Questions about using VPN's

Airbrushkid

2[H]4U
I am running a VPN on my main pc. Can I run another pc behind the main pc that has the VPN? Or do I have to put a VPN on the second pc?

Thank you

I am running a VPN on my main pc. Can I run another pc behind the main pc that has the VPN? Or do I have to put a VPN on the second pc?

Thank you
which vpn? most paid ones support 5+ devices on one account. so youd just install it on the other pc.

That's not a problem the pc I want to run behind my main is a windows 7. And the stop supporting it.

Putting aside the dubiousness of still running Win7 or continuously using a VPN...

I would suspect, but can't confirm, that Windows Internet Connection Sharing would allow you to place the Win7 box behind your main system and utilize its VPN connection. You may need a second ethernet NIC in the main and connect the other PC directly to it (been a long time since I've messed with the built-in connection sharing).

A better option might be to get a router that has its own VPN client support.

Why are you running a vpn in the first place? What problem does that solve for you?

Thank you. Wow using a VPN is not against the law. Yet you get these Keystone cops running around what are you doing. You should be more worried about how our Government keeps ripping us off.

Well running Windows 7 is nothing wrong with doing it. Never had a problem with the OS just hardware that had nothing to do with the OS!! I am so glad you trust Microsoft with your info that keep making their money off of!!! Been using VPN 's for the last 8 - 9 years.

Putting aside the dubiousness of still running Win7 or continuously using a VPN...

I would suspect, but can't confirm, that Windows Internet Connection Sharing would allow you to place the Win7 box behind your main system and utilize its VPN connection. You may need a second ethernet NIC in the main and connect the other PC directly to it (been a long time since I've messed with the built-in connection sharing).

A better option might be to get a router that has its own VPN client support.

Well running Windows 7 is nothing wrong with doing it. Never had a problem with the OS just hardware that had nothing to do with the OS!! I am so glad you trust Microsoft with your info that keep making their money off of!!! Been using VPN 's for the last 8 - 9 years.

All the same telemetry and other reporting in Win10/11 was backported into Win7/8 long ago. The only thing you've gained by continuing to run Win7 is an insecure system, as MS ended all support for the OS years ago.

As for VPN providers, they offer no inherent security. About all they're good for is utilizing possibly-sketchy open WiFi or shifting your apparent location to stream geo-locked content. They can obscure your behavior from your ISP, but all you're doing there is moving that collection to the VPN provider itself.

As for VPN providers, they offer no inherent security. About all they're good for is utilizing possibly-sketchy open WiFi or shifting your apparent location to stream geo-locked content. They can obscure your behavior from your ISP, but all you're doing there is moving that collection to the VPN provider itself.

And?

It's the ISP that emails if you do something naughty, not an upstream VPN provider. They work exactly as intended and work well.

Well I don't think so. I stop updates very long time ago. Around when Windows 8 had already been out for a awhile. And all I ever see for any updates is their Windows Defender. Which I never let in. I be more worried if I was on Win 10 or 11! Thank you for treating me as though I am stupid! And I know what the limits of VPN's are. The Windows 7 pc is only connected to the internet at most 30 minutes a day if that. Some days it's never connected.

The ISP has never emailed except when the bill is do.

All the same telemetry and other reporting in Win10/11 was backported into Win7/8 long ago. The only thing you've gained by continuing to run Win7 is an insecure system, as MS ended all support for the OS years ago.

Aside from the back and forth about using a VPN or using win7, you will have to use another vpn client on the win7 system or a way to share the connection downstream of the win10 system like sharing the connection to a second nic which goes into a router that the win7 system connects to or that connects to the win10 system directly. And as long as you lock down win7 somehow (timefreez, reboot restorerx, etc), it will be fine.

Stupid here. Can someone tell what's different between a Router VPN and software VPN like from the ones you can get. Say NordVPN, ExpressVPN?

Stupid here. Can someone tell what's different between a Router VPN and software VPN like from the ones you can get. Say NordVPN, ExpressVPN?
one is software on your computers, the other is built into the router.

Many of the VPN providers use OpenVPN as their software client. Some firewalls have OpenVPN client support. pfSense being one of them.

So if the company supports it and will let you use your own router-firewall (ie. client) with their OpenVPN parameters, that becomes an option. Depending on how good your firewall is (umm...like pfSense) you can mix and match what goes through the VPN. One computer, many, different times, etc.

I bought a new Asus RT-AX1800S. Never tried to figure out the VPN on the Router. I always paid for a service. I have a VPN Server, a VPN Client and Instant Guard and all 3 have PPTP, OpenVPN an IPSec VPN. Don't really what any of this is and how to set up.

I bought a new Asus RT-AX1800S. Never tried to figure out the VPN on the Router. I always paid for a service. I have a VPN Server, a VPN Client and Instant Guard and all 3 have PPTP, OpenVPN an IPSec VPN. Don't really what any of this is and how to set up.
Honestly, if you don't really know what it is, then you don't need it. This the best explanation and is why I personally think these consumer vpn providers are just a scam unless you have a use case where you need one:

Well I don't tell you what you need or don't. My opinion is like yours. Everyone has one. And everyone cannot speak for the others! I ask for help not to be told what to do that has nothing to do with what I am asking. I am sorry.

Honestly, if you don't really know what it is, then you don't need it. This the best explanation and is why I personally think these consumer vpn providers are just a scam unless you have a use case where you need one:

Well I don't tell you what you need or don't. My opinion is like yours. Everyone has one. And everyone cannot speak for the others! I ask for help not to be told what to do that has nothing to do with what I am asking. I am sorry.
All I can say is fool and his money if you're trying to do something and don't even understand why you're doing it.

To set up your vpn to a vpn service you will need a vpn client (which you have) and then follow the instructions of the provider as they all use different methods--pptp, openvpn or ipsec. But be prepared to spend some time as I've set up IPsec vpn tunnels between our sites and even I found vpn provider's instructions to be lacking.

Thank you.

All I can say is fool and his money if you're trying to do something and don't even understand why you're doing it.

To set up your vpn to a vpn service you will need a vpn client (which you have) and then follow the instructions of the provider as they all use different methods--pptp, openvpn or ipsec. But be prepared to spend some time as I've set up IPsec vpn tunnels between our sites and even I found vpn provider's instructions to be lacking.

And?

It's the ISP that emails if you do something naughty, not an upstream VPN provider. They work exactly as intended and work well.
It's actually the owner of the public IP that gets the notice and in turn notifies the user. The fact the IP owner is usually the ISP is just circumstance.

Back