Quicken 2015 causes screen flicker and log out (motherboard problem?)

carrierPigeon

Limp Gawd
Computer: Pavilion A6040n (Dual core, 2GB, on board video)
Windows 8.1 (32-bit) Embedded Industry Pro

I was trying to run Quicken 2015 on my computer and the screen would flicker (go totally black for short moments) and then Windows would log out. When I log back in, any program that I had opened would be closed.

On a whim, I added a video card to see if that would fix the problem. That appears to have fixed the problem.

Is there anything that we can conclude about the problem (hardware/ software/ what specifically)? I was thinking either motherboard or ram (once graphics card is installed, we are no longer using the ram as video ram).
I really just put the video card in for this testing and don't want to keep it in that computer.

The graphics card is MSI Radeon R7 240

Er, is it possible that it's a coincidence that Quicken was causing the issue? I can't think of anything specific to Quicken that would cause a problem, but if the onboard graphics were having a problem in general then obviously all might be explained.

could just be the chipset/igp overheating, or or it's possible that quicken is using some form of hardware acceleration that the 945g IGP doesn't like. that's been the one thing i've noticed over the years that those old intel IGP's absolutely hate. especially when applications force enable it by default even if the gpu/igp doesn't support it.

Back