Quick question: Can pfSense be booted & ran off of a USB memory stick?

octoberasian

2[H]4U
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I believe they still recommend not using a SSD for pfsense

but I haven't looked in a while

edit: looks like anymore its not rec'd because of cost vs usb sticks and CF cards.

Last edited:
Woah that's a cool device! Too bad it's not 90 degrees though, would make it work for 1U cases. I guess you could probably modify it though. Would be great for VM servers too.

For pfsense I would still have a spindle drive for logs and stuff though otherwise it will kill flash memory. I'm not sure if there are ways to change where logs get written, I imagine there should be a way.

I believe they still recommend not using a SSD for pfsense

but I haven't looked in a while

edit: looks like anymore its not rec'd because of cost vs usb sticks and CF cards.

I believe the issue was related to constant read/writes that SSD are limited to but I could be wrong.

Use the nanobsd image and you'll have no issues. I killed a crucial ssd within two months with the standard image installed. Replacement was fine with the nanobsd image but I switched to using CF cards in the end anyway.

Correct, SSD's in firewalls with alot of logging enabled = no no, they get killed in months, literally...

if you limit the logging, you should be fine.

If you use good SSDs you can run a full installation with heavy logging just fine. I've had Intel 320 SSDs in a very large HA setup (~200mbps flowing through it during business hours protecting several networks including a public /24) that have been alive for a couple years no issue.

That said the first few crappy SSDs I tried to run in production burned up in a hurry.

I have a 4gb industrial SSD I got off ebay for like $30 in my pfSense box with no issue

I had PFSense running on a CF card for about a year before it finally quit. The box would boot, but would the DHCP service would stop within minutes and had issues with the webgui. Everything I found on the forums pointed at a worn out disk was the cause. So it may be working now, but it will just die eventually, typically at the worst times.

Back