Questions about proxy servers

rlee

Gawd
Here's the scenario, I have a router, a couple of machines connected to this router. I was wondering, how can I direct traffic from the internet to these machines? The first thing that came up was to use a proxy server (socks?). The proxy could also provide security features, correct (firewall, virus scan, etc)? I want all inbound data thats coming from the internet to go through the proxy before it reaches the computer, and all outbound to go through the proxy as well. Is that how it works? How would I set something up like this? Would this provide enough protection for the machines behind the router? Are there any other options? Thanks :D

there are different types of proxy servers. if you want an application proxy you will need a server for each service you are proxying. you could set up squid for HTTP/SSL, sendmail or postfix for SMTP, ftp-proxy for FTP, etc. you could set these all up on a single machine though. you could also setup a seperate instance of each piece of software for outbound connections as well.

to just be able to redirect traffic to those machines though all you need is to forward the ports necessary.

You don't need a proxy server to get the connected to the internet. The only reason you would need a proxy is to cache traffic, maybe do virus scan, and possibly access control.

But, for a home, you aren't going to see large benifit from having one. So, any of the cheap SO-HO routers will provide an adequate level of protection and allow you to share your connection.

But, if you must install a proxy, you can start with something simple by using the one built-in to IPCop. You could add the CopFilter add on to do virus scanning. The Advanced Proxy and URL filter add ons will give you the access control piece.

This isn't for home, my example is just to simplify it. But basically, this Client software/application on all the machines has a built in feature that allows you to connect through a proxy. I just need to build the proxy part and have all the clients connect through the proxy for security purposes. Does that mean I need an application proxy? thx

you don't need an application proxy. that is just one kind of proxy and it is a common one. what are you going to be proxying? what type of traffic is this?

rlee said:
This isn't for home, my example is just to simplify it. But basically, this Client software/application on all the machines has a built in feature that allows you to connect through a proxy. I just need to build the proxy part and have all the clients connect through the proxy for security purposes. Does that mean I need an application proxy? thx

Define your reasoning for "security purposes" and what application you are trying to configure.

Why would a proxy be more "secure" when using said application vs not using a proxy?

Most applications that support proxies do so as an option. If your network has a proxy server and that's what users use to get to the internet, the applications that support the proxy will usually tunnel their traffic over the proxy port to get to the internet.

I guess what I am saying is that most applications support proxies for compatability and not security.

What do you mean what type of traffic? I guess it's internet traffic, the application processes data and sends it back to a server outside.

The application is the worldcommunitygrid.org client. The reason for a proxy is, at least that's what I thought, is it sort of acts as a filter to ensure whats coming in/out is safe, i.e. firewall/virus scans/malware scans etc.

Back