Questions about current best 27" 1080p60

Richard Jones

Limp Gawd
Hi All!

So I've read all the reviews and opinions I could find about the current best 27" 1080p60 monitors but there were few things I couldn't quite sort out just by reading.
(or I didn't read right yeah ^^)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1803228

Just to be clear I'm going to use my next monitor essentially for gaming, with PC (emulators), consoles (Sonycrosoft), and external video scalers (XRGB & DVDO for retro stuff).

1. Iiyama XB2783HSU-B1
The prad.de review mentions an issue with the lower resolutions aspect ratio control.
It seems to say 1280x720 is stretched only horizontally, not filling the screen.
Is this true or did they miss something ?
Because I need proper screen filling for lower 16:9 resolutions, also proper 4:3 with black bars for resolutions as low as 640x480 or 720x480.

2. Iiyama XB2783HSU-B1 vs. Asus VN279QLB
Is the Iiyama really only superior just because it's PWM-free ?
The Asus's pulse frequency is said to be over 2000Hz, isn't that as good as being genuinely PWM-free ?

3. Samsung S27D390H vs. S27D590P
I've read NCX's comment about the D390 being more suited for PC but I don't get why. :confused:
Isn't it just as good an all-rounder for all kinds of sources (pc, consoles, blu-ray) as the D590 is ?

4. VA vs IPS/PLS (both with good RTC/overdrive)
I know everyone writes the IPS/PLS offer faster pixel transitions, and the VA better contrast/blacks, but one thing that confuses me is all the talk about the RTC/overdrive features.
According to the reviews all mentioned models are supposed to have well-implemented and efficient RTC, however none clearly highlights how well they do against each other.
So my question is; would you say the IPS/PLS there (well only the Samsungs in this case) are really visibly faster/snappier compared to all the VAs ?

Any advice/opinion welcome, thanks for your help ! :)

PS: I'll be interested in 1440p monitors the day they provide way under 1 frame input lag and real good upscaling for most lower resolutions... and are not cheap Korean products with dice-roll quality and poor reselling networks. :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks I read that thread already but some details are easy to miss.

1. -> Completely missed that part about aspect being correct through HDMI.
Still, I'm wondering if it's the same with the VGA input (which I'll need for 640x480 & 720x480)

2. -> Well, I haven't seen mention of genuine flicker-free VS. 2000+Hz PWM anywhere (?)

3. -> Still don't get why sorry.

4. -> I assume the answer is; yes.

Last edited:
Samsung is good Asus is good
BenQ sucks donkey balls.
PWM is good on all ASUS monitors don't worry about it you will be affected by brightness more then PWM then anything.

0.) Ignore Comixbooks
1.) 720p scaling is only an issue when using DVI
2.) The iiyama has faster pixel response times (compare PRAD's oscilloscope measurements) and slightly better colors than the Asus
3.) The 390H only has 1x HDMI input and is cheaper. No point in paying more for the 590's extra HDMI input if the monitor will only be used with a PC.
4.) PRAD, Svetehardware, Extrahardware CZ all provide oscilloscope measurements which can be compared. Certain VA panel pixel transitions are usually slower, whether one notices the difference is obviously going to vary.

Thanks a lot NCX, It's all perfectly clear now. :)

Though I have to admit I completely failed at understanding those measurements. Guess I need to educate myself about those (technical stuff under google trad is quite tough though).

Okay I've narrowed my choice to XB2783HSU-B1 and S27D390H then.
Damn I wish I could buy both. ^^

Back