Quick and dirty Asrock Taichi x370 review/experience.

hondaman

The OG Hondaman
1) Bought a Taichi, Ryzen 1700 and 16 gigs of EVGA 3200 mhz ram from Microcenter. Why EVGA ram? It was the cheapest 3200 ram they had and it chaffes me that we are getting screwed on DDR4 ram prices right now.

2) The BIOS version from the factory my board shipped with doesn't have a built in flash utility which means you have to flash from a bootable DOS usb stick. Since I'm a linux guy, I don't have an easy way to make one because I don't have a windows computer handy. My board wouldn't boot at 3200 mhz ram so I went to Frys and purchased some Corsair Vengance LED 3200 ram. It wouldn't boot at 3200 ram either. I have to flash the BIOS I say to myself.

3) Install Ubuntu 16.10 on my Taichi/Ryzen setup on a spare ssd at 2100 mhz ram. Then install a Windows 7 VM in KVM and made a bootable USB stick.

4) Flashed to 1.60. The corsair ram still wouldn't work at 3200. Flashed to 1.94a beta using the now available flash utility in BIOS and the corsair ram still wouldn't work at 3200. Put the EVGA ram back in, and it booted at 3200 without a hitch.

5) Haven't tried overclocking yet. I'm not really that worried about it. The internet says I'll get 3.7-3.9ghz and I'll be happy with that.

Last edited:
1) Bought a Taichi, Ryzen 1700 and 16 gigs of EVGA 3200 mhz ram from Microcenter. Why EVGA ram? It was the cheapest 3200 ram they had and it chaffes me that we are getting screwed on DDR4 ram prices right now.

2) The BIOS version from the factory my board shipped with doesn't have a built in flash utility which means you have to flash from a bootable DOS usb stick. Since I'm a linux guy, I don't have an easy way to make one because I don't have a windows computer handy. My board wouldn't boot at 3200 mhz ram so I went to Frys and purchased some Corsair Vengance LED 3200 ram. It wouldn't boot at 3200 ram either. I have to flash the BIOS I say to myself.

3) Install Ubuntu 16.10 on my Taichi/Ryzen setup on a spare ssd at 2100 mhz ram. Then install a Windows 7 VM in KVM and made a bootable USB stick.

4) Flashed to 1.60. The corsair ram still wouldn't work at 3200. Flashed to 1.94a beta using the now available flash utility in BIOS and the corsair ram still wouldn't work at 3200. Put the EVGA ram back in, and it booted at 3200 without a hitch.

5) Haven't tried overclocking yet. I'm not really that worried about it. The internet says I'll get 3.7-3.9ghz and I'll be happy with that.

You are extremely lucky the EVGA stick worked right away on the 1.94 beta bios. 3200 even with the best and most compatible ram is still a bit of a gamble. I myself got 3200 16GB per stick ram for my Taichi knowing that I probably (and can't) run it at 3200 now but as the board is updated I might eventually. I am even fine if I have to settle at 2933 or something like that. But buying blind like that and just having it work. Well like I said very lucky.

Anyways glad your build has gone so well so far.

1)

You can download a fully functional DOS boot image and create the bootable USB under Linux, Windows is not required in any way, shape or form.

You are extremely lucky the EVGA stick worked right away on the 1.94 beta bios. 3200 even with the best and most compatible ram is still a bit of a gamble. I myself got 3200 16GB per stick ram for my Taichi knowing that I probably (and can't) run it at 3200 now but as the board is updated I might eventually. I am even fine if I have to settle at 2933 or something like that. But buying blind like that and just having it work. Well like I said very lucky.

Anyways glad your build has gone so well so far.

If you buy Ryzen certified ram, you can get your full 3200mhz . I bought G. SKILL Flare X ddr4 3200 cl 14-14-14 dimms. They are Ryzen certified. In a two dimm configuration I am running at 3200mhz. 4 dimm confurations are still slow at 2400mhz. Agesa bios fix in May hopefully will raise the 4 dimm speeds Frame rates in Cinebench 15.0 rose anout 20% with the ram running at 3200mhz instead of 2400mhz.

Asrock Taichi x370 bios 1.5.
G.Skill tridenz 2*16GB DS (3200 cl 16-16-16-36)@ 2666 cl 16-16-16-36.

If you buy Ryzen certified ram, you can get your full 3200mhz . I bought G. SKILL Flare X ddr4 3200 cl 14-14-14 dimms. They are Ryzen certified. In a two dimm configuration I am running at 3200mhz. 4 dimm confurations are still slow at 2400mhz. Agesa bios fix in May hopefully will raise the 4 dimm speeds Frame rates in Cinebench 15.0 rose anout 20% with the ram running at 3200mhz instead of 2400mhz.

Mine is dual rank Samsung B-Die. It's a limit of BIOS/IMC at this point. I can wait it out and honestly for the most important part capacity matters more than speed. I can lose a couple frames in the games I play.

Back