questions regarding intel S5520SC

tsubasa hanekawa

Limp Gawd
hello, i've recently made the move to an intel S5520SC (needed price/performance and performence/power use both of which i got as it was cheap and im using L5640's too) but my question is as follows: i have heard about that the board doesn't officially support non ECC ram and so because of this im wondering if anyone's tried it with non ECC ram? if it works i might be able to get myself some cheap ish half decent ram from a friend.

many thanks in advanced

T.H

The techical product specification ( http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520sc/sb/e39530010_s5520sc_tps_r1_7.pdf ) has the line

"Non-ECC memory is not supported and has not been validated in a server
environment"
Given the second part of that line I would interpret "not supported" as "we won't give you tech support if you do it" rather than "it won't work" but I still wouldn't want to buy a load of non-ecc memory without testing first.

yeah ill be trying that shortly, not tri channel but at the very least dual, only have another 2 dimms in the house and i can only steal them temporarily but it's something XD

edit: at the time of writing the post i was at college so unable to test it myself.

forgot to report back last night but anyways i have come to the conclusion that it will not work with non ecc ram, with only non ecc it doesn't post, same as with ecc and non ecc so for this board the limit for ram is ECC only and no exceptions, unless it's the ram of course but im doubtful of that

me being a bit of an idiot at times i didn't look at the little sticker on the side panel of the case, seems i put it in the wrong slots/socket so it had a hissy fit, had the bright idea to try again in A1 and B1 (the RIGHT ones this time XD ) and it does indeed work with non ECC ram.

Back