Quick Photoshop Question

Luca1

Limp Gawd
Hi,

Just out of curiosity, what is the most demanding task in Photoshop?

I am trying to compare 2 laptops side by side and would like to load up a heavy duty project and record the results.

Cheers,
Luca

As with everything, it depends.

First off, how big and diverse is the file you're working on.

Second, filters vary in whether they're CPU or GPU hogs.

It is more about the number of layers you have, the number of stacked adjustment layers, and the overall canvas pixel dimensions. Then the demanding part is when you brush onto it, and the size of the brush matters also. Larger the brush, slower it moves from my experience.

Photoshop is also sensitive to the speed of your hard drive because Photoshop needs a scratch folder for temp files.

More ram the better. Photoshop uses 4.5GB minimum on my computer. If I open one 36mp image it stays at 4.5GB. So not sure if that amount of memory is just for my performance settings or what. I've seen more than 20GB used before.

My experience is with no GPU acceleration. Supposedly my ATI 4870 is supported, but I experienced a whole bunch of screen corruption, so I had to turn GPU acceleration off.

There was a set of filter tests with sample images that you ran and just used a stop watch to see how long it took.
I can't seem to find the site that had the actions and the sample images.

There was a set of filter tests with sample images that you ran and just used a stop watch to see how long it took.
I can't seem to find the site that had the actions and the sample images.

That would be perfect

As with everything, it depends.

First off, how big and diverse is the file you're working on.

Second, filters vary in whether they're CPU or GPU hogs.

Hi, I'm not working on a project. I am trying to set up a real world benchmark and record the results between 2 devices.

Ideally I would like to max it out somehow to stress test, but I loaded up hundreds of layers of photos and text and the device barely takes a hit.

Any thoughts on what type of layers would be the most demanding?

Back