2x512 or 1x1gb?

• 2x512

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • 1x1gb

Votes: 22 62.9%

• Total voters

JordanCL

[H]ard|Gawd
My girlfriend is getting ready to order a MacBook Pro. I think she should downgrade the 'stock' 1x1gb to the optional 2x512mb and save $100. Her dad wants her to spend the extra $100 for easy upgrading later. Her dad trusts and values my opinion, but has basically said "thanks but no thanks" since he has no one else telling him the same thing and "why would apple charge $100 more for a useless upgrade?"

I told her I think that is foolish to keep the 1x1gb for the following reasons:

1) She does basic chatting and websurfing. I dont think she will ever need more than 1GB. Spending money for future upgrade ease if you wont need to upgrade is foolish.
2) No dual channel. 1x1GB can not take advantage of dual channel memory controllers. Therefore, the 2x512MB will actually be slightly FASTER than the 1x1GB (how accurate is this?)
3) Upgrade costs. A single 1GB stick will cost about $80. To get to 2GB starting witha single 1GB stick will cost her the $100 to upgrade to the original 1GB + the $80 to buy a second stick.

The 2x512MB option: It will cost $160 for 2x1GB sticks. vs the $180 by starting with 1GB. $20 savings, no big deal. However, the 2x512MB can turn around and be sold for ~$50. Now it's a $70 savings.
So if she doesn't upgrade, she will get dual channel with the 2x512MB, and save $100.
If she does upgrade from the 2x512MB she will save $20, Plus an additional monies from resale of the 2x512MB if she decides to sell them.

4)Personal Grievance: she had a toshiba. It basically broke. She brought it to CompUSA who reported it had "160 viruses on it" and then later reported that it actually had hundreds more than that. So her rationale is "Macs dont get viruses!" Ugh. Okay, play an extra $1000 for a white case with an apple on it, and antivirus. Or save $1000 and get a Dell or something and use a REAL ANTIVIRUS and not rely on AOL Antivirus. /rant 0

Opinions? Besides "it will be too much work to take them out, install different ones, and sell them, etc." b/c im going to do that for her.

Thanks!

Edits made to correct confusion. Also, my 2x512MB 533mhz went for ~$50. 2x512MB of 667 will sell for even more.

1GB should be the bare minimum you'd consider for the new Intel Macs. If she plans on running anything that uses Rosetta on a regular basis (Microsoft Office, Photoshop, etc.) she will want to move to 1.5-2GB. The "oh, she'll never use more than 1GB" is a foolish assumption. Macs, especially the Intel ones, are RAM-hungry and the best way to ensure good performance is to keep them well-fed.

Here's what I'd do:
Buy the Macbook with the default 2x256MB configuration and immediately upgrade one stick to 1GB for a total of 1.25GB. When funds and requirements allow, swap the other stick out for 2GB. It'll cost way less than Apple's upgrades and offer you more flexibility as well as more RAM to begin with (1.25GB as opposed to the 1GB in your suggestions).

Usually running dual channel isn't very crucial, but in the case of the MacBook it is better to do so since the memory is shared with the integrated graphics. Will she notice the overall difference between running DC and SC? Most likely not. I would recommend the path CEpeep gave. Buy the the 2x256 base and get the 1gb SODIMM off of Newegg or any other etailer for $80. Stick it in the MacBook for a total of 1.25 gigs of ram.

as already memtioned, buy the ram separatly because Apple charges way too much for ram. Also i would recommend the 1GB of RAM for the intel macs for now because not all programs are universal yet and need the hungry Rosetta to run

she will be getting a macbook pro. The base option is still 512MB single stick. She's getting the second model (god knows why.. she doens't need a 2.16 dual core).

The discussion is really only:

buy 2x512mb and maybe sell them and upgrade to 2x1gb at a later date

or

buy 1x1gb for the extra $100 and maybe buy another 1Gb later.

The factors are cost, as it is cheaper to do the 2x512mb route, even if she doesn't resell the sticks. A single 1gb stick does NOT cost $100. I think it's better to buy the 2x512 and save $100. 2x1gb will cost about $150 shipped, that way minus whatever the sticks sell for. 2x1gb the other way will cost 100+~$80 for a second stick totaling $180, without anything to sell. Therefore, i think the 2x512 is a better route, not to mention the dual channel issue if she doesn't upgrade.

JordanCL said:
she will be getting a macbook pro. The base option is still 512MB single stick. She's getting the second model (god knows why.. she doens't need a 2.16 dual core).

Huh, I thought the 2.16GHz MBP came with a single 1GB stick?

Tomahawk said:
Huh, I thought the 2.16GHz MBP came with a single 1GB stick?

That is what it says in the shop. maybe he is getting is confused since he was talking about a MacBook and now is talking about a MBP.

Please recap for us:
1. Which model MBP or MacBook?
2. If 1. is done, which one of the three offered

Than we can help you

Biest said:
That is what it says in the shop. maybe he is getting is confused since he was talking about a MacBook and now is talking about a MBP.

Please recap for us:
1. Which model MBP or MacBook?
2. If 1. is done, which one of the three offered

Than we can help you

QFT. I thought he was talking about a regular MacBook to begin with, and now I'm still confused about what he's talking about.

why are you people opting for 1gb?

you can get 2x1gb for 140 and you'd still have 2x512s

upgrading for 100 + new ram 70 , you'll need 170 for the second option, not to mention you'll not have the rams for resale

I think it's not even worth asking, just get the 2x512, it will be faster too, until she gets 2x1s

pinktank said:
why are you people opting for 1gb?

you can get 2x1gb for 140 and you'd still have 2x512s

upgrading for 100 + new ram 70 , you'll need 170 for the second option, not to mention you'll not have the rams for resale

I think it's not even worth asking, just get the 2x512, it will be faster too, until she gets 2x1s

the problem is that he talking about a MacBook in his first post so a 2x512MB would be okay, but then he was talking about the MBP and the 2.16Ghz version, which comes stock with a gig of RAM (1x1GB), so there would be no point in an upgrade

Im talking the second option MBP. It does come with 1x1gb, however, it gives you the option to "downgrade" to 2x512MB and they subtract $100. Sorry for the confusion. I can't stand macs, didn't realize there was a MB and a MBP. I called it a MB Duo to start. Ohhhh well. So instead of 'her dad wants her to upgrade to 1x1GB' i guess i should have said "i think she should downgrade to 2x512mb and save $100, but her dad wants her to keep the original configuration"

FLAME ON!

In that case save the 100 bucks and downgrade. She can pick up a 2x1gb later down the road for $140-160US or even less than that.

For what she is doing she definitely does not need 2 gigs.

From what i ahve read she will never need 2GB of RAM or anything above 1 GB (is she an art student?). Downgrade it to 2x512MB to save the money.
Why do you hate Macs? Cause they work?

Biest said:
From what i ahve read she will never need 2GB of RAM or anything above 1 GB (is she an art student?). Downgrade it to 2x512MB to save the money.
Why do you hate Macs? Cause they work?
Probably money issues and unfamiliarity with OSX as well as how the computer retail market works.
As for art students needing mac's, definatly go with 2GB ram...hell, go with 2GB ram just incase YOU have to use it...heh...my g/f has a G4 powerbook and i couldnt stand it at 2x256 so i bought her ram for her b-day....hehe

Octave said:
Probably money issues and unfamiliarity with OSX as well as how the computer retail market works.
As for art students needing mac's, definatly go with 2GB ram...hell, go with 2GB ram just incase YOU have to use it...heh...my g/f has a G4 powerbook and i couldnt stand it at 2x256 so i bought her ram for her b-day....hehe

you gave your g/f RAM for her bday... interesting option :D

Hey now! Your personal grievance is false! The MBP comes in an aluminum case, not white! :p

Octave said:

Isnt that sorta like buying your gf a bowling ball for her birthday, one that you will be using...

Octave said:

Unfamiliarity with how the computer retail market works? I don't follow you.

I feel that I don't get the "bang for my buck" by going mac. I bought a e1705 with one of those super coupons loaded for $1300, then spent $140 to put 2GB in it. What mac can you get for $1500 or hell even $2000 that comes anywhere near what my little (big) dell can push?

Being a 7 year mac owner prior to buying my first laptop (a dell I8200, that thing was a beast too) I would not be so quick to judge me as being "unfamiliar" with the MacOS's. I am familiar with it, but as someone who considers themselves computer knowledgeble, the Mac Interface just seems too polished for me. I loved the older OSes, but even as Macs got to 9.x i started to get turned off by it. It seemed too easy, or idiot proof. I understand why they went that route, especially with one of their main selling points being ease and security, but as a long time user it just made me sick a little bit. Jaguar came out and I wanted to throw up. At that point I couldn't have been happier with my switch to a dell laptop. I am not one of those people who have been windows fed my entire life, i was always that one kid in school defending macs, and i know my problems with the OS are things that most people love. THats why i don't say "MACS SUCK!" without any rationale as most people do.

Lengthyyyyyyy

Hope that helps explain my viewpoint!

JordanCL said:

I feel that I don't get the "bang for my buck" by going mac. I bought a e1705 with one of those super coupons loaded for $1300, then spent $140 to put 2GB in it. What mac can you get for $1500 or hell even $2000 that comes anywhere near what my little (big) dell can push?

Being a 7 year mac owner prior to buying my first laptop (a dell I8200, that thing was a beast too) I would not be so quick to judge me as being "unfamiliar" with the MacOS's. I am familiar with it, but as someone who considers themselves computer knowledgeble, the Mac Interface just seems too polished for me. I loved the older OSes, but even as Macs got to 9.x i started to get turned off by it. It seemed too easy, or idiot proof. I understand why they went that route, especially with one of their main selling points being ease and security, but as a long time user it just made me sick a little bit. Jaguar came out and I wanted to throw up. At that point I couldn't have been happier with my switch to a dell laptop. I am not one of those people who have been windows fed my entire life, i was always that one kid in school defending macs, and i know my problems with the OS are things that most people love. THats why i don't say "MACS SUCK!" without any rationale as most people do.

Lengthyyyyyyy

I worked with Macs and supported Mac labs using Performas and LCIIs way back when, and had the displeasure of using Blue and White Powermacs on OS 9.whatever. I never understood why anyone would want a Mac until OSX came out, but playing around with them at the Apple stores lately, OSX, especially the most recent point releases, it is just a beautiful thing.

You can do it the 'idiot proof' way, but you also have a ton of control over the OS, especially if you know some basic Linux (well, BSD I guess) stuff.

Yes, you can get more powerful hardware for your money with a Dell, and I am a big supporter of Dell laptops and displays for the deals you can get, but at the same time, having and OS that just doesn't crash, is nearly immune to viruses, has far less spyware to deal with, and has a very intuitive interface is very appealing. At this point the only thing I don't like about Apple is how much they push iTunes. Personally, I hate iTunes, but everything else seems pretty sweet.

sin01 said:
Isnt that sorta like buying your gf a bowling ball for her birthday, one that you will be using...
Not really...she needs it. She's a professional illustrator/graphic designer both doing a lot of freelance stuff and working for a company that designs and sells stuff to target. So she uses the whole lineup of adobe products allllllllllllllllll the time. And anyone who has used adobe products knows why i would give my g/f ram for her b-day.

JordanCL said:

Lengthyyyyyyy

There are a lot of ways to have utter control over a mac. If you dont like the user interface get a theme. One reason i like macs now (ive been windows/linux all my life till my g/f came around) is the use of the program quicksilver. Seriously, that should come standard on a mac. It gives the feeling of command line sorta which i enjoy with the nice interface of the macosx. I do think macosx is much better looking than it used to be by far, and although i respect your opinion, i dont see how you could want to look at something crappy versus something pretty when you can get the same functionality out of it. If you still have access to a mac with osx, install quicksilver or watch a quicksilver tutorial movie and you'll see what im talking about, as i dont think the read through tutorials do it any justice on their site.
As far as bang for the buck....
e1705
* Height: 1.6 inch
* Width: 15.5 inches
* Depth: 11.3 inches
* Weight: 7.611 (with 6 cell battery)
* 256MB ATI MOBILITYTM RADEON® x1400 HyperMemoryTM
17-inch MacBook Pro
* Height: 1.0 inch (2.59 cm)
* Width: 15.4 inches (39.2 cm)
* Depth: 10.4 inches (26.5 cm)
* Weight: 6.8 pounds (3.1 kg) with battery and optical drive installed
* ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics processor, dual link DVI support, 256MB GDDR3
What do you think your paying for when you buy a mac over the e1705? The thing comes in when you dont care about differences (which there are more than i listed) but thats a pretty amazing package that the 17in macbookpro is.
Personally, i think the 15in macbookpro is the best value of all of them (with the x1600 and everything, small, light...ect ect) and with education discount or something its really quite good. You just cant get a laptop like it anywhere else. And dont dare call me a fan -boy because i dont even own a mac....i just want to....heh :D

my e1705 has 2GB 667Mhz ram, the 2.0 dual core, the 256MB 7800 Go, and is 17inch viewable widescreen. Maybe you meant that in 15.4 inches wide, as 17inch diaganol.

1gb because 2 will be needed soon and if you dont plan on upgrading anytime soon 2x512 if dual channel is supported

JordanCL said:
my e1705 has 2GB 667Mhz ram, the 2.0 dual core, the 256MB 7800 Go, and is 17inch viewable widescreen. Maybe you meant that in 15.4 inches wide, as 17inch diaganol.
Those dimensions arent diagonal dimensions, they are HxWxD..ect.
draw a triangle if you fell like it and solve for the hypot.....ok nevermind too much for for you aparently...

Back