Quiet 48-port switch?

McTurkey

Limp Gawd
Any recommendations for a quiet 48-port managed gigabit switch? Need something for the home/lab. I'm fine with used, would prefer to keep it under $250. Only thing I've found so far is the Force10 S50, but I'm guessing it's probably pretty loud. Anyone have experience with those?

I had played around with a Force10 switch at one point and they are just as loud as a normal Cisco switch. Not unbearable but depending on where you have the switch located, it may get annoying after a while.

What level of management? The only truly quiet switches are fanless IMO and they only come in 24 port flavours afaik

I would recommend a cisco small business series or a netgear gs748t...used of course.

The netgears are not that bad at all almsot fully managed all gig ports and are mega quiet.

if 10/100 is ok the cisco switches arent bad, i have a 3500 series and I think a 2950 series i use here

I have one in my rack I wouldn't want one in my bedroom. My 3745 is louder but the Force10 has those small fans and you know how those are.

I have one in my rack I wouldn't want one in my bedroom. My 3745 is louder but the Force10 has those small fans and you know how those are.

So make them quiet, such a easy thing to do, and takes about 5 min, NOT EVEN!

I can't speak for their noise, but Force10 products are fantastic. I've had a lot of experience with the S55 and they are great switches.

Yeah, I'm not opposed to changing out fans if I need to since this will be my home office running 24/7. I can deal with the noise from my Cisco lab since that's not on all the time, but need this to be quiet. I'll probably be needing to support some Force10 stuff in the next year or so from the looks of things, so having firsthand experience with it would be nice.

I do need gigabit and vlans, as this will be replacing a Zyxel 16 port for the home network, as well as lab duty.

Yeah, I'm not opposed to changing out fans if I need to since this will be my home office running 24/7. I can deal with the noise from my Cisco lab since that's not on all the time, but need this to be quiet. I'll probably be needing to support some Force10 stuff in the next year or so from the looks of things, so having firsthand experience with it would be nice.

I do need gigabit and vlans, as this will be replacing a Zyxel 16 port for the home network, as well as lab duty.

add this to your fans,

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/x2-Motherboa...ltDomain_0&hash=item19d5e85467#ht_1544wt_1025

RC-56.jpg

Plug it in, poof done !

The Force10 switches Ive used are variable speed controlled by the firmware. Its possible that the resistor trick may set an error light for the fan.

The Force10 switches Ive used are variable speed controlled by the firmware. Its possible that the resistor trick may set an error light for the fan.

doubt it, but non the less it's worth a shot. I've replace lots of fans AND made TONS of equipment quiet.. ( for home use )

As long as the Force10 switch uses that type of fan connection, that'd work - the Cisco gear I have uses a different style (and 24V fans, too).

I've been unable to find a teardown of those switches, but from the online manuals it does look like there are 6 fans on the side. I suspect this may just be a situation where I have to buy it and then figure it out (yay).

I did see a Netgear GS748TS on eBay for fairly cheap, though. Any thoughts on that vs. the Force10 S50?

As long as the Force10 switch uses that type of fan connection, that'd work - the Cisco gear I have uses a different style (and 24V fans, too).

I've been unable to find a teardown of those switches, but from the online manuals it does look like there are 6 fans on the side. I suspect this may just be a situation where I have to buy it and then figure it out (yay).

I did see a Netgear GS748TS on eBay for fairly cheap, though. Any thoughts on that vs. the Force10 S50?

they use 12V in some pieces, like my switch that's beside me it uses a 12V yes ive changed that too, and their connector is a 2 pin witch this resistor ( voltage drop device ) works with.

take it apart post some pics :)

The S50 runs FTOS which is a full managed firmware, pretty similiar to cisco IOS infact.

IMO Force10 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Netgear all day long.

doubt it, but non the less it's worth a shot. I've replace lots of fans AND made TONS of equipment quiet.. ( for home use )

How many of them had active fan monitoring? It may be worthwhile for me to bust open my Powerconnect and try a resistor if it doesn't cause issues with the monitoring. Pretty much all 3-wire fans have a RPM sensor so that's why I was curious.

How many of them had active fan monitoring? It may be worthwhile for me to bust open my Powerconnect and try a resistor if it doesn't cause issues with the monitoring. Pretty much all 3-wire fans have a RPM sensor so that's why I was curious.

Did it toa powerconnect 5224 a few months back.. and a Sonicwall nsa2400 and many other cisco loud switches. Few supermicro units etc etc list goes on.

Yup those fan's can be slowed down, since it's a cross flow should be easy to keep cool no problemo.

Back