Quick Help: Swiftech Apogee HD vs XSPC Raystorm Copper

Neo Zuko

Limp Gawd
Which is the better block between the two, considering mounting system/build quality/performance/aesthetics? Using with a MCP35X2.

The Raystorm for a CPU/GPU loop. Very similar results to the HD at a better cost with less flow restriction.

If its just a CPU loop though, the HD has top notch thermal transfer.

Apogee HD = $60

Raystorm = $50

Raystorm All Copper = $95

Plus shipping from Sidewinders.

Last edited:
I suppose the advantages of the Raystorm Copper VS the cheaper regular edition remains to be seen, but I like the looks of the all copper version. Ordering soon, anyone else?

Last edited:
Loop will be a 3770K CPU, dual AquaComputer full card waterblocked 680 Lightning GPUs, the Swiftech MCP35X2 pump with possibly the Swiftech MCP35X2 reservoir, possibly another AquaComputer AquaPort fill port reservoir up top (or I may just use this reservoir without the Swiftech one), and a 4x140mm Black Ice SR-1 Rad, possibly another 2x140 Black Ice SR-1 Rad if it will help temps or noise any, cooled via bitspower 140-120mm adapter shrouds and 4-6 120mm GT AP-15 fans depending on if I get the second rad or not. The rads will all go on the bottom compartment of the TJ11 case.

Last edited:
I'd go with the raystorm for that loop. The HD is just too restrictive.

Since you're going with AquaComputer full blocks on the cards, why not the AquaComputer Kryos cpu block?

I read that AquaComputer CPU block is fantastic but with a mediocre mounting system. And if I'm going for sheer looks, I like the Raystorm Copper a bit more, but I don't know how the mounting system compares. From what I read everybody likes the Swiftech mounting system except for a few people.

They mount a little differently, but essentially they both attach to a back plate. The main difference being that on the Aquacomputer block, you attach the back plate to the board and then the block to the back plate, versus on the Raystorm, it's done in one step. After that, it's just a matter of tightening down to recommended specs.

Once you get the backplate for the AquaComputer block in place, it should be cake though.

Be sure to check the backplate compatability to the motherboard though. I had to dremel out parts of my XSPC Rasa's 1156/1155 backplate to work on my P8Z77-V Deluxe. I'm pretty sure the Raystorm uses the same backplate.

I guess it would be nice to have a matching AquaComputer CPU block, does anyone else recommend it over the first two I mentioned? If so, which is the one to get, I see quite a few variations.

IIRC, the mounting mechanism on the AC block is a bitch.

Between the Apogee HD and Raystorm, the HD supposedly has a little better thermal performance, but the Raystorm is less restrictive. With your pumps, though, restriction is essentially a moot point.

IIRC, the mounting mechanism on the AC block is a bitch.

Between the Apogee HD and Raystorm, the HD supposedly has a little better thermal performance, but the Raystorm is less restrictive. With your pumps, though, restriction is essentially a moot point.

Just because he is gonna have obnoxious head pressure doesn't mean his flow will be good with an HD.

Just because he is gonna have obnoxious head pressure doesn't mean his flow will be good with an HD.

Yeah, but he only needs about 1 GPM of flow for decent temps. That said, I've heard that using the multiple ports on the Apogee HD cuts down on the restriction, but I don't know if OP is interested in setting up parallel parts to his loop.

I could go crazy and get the Apogee Drive II plus a mcp35x2! Overkill... Fatality... Neo Zuko Wins!! LOL.

I COULD set up several Apogee HD outlets, but I'm not sure I have enough things in my loop to feed 3 outlets. I need to draw diagrams of my loop.

:::EDIT:::

Ah decided on the Koolance CPU-380i

Last edited:
HD works well and is more versatile if you should ever want to run it in parallel.

Back