Questions about upgrading memory

Tofu Drift

Limp Gawd
I am running two sticks of 256MB DDR400 Kingston Value RAM (CL3) in dual channel for my P4 3.0E. Being a greedy prick, I see 512 as not quite enough and would like to upgrade to at least a gig. I'm not a hardcore PC gamer (maybe 5-7 hours a week) and I don't really consider myself an extreme power user of any resource-taxing applications.

I know it's best to get sticks of same CL as the ones I have now. Would it be possible to get 2x512 to add to my 2x256? Also, is it better to run fewer mem modules (2--as in 2x512) rather than more (4--as in 4x256)? Will I see much of a difference in moving to a lower latency RAM considering my usage (not a lot of games)?

Thanks in advance!

Since were talking about upgrading RAM I have a question. I need to upgrade my dual channel DDR 400 RAM from 512 MB to 1024 MB. How much will this cost?

Tofu Drift said:
I am running two sticks of 256MB DDR400 Kingston Value RAM (CL3) in dual channel for my P4 3.0E. Being a greedy prick, I see 512 as not quite enough and would like to upgrade to at least a gig. I'm not a hardcore PC gamer (maybe 5-7 hours a week) and I don't really consider myself an extreme power user of any resource-taxing applications.

I know it's best to get sticks of same CL as the ones I have now. Would it be possible to get 2x512 to add to my 2x256? Also, is it better to run fewer mem modules (2--as in 2x512) rather than more (4--as in 4x256)? Will I see much of a difference in moving to a lower latency RAM considering my usage (not a lot of games)?

Thanks in advance!

Less ram sticks is better IMO, i may be wrong anyway.

Go with 2x512 of low latency ram for a nice speed boost

OldMX

Back