Quick question, wireless networking

smut

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay i'm new to wireless and I want to upgrade my wired network.

All I need is a wireless router and a wireless USB adaptor or a wireless PCI adaptor correcT? If not, please correct me!
Thanks.

Yup that should do it.
or
If you already have a wired router, then you can also opt to attach a access point for your wireless needs.

Hey whats better? a wireless USB adaptor or a wireless PCI adaptor? pros and cons? I see that the PCI is more expensive the the USB adaptor but other then that?

If you have an existing wired router and want to keep it, get a wireless access point.

If your current wired router is old, replace it with a wireless router.

USB versus PCI...depends. Some USB NICs have a cable to an external antenna you can place up high somewhere, like your desktop, a shelf, etc, instead of down low on the floor where your tower might be (higher means better reception). There are a couple of PCI NICs that do that too.

well it's now down to only one PC on the network now (besides my laptop which I havent used much lately, and if I start using it again i'll just get another adaptor) But the main pc and the router will be in the same room a few feet apart actually, just sick of the wire across the floor.

I think i'll just grab the USB adaptor and see how that works. I can always give the usb to the laptop if it dont work out and get a PCI for the main pC which Im using now.

The USB ones are nice simply because you can unplug them and plug them into another machine to get it on your network, quick and easy.

Yeah thats what I liked about it, easy and quick to install. Also cheaper

Can you mix and match brands? I got a Belkin USB adaptor today (impulse purchase lol), can I use it with any brand router as long as its the same standard?
Belkin routers are expensive from what I see and I can get a diff. brand router for cheap because its on sale on outpost.

And also how does my cable modem hook up to the wireless router? or can I hook something up to my cable modem instead of buying a router? I know you guys were mentioning an access point but I am confused as to what exactly it is.
Im still a little confused about how all of this will work with my cable modem. Like i said i have an usb adaptor already and I wanna get the next part I need.
Thanks for your help so far guys, later.

The cable modem will plug into the WAN port on your wireless router and is the Internet coming "into" your wireless router. Then you either plug machines into the other ports on the wireless router, or you connect wirelessly. The router splits the Internet coming in and sends it to all your ports and across the wireless.

An access point simply converts your computer with only an ethernet port into a wireless device, and it works for only one device, no "routing." You would use one if you didn't want to install a wireless card or use a wireless USB adapter. Its a wireless device that looks like a router with a single network port on it that you can plug anything into to get on your wireless network. Here's the tricky part, sometimes your router is also referred to as an access point in Windows, etc.

As for different brands, its generally a good idea to stick with the same brand to make sure the cards and routers work best with each other. Your router might support WPA2, but your card might not. If you stick with not only the same brand, but the same "line" of wireless stuff (example DLink Extreme G cards and router) then you should never worry about using some security on your router that your card doesnt support. I have a little 802.11b USB adapter that I can't use on my home network because it doesn't support WPA security like all the rest of my security stuff. Sure I can lower my security, but that's a bad idea generally.

Hey bro... thanks for breaking it down in an easy way to understand. I thought my cable modem would plug into the wireless router but I wasnt positive hence the question.

I am going to compare the features etc on the adaptor to this router that is on sale and see if there is any major differences. If there is not i'll just go with the other brand router for now (not like it will break the bank, its only $20) and eventually get a belkin router to match when I have some extra money to spend. I would have gotten the belkin router today with the adaptor but I needed a new sound card too. I can live without the router for a week er 2 but I cant live w/o sound for a couple weeks lol.
Will my software firewall be sufficent enough for now? another question, I know routers come with hardware firewalls most of the time, does that replace software firewalls? Or is it a good idea to keep both? or just the hardware?

Play it safe, do both. The router does something called Network Address Translation, which is a basic firewall in some respects. But you'll want something on your desktops that's a little more intelligent. I honestly just use the Windows Firewall, its free and decent enough protection. If you are more paranoid, you can get something more.

Comcast gives me a free subscription to all mcafee security stuff since I am a customer. free access to Firewall, virus scan and privacy program. works for me

Back