Quiet air cooling for an overclocked Socket A?

KingPariah777

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, its that time of year again...time for me to look at my old machine and try to make it last until I cave in and buy a laptop.

Right now I have an old Coolermaster Aero 7+ on my CPU, and this mofo is LOUD and EMBARASSING.

All you can hear is that nasty thing whining away, and I feel its a matter of time before it dies.

Here is what I am seeing on Newegg...would you all take a look and give me a suggestion on something quiet, but strong enough to cool a 2500+ that is jacked up to 3200+ (2.2 mhz)?

Let me know what you think:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2000110062+1294418667+1057708562&Subcategory=62&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

Not to hijack the thread, but I've got a Barton 2800+ running at stock speeds with an Aero 7 Lite cooler, and I'm having one hell of a time trying to keep this thing cool. CPU is idle now, and its creeping up from ~109 at boot, to 118 (48c) now. Ambient is ~80F. I might make my own thread, but I'm wondering how far above ambient your oc'd barton is running with that cooler at idle?

Again, sorry for the hijack.

vfrex said:
Not to hijack the thread, but I've got a Barton 2800+ running at stock speeds with an Aero 7 Lite cooler, and I'm having one hell of a time trying to keep this thing cool. CPU is idle now, and its creeping up from ~109 at boot, to 118 (48c) now. Ambient is ~80F. I might make my own thread, but I'm wondering how far above ambient your oc'd barton is running with that cooler at idle?

Again, sorry for the hijack.

Get your own thread. Seriously. Along with a real cooler.

OP: SI-97 is a beautiful thing. I had three different mobile 2600s under there at 2.5GHz with a panaflo 90mm low speed. One of the best socket A sinks ever. HUGE but great.

Go for the Thermalright. If you want quiet you're going to need a bigger heatsink and fan, don't expect a 60mm to be quiet, you want >=92mm. And a lot of the cheap stuff you find on newegg work nice and quiet for stock, but when you oc the temps skyrocket, Don't know about the pricier stuff but I know Thermalright works.

EDIT:
Ok I just reread your post and saw only 2.2ghz... what's your vcore? In that case a cheap quiet one might do.

If you could find some way to mount a ninja cools well.

otherwise SI-97 is a good choice.

Back