Quick Question re: 8800 GTX DDen cooler

i use a DD block.. with a C2Q oc'ed to 3.7.

my 8800 never goes over 42*C and oc's like a charm

DD block is smaller then the EK, it will free up a slot but just barely. The EK performs better though. EK's been kicking ass in FC blocks lately but they are bulky.

DD block is smaller then the EK, it will free up a slot but just barely. The EK performs better though. EK's been kicking ass in FC blocks lately but they are bulky.

I looked at the EK, too. Its very nice but appears thicker than the DD. I need the PCI slot that would be just underneath the 8800 so I'm sure it will be crazy tight. Cooling is needed, but realistically, it's the spot I'm after and the DD is the only way I can get it.:D

I don't think you're going to fit an second card in there even with the DDen.

I cannot recommend EK enough over DangerDen.

What kind of card is the PCI-card?

Yes thats correct, but I can buy this and be all set.......http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=240&products_id=21440

Allowing me to recover the adjacent PCI slot.:D:D Those DD guys think of everything.

You certainly can.

You'd still have a double width mounting bracket...

Not with the optional single slot mounting bracket.

I am assuming that if I put this:http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...k_DD_-_8800_GTX_8800_Ultra.html?tl=g30c87s585 deal on my GTX it will slim down the card to a single slot, rather than a double slot???? yes?

I need to come up with a way to salvage some space so I can use the PCI slot that is now covered by the stock cooler.

Thanks in advance.
Happy Holidays.

It will make the card a single slot solution. I've had two video cards, one RAID controller and a Creative X-Fi all on the same board thanks to those DD blocks.

The EK block is NOT 1 slot. I would assume the DD block is relatively similar too :eek:

The DD is one slot.

I looked at the EK, too. Its very nice but appears thicker than the DD. I need the PCI slot that would be just underneath the 8800 so I'm sure it will be crazy tight. Cooling is needed, but realistically, it's the spot I'm after and the DD is the only way I can get it.:D

Yeah the EK's are better, but the Danger Den block gets the job done and does it well. I have had very good results with mine.

Not with the optional single slot mounting bracket.

He already found one, post #3. I wanted to make sure he didn't forget to deal with it and have a nice "Doh!" moment come install time, but he has it covered.

He already found one, post #3. I wanted to make sure he didn't forget to deal with it and have a nice "Doh!" moment come install time, but he has it covered.

Thanks.....I really hadnt thought about the slot bracket until I was on the DD website and they had it listed on the page with the block.......yes, it would have been a really unsatisfying momment to say the least.

All this work is so I can keep my X-Fi card, BTW. I'm really disappointed, when looking at the new 780i board, that the slots are arranged such that there is nothing above the first PCI-e slot......if nvidia really believes in this triple SLI stuff, you can't put anything else on the board if you have stock GPU coolers....... My work currently is to free up slots on my 680i board.

Thanks for the input, Dan......I thought I had read somewhere where you had these blocks, essentially to free up space, other than the obvious cooling benefit.

Back