Quick Question

Grim Incarnation

Weaksauce
if I were to buy a multiprocessor mobo, lets say a 4 socket mobo, could I use it with only 1 or 2 out of the 4 sockets used? Just wondering, thanx a bunch in advance

i dont know for sure about the 4way opteron setups, bit i kinow you can do this find in the xeon setups, some require a terminator in the socket/slot or have a jumper next to them to turn off/on the socket. but keep in mind you can not use AMD MP's in a 4 way setup, and the only current opterons that work in 4 way are the 8xx and they are very expensive, it might be cheaper to get 2 2way setups then one 4 way setup in the opteron world. on the xeon side, you need xeon MP not xeon DP and they are very costly verses the normal xeons (aka DP) unless you are looking at a p3 xeon setup, but a dual 2.8ghz xeon dp will out power, and out perform, and use less energy then a 4way p3 setup in just about every test you would want to throw at it. hope this helps.

No only are 4-way boards are expensive, but they're very rare. Chance are that you'd see 4-way boards (for Xeons and Opterons) being part of a racked server, as the boards are designed to be that kind of application, and no sold as 'retail' parts.

Tyan makes a few, but I have yet to see any for sale (using pricewatch). I would be guessing $1000+ for the board itself if you can find it.

It would kick ass if you could afford it though, if for nothing else than showing it off.

I was using 4 procs as an example, mostly because it is in the middle of a 2 socket + 8 socket mobo

Thanx for the insight though, I really appreciate it

Right when the opterons came out, I found a quad tyan board for sale at $1500. I haven't seen once since.

Good to know they are getting affordable ;).

Brad4321 said:
Right when the opterons came out, I found a quad tyan board for sale at $1500. I haven't seen once since.

Good to know they are getting affordable ;).
Although the boards are coming down in price perhaps, as mentioned the chips are priced a wee bit higher.
A quick search on XeonMP's turns up prices on the order of $4,000 (US) per CPU for 2.8Ghz

100000.gif
30000.gif
250.gif
50.gif

If I got my math right :)[/QUOTE]

defakto said:
You can get a 2.5 ghz xeon mp for $2100
Give it up man... Xeon 2.5GHz will get walked all over by even the slowest Opteron! All Xeon MP are 400MHz FSB parts and the fastest Xeon MP is only 3.0GHz. Given that Xeons with large caches (1MB) fast FSB (800MHz) will have to run at least 1GHz faster than the Opteron to get to the same level of performance of the AMD part, a quad Xeon just plain doesn't make sense financially and technologically speaking.

defakto said:
You can get a 2.5 ghz xeon mp for $2100
Which is just about the price you'd pay at Monarch for a dual Xeon 1Mb 3Ghz m/b combo.
I'm a firm believer in "the more CPU's the better", but also in getting the best bang for the buck.

For a thread that starts off :
if I were to buy a multiprocessor mobo, lets say a 4 socket mobo, could I use it with only 1 or 2 out of the 4 sockets used? Just wondering, thanx a bunch in advance
I was thinking that Grim Incarnation was trying to save $$ by not populating the board.

Along these lines - has anyone seen any reviews of "dual core" CPUs yet ? I though thye were due out next year.
100000.gif
30000.gif
250.gif
50.gif

If I got my math right :)

Back