Questions about M.2 adaptors - Will one work if I already have 2 M.2 drives plugged into MB? Any recommendations on models?

Stevarian

Limp Gawd
Call me clueless, but I just recently discovered the existence of NVMe M.2 adaptors (from a response in another thread of mine). I have an ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VIII motherboard and Ryzen 5950X CPU for my sytem. I already have 2 M.2 drives slotted into the motherboard.

I have a spare M.2 drive, and I thought I could use an adaptor to add it to my system for extra storage. Would there be any problems, or would the M.2 on the adaptor be "slower" than normal? I think my motherboard and CPU should be able to handle it fine, but I admit that I don't have a good grasp on the idea of lanes (x4, x16 etc).

And assuming that an adaptor with the M.2 would work fine, what model of adaptor do you recommend? I have found several on Amazon, some quite inexpensive. I see that ASUS has one that can handle 4 M.2 drives, but it is a bit more expensive.

Thanks in advance!

youll be limited by what slot you put it in, the bottom slot should give you pcie4 x4 though

What about PCIe version? I think most adapters only claim to be 3.0 compatible. I know they are (usually) passive, but it's possible that some don't meet 4.0 or 5.0 electrical specs (traces too long or whatever).

What about PCIe version? I think most adapters only claim to be 3.0 compatible. I know they are (usually) passive, but it's possible that some don't meet 4.0 or 5.0 electrical specs (traces too long or whatever).
there are 4.0 adapters out there but yes most are only 3.0, gotta dig for 4.0

https://sabrent.com/products/EC-PCIE

Own 2 and worked fine for my usage

• Enjoy extremely fast transfer speeds via PCIe lanes.
  • Includes a heatsink and thermal padding.
  • SSD bus interface: NVMe. (NOT compatible with SATA M.2 SSD)
  • SSD form factor: M.2 M-Key. (NOT compatible with B-Key SSD)
  • PCI Express physical interface: PCIe x16/x8/x4 slot.
  • Logical interface / PCIe lanes: x4.
  • Compatible Sizes: 2230 / 2242 / 2260 / 2280.
  • NOTE: It will not fit a PCIe x1 slot.
  • All necessary screws are included.

Awesome, thank you!

I also have two of these, and then I recently got a 4.0 version, Both work fine, but i've had one of those sabrent ones working for literal years with zero issues at this point.

I also have two of these, and then I recently got a 4.0 version, Both work fine, but i've had one of those sabrent ones working for literal years with zero issues at this point.
Ya, and being the Sabrent name, tend to hope they are better built than most of the random no name ones all over amazon and other stores , with the same PCB but weird random company names on em.

Back