Questions on new Ryzen 3600 build

biggles

2[H]4U
Today I upgraded the PC from an Intel 4690k to a Ryzen 3600, yay!

Questions:
1. The ram is Adata XPG Gammix D30 PC4 28800 DDR4 3600. In cpu-z it shows as 1331 mhz. Since it is double data rate, I assume this means it runs out of the box at 2666 mhz. To get to 3600 mhz, use xmp profile in bios/uefi, correct?
2. The computer idles at about 40C with the stock cooler, does that look right? The Corsair Obsidian case currently has 3 fans running, 2 intake in the front and one exhaust on top. I may add a 4th fan to the back for exhaust.
3. Is it better to go to the Asus website for software rather than using the disk that came in the box?
4. Since the system seems to be working normally, should I still check for bios/uefi updates?
5. Back to the Asus motherboard software, anything there really useful to install, or is it just bloatware? Overclocking or system monitoring tools maybe?

re: the bios and drivers,
updating to the latest of both seems beneficial on Ryzen stuff to get the best stability and performance. Getting the drivers straight from AMD instead of the board manufacturer can ensure you're really getting the newest version.

1. Correct, you need to enable XMP or DOCP, whatever it's called.
2. 0 problem with that.
3. Yes, except for what above poster mentioned about AMD chipset drivers.
4. Yes, sometimes helps with RAM XMP stability.
5. Normally no? Not sure heh

A couple more questions:
1. To add a 4th case fan, can I plug this into AIO PUMP 4 pin connector of motherboard? Or is there an easy way to split a cable from one of the case fan connectors from the board? All 3 case fan connectors from the motherboard are currently in use.
2. The Corsair 450d case default fan config is 2 fans in front and 1 in back exhaust. My current config has back fan in top instead exhausting air. Would the default fan setup give better cooling?
3. Is there data somewhere showing the following "normal" temps with stock cooler: idle, gaming load, stress test load? Pro reviews tend to use aftermarket cooling. Google searches show folks having troubles, not normal temps.

I am seeing 40C idle, 83C Assassins Creed Syndicate (gaming load estimate). Have not run stress tests yet.

A couple more questions:
1. To add a 4th case fan, can I plug this into AIO PUMP 4 pin connector of motherboard? Or is there an easy way to split a cable from one of the case fan connectors from the board? All 3 case fan connectors from the motherboard are currently in use.
2. The Corsair 450d case default fan config is 2 fans in front and 1 in back exhaust. My current config has back fan in top instead exhausting air. Would the default fan setup give better cooling?
3. Is there data somewhere showing the following "normal" temps with stock cooler: idle, gaming load, stress test load? Pro reviews tend to use aftermarket cooling. Google searches show folks having troubles, not normal temps.

I am seeing 40C idle, 83C Assassins Creed Syndicate (gaming load estimate). Have not run stress tests yet.
1. You can split and add fans to your fan risers using a Y cable or a fan hub, but most are 2A max. You can also use a fan hub that uses SATA power, and the MB signal to control the fans. IF your MB has 3 fan risers at 2A each, lol, you do not need a fan hub of any sort. As long as your fan load doesn't exceed 2A per riser, you'll be fine. I've forgotten if the AIO riser is fan compatible. It should be because you can pug AIO pumps into CPU fan risers, again, as long as you do not exceed the max amps of the riser. On Gigabyte boards, that would be 2A.
2. Anytime you can get a fan in the top, it's the best option.
3. As you are experiencing, the 3600 runs hot, or has the potential to run hot. AMD Auto OC's their CPUs as long as you have the cooling to keep it going. I've noticed that the 3600 starts throttling itself after about 80-83C. If you keep it below 78C you'll get maximum Mhz from it. If you have your cooler properly seated, then what I would do is open the case and turn the fans all on 100% including the CPU fan. Then see what your temps are playing your game.

The stock stealth cooler is not going to cool your 3600 enough to keep it from throttling under a max load like P95 can give it. Good news is you'll never see that type of stress on your CPU, and your case will probably heat up more playing games due to your video card.

However, I thnk 83C playing a game is a little warm, even for the stock cooler, but again, take off your case panels and manually set the fans to 100%, especially the CPU fan.

If you are in the tropics sitting in an unairconditioned room at a 32C with 60% humidity, then, well, yer fucked. lol

I've been testing my rig with many different variations of cooling and I'll post back to let you know what I get in P95. I've been hovering around 80C in a 23-24C ambient temperature environment, and I've tested it with voltage offsets, disabled power boost, etc. It's pretty constant whatever I do, that is, within 2-3 C running P95. I'm running a 230MM AIO.

--OK, so I just checked my BIOS and I had an -.05v offset to see if it would run cooler. I changed it back to 0.0.
--Precision Boost is DISABLED.

Case: Corsair Crystal 280X mATX (The top panel is off for this test. Everything else is as you see it.)
-CC-9011136-WW-Gallery-280X-WHT-01.png
Cooler: Enermax Aquafusion 240mm mounted in the top exhausting air
aquafusion_240_white_gallery_04.jpg

I have a custom cooling profile that I have determined to cool within 1-2C as good as using Max AIO pump speed and max fan speeds. I have my top glass exhaust panel off, but the side panels are on. I'm only using 3 Noctua 140mm intake fans, as the other one is getting painted :).

Prime 95 Max Temps: Run time 15 minutes
----
Fan speeds:
AIO fans max RPM is 2000. Currently running at:1750
Intake Case Fans max RPM is 1200, running at: 1000RPMs
AIO Pumo max RPMs 3200, currently running at about 2950.
----
CPU: 3893Mhz stable
TEMPS MAX: 81 +/- 1C
----
IDLE TEMPS: 33-34C

Adding a voltage offset of -.05v decreases max temps by 1-2C, but does nothing for idle. However, it also lowers CPU speed by about 50Mhz when stressing the CPU. I just haven't seen much benifit from the offset as others have.

Last edited:
Update, I purchased an Arctic Freezer 34 tower style cooler and it should arrive next week. Will update with new temps after it is installed. The home office environment ambient temp is 22-23C. We do use air conditioning here when it gets hot outside.

Update, I purchased an Arctic Freezer 34 tower style cooler and it should arrive next week. Will update with new temps after it is installed. The home office environment ambient temp is 22-23C. We do use air conditioning here when it gets hot outside.
Please post back with temps! Will be interesting.

Back