more rare the size the less chances there are for acoustically good fans and increase of rotating mass surely causes its own problems for making quiet bearing.

I agree with ET and the Antec P series. Very quiet even using their stock fans set to low. The P183 should be more than enough to contain your system (an RIIE can squeeze into my P180) except that you may need to remove the upper hard drive cage to fit the 5870. You'll have to check the alignment of where the PCIe slot on your mobo is to make sure that the card doesn't hit the 5.25 rack though.

+1, agree with ET and punkrockpolak about the Antec P series. I have the P182 for my system and its great. I recommend you move the lower chamber fan to the middle HDD cage so that you get cool air blowing directly on your vga card and motherboard.

Would a 5870 crossfire fit into a p183? Which motherboard has good aligment of PCIe slots for this case?

Unless you're seriously into quiet computing, why not just disable a few fans (if those 6 fans really are the nosiest part of your system)? With no overclocking, you could easily get away with 3 or 4 fans, probably less. If that's still noisy, then replace the fans with more quiet ones and soft mount them. If all goes well, you should be complaining about the noise of your 5870 not your case fans.

I just think it would be strange to have a setup at stock speeds in that type of case. I'm wondering if one of the newer cases with larg low rpm 200-230mm fans would be quieter.

Yep, seeing to inside of the case through holes means sound getting out with no chance for anything which could muffle it.

Nothing inside the case makes any noise that bothers me. I'm pretty positve what is annoying me is the three 120mm fans right at the front of the case. Maybe 18-24" away from my ears.

Nothing inside the case makes any noise that bothers me. I'm pretty positve what is annoying me is the three 120mm fans right at the front of the case. Maybe 18-24" away from my ears.
Direct noise escape path problem applies also to intake fans.

I like my Lian Li PC-A05 but I won't be willing to say that it's the quietest case out there. I loaded it up with Noctuas though.

I went with a Silverstone RV-02 for my current build (happens to be an i7-860 OC'ed to 3.67, HD 5870) after having my last in a P180, and the new rig is actually a good deal quieter o_O. I leave the bottom fans on low, as turning them to high doesn't seem to make a big difference for this configuration... On high, the noise creeps up towards what I was getting with the P180.
I should clarify, I'm not down on the P180, probably my favorite case that I've used (gets me nostalgic, had an 8800GTX along with it... lasted me a long time :) ). This is just a case of a ton of airflow allowing me to turn fans down vs. a case designed for quiet but without the same kind of airflow (specifically over the video card).

I just rebuilt my rig into a Silverstone RV-02.. this is an amazing case... it is really quiet.. wonderful temps..very attractive looking.. this is the first time I haven't had wires running all over the place inside in plain sight.. I love all of the holes to hide the wires and the SSD mounting bracket is handy.

I got it because my desktop form factor silverstone didn't have enough room for a 5870..

my 4870 now idles @ 54C with the fanspeed set to 26%.. which is a huge drop from where it used to be.

Antec P193. I love those cases because they are really really quiet, but they are kinda packed. I really recommend one because they are really quiet. I used to have a p182 with like 6-7 fans plus my 8800gt with zerotherm fan and it stayed silent.

Back