Quicken Loans Founder Launching Rocket Fiber In Downtown Detroit

HardOCP News

[H] News
The founder of Quicken Loans says he is bringing an advanced fiber optic network to downtown Detroit that is as "fast as Google or faster."

Gilbert, founder and chairman of Quicken Loans and Rock Ventures, said this weekend he has formed a new "community investment initiative" called Rocket Fiber LLC to provide faster Internet connections in downtown Detroit. The service will be up to 100 times faster than the current residential average, Gilbert said in a statement.

why put fiber in slums ?

lol

Ever been to Detroit? If so you might realize that it's actually rather nice. Sure, racism and corporate greed have destroyed a lot of what Detroit used to be, but as someone who grew up and worked in the area, it's not anywhere near as bad as the press and your buddies would lead you to believe. There's a lot of good and hardworking people living in those "slums", who would only benefit from infrastructure improvements and any kind of financial injections possible.

Ever been to Detroit? If so you might realize that it's actually rather nice. Sure, racism and corporate greed have destroyed a lot of what Detroit used to be, but as someone who grew up and worked in the area, it's not anywhere near as bad as the press and your buddies would lead you to believe. There's a lot of good and hardworking people living in those "slums", who would only benefit from infrastructure improvements and any kind of financial injections possible.

There are shitty areas to any major metropolitan area, however most of them don't allow you to buy a house for year's salary working at McDonalds

I hope he does a better job running that then his own company.

I cry every time I seeone come with an offer from them ... CRY.

Is there anyone in Detroit who can afford broadband internet?

Maybe internet is cheaper than cars, so while they cannot afford the cars they used to make they might be able to swing internet.

lol dude you got to be kidding I have been to Detroit many times I live in the middle of the state. Many people I take through the first time are actually dumb founded at how it actually is as bad or worse than it is proclaimed to be. Detroit is a disaster. There are a lot of people who aren't working in the slums is what you meant to say. The people of Detroit need to hear it and accept it for what it really is so they can internally think hard about how bad they have shit on their own porch. You drive through Detroit you cannot believe how a city could fall so far. During noon rush hour the streets were empty. There are only a few very small areas in Detroit where people are trying to maintain something reminiscent of a decent city. The thing that is mind boggling to me is the absolutely lack of any pride in a home. The people of Detroit care not one single shit for their homes. They let them fall into utter disrepair, a mowed lawn in many areas is unusual. How can people who don't even have a damn sliver of pride in the most central thing to their life have any pride in work or anything else? The sad thing is many aren't even working, you have nothing to do all day pull the grass with your hands if you have to na its way better to just sit on your porch and do nothing but hope it doesn't cave in on your head because you haven't patched the shingles in 40 years.

I wonder how long it'll take until someone tries to pawn it. Surely, that internet speed should be able to fetch a few dollars.

Mr. Gilbert is for a long time buying up parts of downtown. This is just to attract small businesses and start-ups with fiber internet services, and a very wise move by Dan Gilbert. He is adding value to the downtown area other than real estate.

I work and live in Detroit with cat5e speed connect to the interwebs. while Detroit certainly has more bad neighborhoods than good; they're are great neighborhoods in Detroit and a tenth of our population are millionaires. Detroit is a disaster it has reached it's bottom economically but it's situated in a very strategic location, cheap, great food and beers and heavily depopulated. therefore it's a great investment opportunity.

Crock of shit cliches. The city became a hole long before the core businesses were ever in trouble. And Hyper-sensitivity to Racism killed the city. The white residents thought it would be a good idea to elect a Black Mayor in hopes to assuage any racial strife. Problem he was the most corrupt SOB that basically installed some kind of kickback or scam on everything scaring off whatever few businesses that didn't get hurt when the auto companies started to hurt. And because of racial hyper-sensitivity, the State government was afraid to step in and rid of him like any other state would have done. The feds did more to try to remove him than the State but didn't really have the authority and jurisdiction to go after most of what he was doing.

It is a part of the elites social planning for us low-bies. Soon google will provide us with driverless cars and someone else (or perhaps google) provides the wifi and we all just drone around living lives of "quiet desperation". - HDT

why put fiber in slums ?

lol

So that they won't stay slums?

Its not intended for the people who live there now, it's intended for the people they are trying to attract.

Once companies find out they can get super cheap internet, super cheap rent, and super cheap labor, they will flood into Detroit. In other parts of the country, just giving tax breaks is enough to attract new data centers, imagine what cheap land would bring.

Las Vegas only exists because it happens to have extremely cheap power. If it wasn't for Hoover Dam, there would be no Las Vegas. This fiber project could have that effect on Detroit as well.

Or it could just be a giant scam to get tax dollars.

Dan Gilbert has been doing a crapload of work to Detroit. granted it is mostly the downtown area, but you have to start somewhere. He is buying buildings and renovating them. Some to their historic glory.

Back