Quick question regarding Windows XP Upgrade versions...

Hi guys.

To make a long story short, I am looking to build a new system within the next two months. I know Vista is coming out very soon, but I would personally like to stick with Windows XP for the time being. I have an old Dell with Windows XP on it, and my question is this. If I buy an "Upgrade" version of Windows XP, would the OEM Windows XP CD that came with my Dell be enough to cleanly install the Upgrade version onto my new system?

Thanks in advance.

MrGuvernment said:
why would you buy an XP upgrade when you have XP ?

I think he wants to use his Dell OEM XP discs to install on his new build, and then upgreade the license to make the install legit on his new system.

I honestly don't know the answer, but if it were me I'd just buy a new copy of xp and go from there.

ahhh

your dell oem disk will install on another system, but it may not activate, since it looks for something specific from the dell system.

you can try to change the CD key to the key on the side of your dell system as i recall dell doesnt actually use that serial number, they use a corprate one.

MrGuvernment said:
you can try to change the CD key to the key on the side of your dell system as i recall dell doesnt actually use that serial number

This is correct, but alot of those numbers have been killed off my ms, I don't think most of them will work.

Back