Quick Poll on Rampage 2 GENE memory...

Which should I go with for the Rampage GENE?

• OCZ XMP

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • OCZ Platinum

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Corsair Dominator

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Other (please post your suggestion)

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

undertheradar

[H]ard|Gawd
The OCZ here is on the QVL list...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227388

The Corsair here isnt on it exactly... well, it looks like the 3GB version is (TR3X3G1600C8D), but not the 6GB...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224

'egg is running a promo where I can get the Corsair for $146, or I can just get the OCZ XMP for $92.99 ($72.99 after MIR, but Im not holding my breath on that). Both seem to have the same timings... is there something about the Corsair that I need to know that makes it better?

I also considered this, the OCZ platinum for $99.99, but it seems people are having more problems with this, and once again, its not exactly on the QVL list, but the OCZ3P1600LV3GK is (3GB package): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381

So... which one should I pick?!?!

I have tried 3 different kits of RAM, they all work fine.

Go with the cheapest DDR3 PC16000 6GB kit you can get.

Well, I would like to hit 3.6 GHz if not 4GHz considering I have water cooling, so I dont want to go too cheap and shoot myself in the foot. Thank you for the info though. It seems the Asus are more tolerant of various ram types. The Giga boards I have dealt with as of late have been very picky regarding this, so that is why I worry.

I went with the Patriot Viper PVT36G1600ELK.

It was listed in the QVL with ASUS, and since to trouble I had with my last board did'nt want to go with something that was'nt listed there,

My first choice was Corsair Dominator but it was'nt in stock at the time :mad:

but for now I liked the Patriot everything is running smooth and it was much cheaper then the Corsair

I just picked up this board too, and I also have no idea what ram to get!

Would I lose much performance if I purchased Crucial 1333 ram (the cas 9 1.5v stuff) and ran it at DDR3 1200 vs DDR3 1600 (assuming I can get bclk to 200)? I am new to i7 OC'ing; would 1333 ram hold back any OC? (I would be using a divider to run the RAM at or beneath 1333).

Or should I purchase the Gskill DDR3 1600 kit?

the 1333 RAM, should make it harder to get a good overclock, and when I was shopping for my RAM there's not much price difference between a good 1333 and a good 1600, so I guess you should better invest on 1600 memory, as for the G.skill never work with there RAM before I normally tend to stick with Corsair

If I get 1333 ram and run a divider, even at 4 GHz (I'd be happy with that OC) the ram would be at 1200. Would the system be stable / happy at DDR3 1200 vs DDR3 1600?

thanks!

If I get 1333 ram and run a divider, even at 4 GHz (I'd be happy with that OC) the ram would be at 1200. Would the system be stable / happy at DDR3 1200 vs DDR3 1600?

thanks!

Being that your question doesnt have anything to do with the original topic of this thread, I doubt you will get any meaningful responses... unless you are directing that at another poster directly (in which case, a PM is a better idea). Anyways, you should post that in a new thread rather than 'thread crapping' someone else's.

I believe You should be ok. When you choose ur fsb speed your ram goes up also

So the option to drop the ram speed is also there.

My buddy got the Rampage II Gene and can't get his 6GB kit of the OCZ Plat 1600 to work with 3 sticks, two sort of works but three no go. And it is on the QVL.

I had him bring it over and I messed with it for about an hour, couldn't get three sticks to even work at 1066.

Set the volts and timings manually as well. The minute you stick the third module in, no post.

I was suggesting he maybe get some Corsair XMS3 1600 instead.

Thoughts?

Back