Quick-playing games

Yippee38

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a game that I can play for a short amount of time at each sitting. I'm thinking about something that I could play for 15-30 minutes in a meaningful way. I mean, I could play Skyrim for 15 minutes, but it would take me 10 minutes to get into the game (loading Mod Organizer, loading the game, then loading the save). So I'm looking for something where I could each session could be broken into short pieces. I'm not really interesting in Mortal Kombat type game, or platformers. Pretty much anything else would be cool.

Any suggestions?

I'm looking for a game that I can play for a short amount of time at each sitting. I'm thinking about something that I could play for 15-30 minutes in a meaningful way. I mean, I could play Skyrim for 15 minutes, but it would take me 10 minutes to get into the game (loading Mod Organizer, loading the game, then loading the save). So I'm looking for something where I could each session could be broken into short pieces. I'm not really interesting in Mortal Kombat type game, or platformers. Pretty much anything else would be cool.

Any suggestions?

That sounds like you would want some Roguelike games. I suggest starting with Pocket Rogues, it has both a Steam and an Android version, save is compatible with both, and it's a fun dungeon crawler.

Not that much content right now, and plenty of grinding, but it gives you a good thrill and nice gameplay loop.

In for more suggestions. I'm sort of in the same boat.

Once you get to end game, Path of Exile isn't bad. A map can take anywhere from five to twenty minutes. Its not bad. Run a few maps, call it a night. But the issue is that the game does require a bit of knowledge. You have to setup trade windows, run third party programs, a skill planner, and a bunch of other stuff.

The mapping system is great though.

Not really a single game, but you can always fire up an NES, Genesis, SNES, arcade, etc. emulator and hop into a game pretty quickly. Classic games tend to load and get you right into the heart of the game in seconds. Emulators can save your progress even in game that didn't support saves natively.

Look at games like Rogue Legacy, dead cells, etc. All games where progress of your character is saved, but each 'run' only takes like 10-15 minutes.

Pretty much any story-driven linear game.
Quake, Half-Life, Doom, Wolfenstein, F.E.A.R., etc.

They all have very few cutscenes, quick saves, and are fast.

For this purpose I ALways play games that can be started quickly and you can quit any time with no strings attached. When I only want to play a few minutes I usually run beamng, or spintires, defense grid also can be played for short sessions.

Pocket Rogues looks good, though it's EA and I avoid those. I might pick it up once it's released. Wishlisted.
Grim Dawn - I don't think RPG type games would work well for what I'm looking for. The same applies to Quake, Half-Life, Doom, Wolfenstein, F.E.A.R.. Besides, I've played all of those latter suggestions except for F.E.A.R., which is in my backlog.
Half-Minutes Hero - meh. Maybe, but I'm not super into old-school jrpgs anymore. I kinda got burned out on them back in the day, even if this one gets rid of the tedious (walk slowly across town) mechanics.
Rogue Legacy, Dead Cells, and The Swapper are platformers. No.
Return of Obra Dinn looks really cool. I mean the artwork is unique and I like it. I don't really like "solve the mystery" type puzzle games. They're okay, but I get tired of them really quickly.
Hades looks like it might be what I'm looking for. Besides, the music is decent.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sunless Skies if you are into literary steam punk strange lovecraftian exploration. You can visit small parts of the map during short gameplay sessions.

Neo Turf Masters

Its a Golf game. You may dislike Golf games...until you play it.

Sunless Skies if you are into literary steam punk strange lovecraftian exploration. You can visit small parts of the map during short gameplay sessions.
I played Sunless Skies for a while. It was fun, but a bit heavy on the reading. The game's devs pissed me off though. I uninstalled the game.

Back