Quick Question

SkinnyBones

Limp Gawd
I ordered this cable
from tigerdirect and i notice it says patch cable. Would this be what i am looking for to connect my computer to my router to get the internet?

Yes, except its 100 feet long. Do you really need such a long cable?

there is a limit to how long ethernet cables can be but 100ft is well under that limit so you should be fine there.

and yes patch cable is correct; you wouldnt want to use crossover but it doesn't matter much with most new nics and switches.

The general rule is crossover is for connecting devices that are the same(computer to computer or switch to switch) and a patch cable connects devices that are different(computer to switch).

i'm just connecting the cable from router-switch so i can get all my computers in my room with the internet becuase not all my computers have wireless and ones that do have wireless i'm going to wire them becuase wireless still isn't as fast as wired.

Isn't it more like DTE to DCE is patch but DCE to DCE is crossover? Ah, who cares, lol. Autosensing MDI-X is a life/time saver.

DragonNOA1 said:
Isn't it more like DTE to DCE is patch but DCE to DCE is crossover? Ah, who cares, lol. Autosensing MDI-X is a life/time saver.

Yes, but the general rule that Protoform-X said is easier to remember and understand; most of the newbies here have never heard of DTE or DCE.

Back