Quick Question: if CPU support up to 2.4GHz, why would a MB support memory speed up 3.8GHz?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Happy Hopping, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Happy Hopping

Happy Hopping [H]ardness Supreme

2. elite.mafia

elite.mafia Broke Back [H]

You can overclock the memory to higher speeds. The CPU only really supports those speeds out of the box.

drescherjm likes this.
  3. Happy Hopping

But Even if you over clock the memory to 3.8 GHZ, the CPU can only sync. with memory speed of up to DDR4 2.4GHz, so are those over clock speed going to down step back to 2.4GHZ?

4. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

No, that's only an "officially supported" stat. It is running at 3.8Ghz.

5. Happy Hopping

you mean the CPU can support memory up to 3.8GHz, but do you have to overclock the CPU to achieve that?

6. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Gawd

I believe that is the assumption. Remember too that the motherboard supports from the lowest bin to the highest of that cpu generation. So they also assume that if you are buying a high-spec motherboard that you intend to possibly overclock it. Ergo they tell you the upper limit of their memory support.

7. Denpepe

Denpepe Gawd

You don't have to overclock your CPU, the memory is overclocked usually via an XMP profile built into it and may or may not work at the overclocked speed depending on your CPU's memory controller. Most intel CPU's can use memory at higher speed then the ones they are certified for but this is not guaranteed the memory will however be able to be run safely and problem free at lower speeds.

8. Happy Hopping

I have seen Asus XMP before. But I am not clear if I use XMP, does that mean Asus is over clock both the CPU and the memory, or I have a choice of over clocking just the memory

because I can buy memory that are certified to be overclock at a certain speed, but Intel never really allow overclock on any of their CPU

9. elite.mafia

elite.mafia Broke Back [H]

Just because a CPU multiplier is locked doesn't mean the memory can't be overclocked. Technically you can overclock locked CPU's by increasing the frequency, but the gains usually are pretty minimal. It's the multiplier that is locked on Intel non-K CPU's. XMP is basically the memory telling the motherboard that the memory is designed to run at x speed and x timings. Some boards have it disabled by default, others enabled, but basically if you run without XMP your memory most likely will be running at DDR4-2133 or DDR4-2400 depending on the board. When you enable XMP it will run at its rated speeds and timings. XMP almost always works with Intel but with AMD Ryzen, especially first gen, you may have some issues if you don't buy QVL certified RAM.

10. Happy Hopping

the RAM I have in mind is Kingston HyperX Predator and they should be lifetime warranty

I assume you guys have all used Over Clocked memory. Is there any downside? such as Lock up? OS crash? Application software crash, freezes, blue screen etc.?

because I assume the gain is approx. 2X the memory speed

11. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

if you see people here talking about ram any higher than 2666 it is technically overclocked. not if you buy ram rated at the "overclocked" speed you want. no not 2x.

12. Happy Hopping

well then, what is the realistic speed that you guys gain to?

13. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

that depends on how concerned you are about having the absolute best performance and if you want to pay the price for it.

14. Happy Hopping

alright, in view of all these, I'll save the money. The DDR4 boot up time should be 3 sec., that's fast enough for me, although I prefer instant. There is no delay after that anyway